The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Worth swapping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander24

Probationary Member
Aug 25, 2008
yardley, Pennsylvania
Ok. There are a few threads similar to this but didn't exactly answer what i was looking for i think if not sorry for the repeat. My Head gasket it leaking oil, the car has 169,000 miles but are moslty highway from the previous owner so i thought it'd be better to just swap the whole thing out since it won't really cost all that much more to replace the gasket as it would just replace the motor. I want to put in something faster than the 420a thats in there and wanted to know if its practical to put in the 4g64, or anything else? can my trans take the extra torque? I know i'd need to replace a lot of thing like the fuel pump etc. as well.

if you were to swap from the 420a to the 4g63 or 4g64 you would need more than the fuel pump. You would need the ecu, engine wiring harness, transaxles, crossmembers, the 420a transmission would not bolt up to the 420a so you would need that, and possibly different shifter cables since im not to sure about them since the transmissions are on different sides, you would have to fab motor mounts. It can be done but best if you have a donor car or something. Sorry not trying to discourage you but i have thought about this swap myself but through all of my research i have found that you can go just as far with a 420a as you can a 4g63 they are both great platforms. A easier swap may be the 2.4 liter stroker but i have not really done to much looking into that swap. good luck

It takes a lot of time and money to do a different engine. You have to do custom fabricating as for the mounts are in different places. You have to change the wire harness, transmission, and axles. And if you do this swap go with a gst 4g63 turbo. I recommend you fix your car and either turbo it or sell it and purchase a turbo car.

Edit: If you are referring to the 2.4 in the neon and other Chrysler cars it is not a 4g64 and I have heard it can be swapped into a 420a eclipse.

and just a thought but if you were going to swap in a 4g63 or 4g64 you would most likely end up replacing the head gasket, timing belt and pulleys and tensioner while the motor is out. That ontop of the cost of the motor and all other parts would greatly out weight the more practicle option of fixing the 420a which now has a fix for the head gasket which is the mls (multi layer steel) gasket as a fix the the head bolt holes bein drilled to shallow from the factory which is why we have the notorious oil leak from the back of the head close to the third and fourth cylinders. but back to the topic, Why not replace the head gasked and while you have the head off do some porting work on the intake and exhaust side of the head and the intake manifold, and maybe bore out your throttle body or do the throttle body swap from the jeep straight six and match the intake to the throttle body. That should give you much better flow and then intern make the car have a little more horsepower and speed. Just some thoughts to throw up in the air and swirl around. LOL.

Yeah i knew i needed the ecu and all that too the fuel pump was just the example i could think of LOL. The only reason i wanted to just swap the engine was i was probably going to have my mechanic do it cause i don't have the time to fix it and its my only car. It looks like i'm running out of options though. Maybe i'll save up and get the gsx haha. thanks for the input

If you can save up and pick up a GSX you will never regret it.

Or you could just say screw it and get a Spyder GS and screw yourself again. Our stuff sometimes is the same. It has the 4G64. Which is not all its worked up to be. Things are just differant enough that every breakdown is atleast a 4 tripper to autozone.

It takes a lot of time and money to do a different engine. You have to do custom fabricating as for the mounts are in different places. You have to change the wire harness, transmission, and axles. And if you do this swap go with a gst 4g63 turbo. I recommend you fix your car and either turbo it or sell it and purchase a turbo car.

Edit: If you are referring to the 2.4 in the neon and other Chrysler cars it is not a 4g64 and I have heard it can be swapped into a 420a eclipse.

The blocks can be swapped with alot of fabrication. The heads however use a front facing intake and a rear facing exhaust. I would strongly consider fixing the car and selling it to begin a new project or turbo'ing the 420a

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back