The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Holset HX40 worth

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zdrummer15

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2009
York, Pennsylvania
An opportunity came up for me to get a 7 blade HX40 with only 3k miles on it and no in and out or side to side shaft play. Now my car does not have the supporting mods to really utilize an HX40, but here's the situation:

I have an '89 Olds with a bad transmission that I have been trying to get rid of for awhile. I was going to sell it to a friend for $300. Now a guy offered to trade me his HX40 for that car. As I said I don't currently have the need for this turbo and my eventual plans for the car weren't going to be for anything this big, but I figure I may be able to use it down the road and since it's coming at no monetary cost to me, I could afford to wait. If I decide to stick with my original goals, I'll just sell the HX40. So my question is, what is one of these in the described condition worth and is it worth picking up even if I don't end up using it on my own car? I'm guessing at best I would make a couple hundred bucks off selling the turbo, but I haven't personally bought or sold a Holset turbo before.

I would say go ahead and do the trade, like you said you could allways sell the hx-40 if you don't end up using it. You could use that money to buy what ever turbo you were planning on running and some supporting mods.

The Holset is worth more than that Olds.

I realize that, but since I have a potential buyer for the car (for $300), I'm wondering if it's worth trading for the Holset instead even considering that I may not use the turbo. In other words if I only make $100-200 I may not do it because I wouldn't make any money right now. That's why I'm wondering what one in this condition is worth.

Help the friend and give him the car... That is, if he is serious about it. If not, then get the turbo.

Its not easy to sell em either, the market is horrible right now. Unless its a SuperHX40 you might end up stuck with it, so make sure its one you wanna use.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back