1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Will this FMIC look good on a 97+ dsm?

Posted by youngdrivin, Dec 22, 2010

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. youngdrivin

youngdrivin Proven Member

Joined Sep 19, 2010
    DFW, Texas
  2. Dsm4lyfe12

Dsm4lyfe12 Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2010
    Minooka, Illinois
    Honestly, i think aluminum is aluminum, without the heatsoak and all that, i think that all your paying for this is the name, i think you'd be better going through a vendor. Although, i really do like the color and the name mishimoto, but in no way would i pay that price for a name on a piece of aluminum.

426  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.324 @ 117.000 · 2G DSM
  3. GsXdSmKingGsX

GsXdSmKingGsX Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Mehhh. You really want a gold intercooler? What color is your car? Mishimoto makes quality products though.

4. Black Widow97

Black Widow97 Proven Member

Joined Sep 2, 2010
    Oxbow, North Dakota
    Unless the car is blue I think bronze/gold would look silly. If you got it in just aluminum or black it would look better reguardless of car color.

2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.943 @ 112.280 · 2G DSM
  5. yepes281

yepes281 Proven Member

Joined Mar 22, 2009
    H-Town, Texas
    It would look clean on a white car

362  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  6. 2slow4utsi

2slow4utsi Proven Member

Joined Mar 7, 2009
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Get a VRSF kit man. They're the best out there for the best price. Talk to Tiago, tell him Danny sent you.

7. youngdrivin

Joined Sep 19, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    my car is gray with gold rpf-1

8. prostreetdsmx1

prostreetdsmx1 Proven Member

Joined Sep 29, 2002
    Altamonte, Florida
    wow, I didn't realize the intercoolers have become a "how's it look product" in the DSM world. You should be more concerned with how will this intercooler perform with you turbo setup.

Not true at all. Intercooler vary A LOT in quality. Compare the performance of this kit or any of the other Ebay stuff mentioned to something by ETS and such and you will see a difference in heat exchange and while i'm not expert.... I'm pretty sure that that is the purpose of an intercooler.

466  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.100 @ 104.100 · 2G DSM
  9. Dsm4lyfe12

Dsm4lyfe12 Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2010
    Minooka, Illinois
    I understand.Not to get in a debate or anything, but i think many vendor intercoolers not only look better but are cheaper. I do agree some are not quality and the welds aren't the best, and the purpose of the intercooler is to cool. I personally have a mishimoto rad which i love for the quality, but i've heard that cx racing splits there equipment out to three companies, punishment, mishimoto, and ebay. So, the reason you would be paying more for a mishimoto intercooler is 1. The color, and 2. the M imprinted onto the intercooler. I didnt think this would be a thread based on facts but opinions im sorry if you misunderstood the things that i did say. The price also varies on how good the item is made, indeed the more pricey the intercooler(with the respect of the reviews on the piece and the power your trying to make) shows which intercoolers are better, of course many companies that specialize in the making of an intercooler are going to make a more quality piece. You pay for what you get :)

426  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.324 @ 117.000 · 2G DSM
  10. anthonydinatale

anthonydinatale Proven Member

Joined Jun 6, 2010
    Ingleside, Illinois
    That thing is sick get it

313  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. GsXdSmKingGsX

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    People like you are the reason I get so frustrated on this forum.

MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, you should go buy this "sick" intercooler or any Front Mount Intercooler for that matter and tell us how it works out. I notice you dont have one on your mod list. Have you ever had one? Probably not. Stop giving advice on something you know nothing about. :banghead::ohdamn::toobad::tease:

Damn n00bs

For that money you could buy a wholoe intercooler kit and paint to make it gold and stencil whatever you want on it.

12. constant_proj21

constant_proj21 Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2009
    Maplewood, Minnesota
    I heard you gain 10hp from a gold intercooler....but I have never owned one, so wouldn't know...hehe

I thought about getting one of these, to go along with the black gold scheme for my next car. Then looked at the pricetag, and decided it isn't that nice. Also, it seems pretty small, and I would very much likely overrun that skinny intercooler. Plus, its a universal, you would have to make it work with your setup. To the OP, an actual bolt on kit would be a much better choice.

Oh and DSM4lyfe12, the link he posted is from Modern Automotive Performance's website, they are a vendor! :thumb:

13. youngdrivin

Joined Sep 19, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    Haha wow i just wanted to see what all of you thought about it but now that performance is in the topic whats the best performing intercooler out there for a DSM as you know im a noob and dont know much:p

14. GsXdSmKingGsX

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    FP has a good kit or the VRSF. Its all you really need.:sneaky:

15. youngdrivin

Joined Sep 19, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    Already random question but what fmic will allow me to keep my fog lights i would like to have them on

16. GsXdSmKingGsX

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  17. youngdrivin

Joined Sep 19, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    Ok thanks ive spent hours trying to find the right fmic that will allow me to keep my fog lights but sadly ive found nothing:cry:

18. -TunedDSM-

-TunedDSM- Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2006
    Traverse City, Michigan

446  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  19. GsXdSmKingGsX

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Refer to my last post to how people have theirs rigged up. And yes the Punishment kit is a great one but consider your options.

20. youngdrivin

Joined Sep 19, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    Youve been the greatest help on this thread thanks i think im going to buy the vrsf fmic:thumb:

21. GsXdSmKingGsX

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Not a problem! Glad I could help broski.:hellyeah:

22. james3340

james3340 Awaiting Email Verification

Joined Oct 3, 2010
    dowell, Illinois
    greddy makes a good intercooler but they are real expensive

248  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST