The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Wow! Prothane Motor Mount Install!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnoopySLR

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2002
Highland, Michigan
God, I've done some hard jobs before, but these mounts gave me more problems than putting a clutch in by myself. I wish I could drive my car and try them right now, but I'm waiting on my intake manifold. Just wanted to warn anyone who might want to do the motor mounts. Its a job. Anyone else put them in? How did your install go?

I Did mine with a Air hammer.. But its a pain to Bend the metal Sleave part down... I had to do that then Hammer the Hell out of it to get them to come off, Other words,If you have a Air hammer or chizle(cant spell) then its not so hard but yeah it is a pain in the a$$

Yessir. It's definately a job. I think I hit it with a hammer more then anything...

P.S- HOw do you like it? Did you notice anything different? I'm not sure if I like mine, theres LOTS of vibration, but I must say, wheel hop has decreased dramatically...

I seriously sometimes think about taking my transmission and side mount out and just going with the front and back.

Energy suspension's red stuff shakes really bad fyi, but like blitz said wheel hop is now seldom compared to before.

Wow back from the dead... That was over 2 years ago! I've been contemplating doing the mounts, but I have heard it's a pain. Probably will, though.

With the right tools its easy. A press makes things so much easier. I recommend buying one if you have the extra cash.

Would def agree to the big pain in the ass those mounts are.. i cant even count how many times weve had to intall those for customers, we even have a press but they still dont like to come out, i couldnt even imagine it with hand tools

are they really worth it ? my mounts are shot, i can feel my engine shift in between shifts and i have real bad wheel hop, But do they make the engine feel rough ? like vibrate alot more than usual? thats one thing that annoys me tho is when a engine vibrates alot, im all about it running smooth. ive heard people say it causes alot more vibration so im just curious if it really is that bad?

I personally feel that if your looking for comfort while driving stay away from the prothane, but if you looking for a ton of vibration in your hands while you launch every red light known to man in hopes of beating the honda beside you for his pink slip then propthane is the way to go

I do have to say I do feel a bigger sense of control over the car when I feel like I'm connected to the motor between shifts. You can feel where it wants to go, and take control.

I just wish it wasn't my daily driver. Well that'll change soon enough.

The engine mounts are EASY with hand tools... (okay so not really easy, but I did them at the same time I did my suspension bushings... made it seem easy)

Step 1: Remove mount.
Step 2: Make sure this is not the mount that only requires inserts, rather than full bushing (umm... or maybe I'm the only idiot that pressed out the rubber part that you need for that mount)
Step 3: Copious amounts of MAPP gas. I used two seperate tanks on my engine mounts. Burns the rubber pretty quick. If you do it right, you can super heat the rubber around the inner metal race and tap it out pretty quickly. Then heat/burn the outside for a while until you can push all of the rubber out in a big chunk.
Step 4: Use a dremel and a cut-off wheel (i prefer fiberglass reinforced) to cut the outer metal race, while being careful to not cut into the mount. You have to do a diagonal cut, which works better than a straight cut anyway.
Step 5: use a hammer, a vise, and a chisel (or air hammer) to knock the now cut race out of the mount.
Step 6: Add a little grease to the outside of the new prothane motor mounts (I just used PB Blaster) and push into the mount. Hammer the metal sleeve into the prothane mount and re-install.

I used the same process on all of the suspension bushings as well, with the exception of the rear lower control arm on the 1g, as the bushing area is too small to get a dremel into.

I wouldn't use PB Blaster as your lubricant for your new mounts. Use a real grease, cause you don't use it to only install, the grease will help prevent any squeeking that may occur from the urethane.

Man this thread is old...LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back