The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Worth buying and fixing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinbassplyr

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 15, 2010
Waterford, Michigan
So here's the deal...Got a guy with a genuine EVO III 16G that was hot tanked re-manufactured that got damaged when shipped back to him. The extent of the damage is turbine fins bent/chipped, crack in the cartridge and nicks in the compressor housing from the fins...he's asking $125 but willing to take less. Is it worth grabbing it and trying to fix? I know that new cartridges run $300+ but I didn't know if there was a way to fix the cartridge without replacing it? If I only had to replace the compressor wheel that's not a bad final cost at all! Thoughts/advice/guidance is much needed and appreciated, thanx!

So here's the deal...Got a guy with a genuine EVO III 16G that was hot tanked re-manufactured that got damaged when shipped back to him. The extent of the damage is turbine fins bent/chipped, crack in the cartridge and nicks in the compressor housing from the fins...he's asking $125 but willing to take less. Is it worth grabbing it and trying to fix? I know that new cartridges run $300+ but I didn't know if there was a way to fix the cartridge without replacing it? If I only had to replace the compressor wheel that's not a bad final cost at all! Thoughts/advice/guidance is much needed and appreciated, thanx!

So ALL that damage happened during shipping? Seems kind of fishy to me.

^ I agree. There's no way in hell the compressor wheel could hit the housing hard enough to cause damage just from shipment unless the compressor cover was never attached properly.

...and who's to say the turbine shaft isn't bent or something along those lines as a result?

That's kind of what I was thinking...and it kind of cancels out the "good price" if I'd have to pay pay $120 for a cartridge then $70 for a compressor wheel and STILL have to have it rebalanced AGAIN. At that point I'd quickly be approaching the price of just buying a new one or used one in good working condition yes?

That's why I ask first...then buy. Don't want to spend the money then have to find a way to unload a pile of crap. Thanks guys!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back