The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Why is the 90-96 manual awd tcase different than 98-99?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver bullit

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 27, 2006
martinsburg, West_Virginia
Why is the 90-96 manual awd tcase different than 98-99?

I looked up part numbers at a dealership and they tell me that the 90-96 is part number md758203 and the 98 and 99 are part number md748594.

Whats the difference and how can you make a 92 awd tcase work on a 98?

I was under the impression that 90 are different, 91 and 91.5 are different and 92 up are all the same, not to mention i took the tcase off my 92 awd manual trans and installed it in a bone stock 98 awd manual and had no probs getting it moving till i could get a spare.

Please help me and thanks for the assistance

The ratio is different. Also the 98 -99 trans has a different ring an pinion to match the transfer case ratio. You would need to swap in a early ring and pinion to use a 92 transfer case on a 98. Or if it were a high end race car with a different rear end in it, you could change that ring and pinion to match too.

The front diff uses a different ring gear on 97-99 cars so in order to get the front wheels and the rear wheels to spin at the same speed the internal gearing in the t-case was changed to match the the front. in order to use an early t-case you need to swap ring gears on the front diff, pinion gears are the same.

i have more than 1 year with my tranny AWD 99 and transfer case 95 without any problem it runs good, not sounds

i have more than 1 year with my tranny AWD 99 and transfer case 95 without any problem it runs good, not sounds

These transfercases are not interchangeable. Doing so can damage the center differential and/or the center differential viscous coupling as these units have different gear ratios.

So id have to change out the ring and pinion in the rear didd or the tcase to make it work?

No, just the front differential driven gear (call it ring gear if you will)

Look in ASA (or CAPS) at the drive gear part numbers.

It's the same.

Only the front differential driven gear is different.

It works, I did it in my car (98 gsx)

No, just the front differential driven gear (call it ring gear if you will)

Look in ASA (or CAPS) at the drive gear part numbers.

It's the same.

Only the front differential driven gear is different.

It works, I did it in my car (98 gsx)

Thats what i say but no one can back it up

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back