The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G wont start after new timing belt install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dszx13

Probationary Member
Jan 13, 2010
minden, Louisiana
installed new timing belt and balance shaft belt an it wont crank. made sure the #1 piston was at tdc, all timing is lined up right. gettin fuel an spark in all wires. wandering if anyone can help me out. first attempt to do this

did u set it at tdc on compression or intake stroke ? did u try to turn it by hand ?

its 6 times for all the marks to line back up if i remember. and what cylinder did u use for #1 the one closest to the timing belt?

number 1 piston being closest to the timing belt. not sure if its right. tried it again today an it still wont crank. when i checked the timing all was good but the oil sprocket it was off so i redone the belt. pulled the valve cover an everything looked good i jus dont kno why it wont run. LOL

There is a good chance that you bent valves, do a compression test. The job is very precise that you get it right, dead on.

Well go backwards what was wrong if anything before the timing belt, job. I had nicked my valves everything was dead on, but nicked them just enough so i had no compression. This time everything is redone, and it runs. If all was good before the tb job then something went wrong. Compression test will resolve your problem, for starters.

I would say you most likley bent your valves. Doing 20 or 100 your motor doesn't care. 2 things can't be in the same place at the same time at any speed.
Compression test.

what book did u use ? u do know that 90 91 have different timing marks than a 92 94 sure u dident use the wrong diagram ?

i used the chiltons book. i got the marks right. 100 percent positive. put the belt on/off 8 times. jus hoping i was wrong. when i try to crank it..it sounds like it wants to but it aint. if i can i'll get a video

definatly bent valves the first 1 ever did i bent valves just cranking it. second time it happened when i was backing out the garage basically coasting bent the valves also. just save urself the hassle of trying to figure it out and pull the head almost positive ull find bent valves

can u spin it over by hand without alot of resistance?

How fast you were going is not relevant. If the engine was spinning and the belt broke then you have bent valves. As for the not cranking issue, if you can turn it by hand the starter should also be able to turn it regardless of whether your bent valves allow it to actually run. If it won't crank then I'd suspect the starter as either bad or not being triggered. Did you pull or disconnect the starter for any reason? Try shorting the battery straight to the starter and see if it cranks.

You would not be able to tell if you have bent valve by taking off the valve pan cover. You have to do a compression test or pull the head. If the belt broke it is almost a 100 percent guarantee that you have valve damage.

When trying to start the car does it seem to crank faster than it used to?
With compression loss the engine will crank faster because there is little to no compression building on the compression stroke.

Edit: I missed where OP said not cranking I thought he was meaning it would turn over but not start.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back