The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G WHO WILL TRY THIS FUEL PUMP?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlashDSM

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2010
stony brook, New_York
well i came across this on ebay looking for a good price on an aeromotive fuel pump, ITS AN OBX MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP, WHO IS DARING TO TRY IT TO SEE IF ITS GOOD!

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1555

DESCRIPTION ; Probably the most important component in a high-performance fuel system, a reliable pump is a necessity to make sure you can quench your engine's thirst for fuel. We at OBX produce a number of different pumps to meet the horsepower rating of any naturally aspirated, nitrous enhanced, or force-inducted engine.

This unit is built with T-304 stainless steel rollers inside the pump for extreme durability and reliability to perform under the most extreme racing conditions. The exterior is a hard-anodized 6061 aluminum case for a show quality finish.

Rated up to 3600HP(Gas) and 1800HP(Methanol), this pump can withstand the needs for any 6-second drag strip race engine. Each unit is designed to flow more than 2700lbs./hr with zero current draw. It can provide anywhere from 2-200PSI of fuel pressure. This pump has an -10AN inlet and a -10AN outlet that can be used with a male fitting to be compatible with any type of fuel line. Can be used with all pump and race gas including EPA oxygenated and high-grade diesel fuel.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the price says it all. Personally me, I would skip. I think I would feel more confident knowing my pump isn't going to fall apart at upper RPM's with a brand name.

Just because you have a forged internals don't mean you won't window the block.

Is that a risk you willing to take? Not my money

I think the price says it all. Personally me, I would skip. I think I would feel more confident knowing my pump isn't going to fall apart at upper RPM's with a brand name.

Just because you have a forged internals don't mean you won't window the block.

Is that a risk you willing to take? Not my money

well i definitively agree with you, im not saying use it on a fully built racecar, but take a beater gst and slap it on and see how it work,

I might buy one just to tear apart and see how the quality is. I don't see how this could cause too many issues of decently made, since it will be spinning at about 50% engine speed.

the only problem i could see is bad gaskets, or a bad seal between the outer case and inner case, not being machined well and leaking, i looked up reviews and not much out there, so lets make one work and see what we have to do to it.

I'm all about getting what you pay for. Some things in life can be taken the cheap route anything that has to do with fuel, internals, or tuning on a race car or car used to go faster then a normal car should have quality parts and money put into it or don't ask why when things go boom! :cry:

Not a bad post but I for one refuse to use anything from E-bay when it comes to anything with a motor on it. Quality used parts over new e-bay any day of the week.

Magnafuel pumps start at $500. If you can't afford that, you need to rethink your fuel and power goals. I didn't even look at the link. The pictures tell the tale. Small ports(unless the pictures give a bad perspective), a round drive. How do you intend on clamping to it is what ever to drive the pump? And with what?

Magnafuel pumps start at $500. If you can't afford that, you need to rethink your fuel and power goals. I didn't even look at the link. The pictures tell the tale. Small ports(unless the pictures give a bad perspective), a round drive. How do you intend on clamping to it is what ever to drive the pump? And with what?

put the pump on a beater car to try it! thats the point of this thread, is to see if it does work and the quality of it, because if it turns out to be a good pump then we all found something REAL! AND -10 PORTS BTW

Looks kinda like it has a keyway on the shaft. Which I'm sure will break off/round out.

its most likely a harden shaft

Why don't you try it out? Considering the work it would take to convert to a mechanical fuel pump, if I'm already investing that much time, money, and labor, I might as well put a known working part on it. I think you're missing the point some have made: you're not saving much by trying this eBay brand fuel part. It's not a drop in part, so the investment is not as small as you think it is.

A BOV is one thing, but a fuel pump (and a mechanical one at that) is not worth the time "experimenting".

I'm all about getting what you pay for. Some things in life can be taken the cheap route anything that has to do with fuel, internals, or tuning on a race car or car used to go faster then a normal car should have quality parts and money put into it or don't ask why when things go boom! :cry:

Not a bad post but I for one refuse to use anything from E-bay when it comes to anything with a motor on it. Quality used parts over new e-bay any day of the week.

So...the aeromotive 340 stealth pump i bought on ebay is garbage, as are the innovate gauges and fuellab fpr? I get what you're saying, most stuff that got fame in ebay is most likely garbage. But If the machining is good, why not give it a shot for the money? Maybe I flush money down the wrong toilet, but without trying we can speculate all we want, especially in a car diagram that is fairly narrowed and dying off as far as aftermarket parts are concerned. Namely, HIPO fuel system parts.

I'd personally like to see the difference between the obx pump and the aeromotive or whatever pump that are offered as mechanical setups.

So...the aeromotive 340 stealth pump i bought on ebay is garbage, as are the innovate gauges and fuellab fpr? I get what you're saying, most stuff that got fame in ebay is most likely garbage. But If the machining is good, why not give it a shot for the money? Maybe I flush money down the wrong toilet, but without trying we can speculate all we want, especially in a car diagram that is fairly narrowed and dying off as far as aftermarket parts are concerned. Namely, HIPO fuel system parts.

AND GUYS NO NEED TO GET NASTY WHERE
Why don't you try it out? Considering the work it would take to convert to a mechanical fuel pump, if I'm already investing that much time, money, and labor, I might as well put a known working part on it. I think you're missing the point some have made: you're not saving much by trying this eBay brand fuel part. It's not a drop in part, so the investment is not as small as you think it is.

A BOV is one thing, but a fuel pump (and a mechanical one at that) is not worth the time "experimenting".

I'd personally like to see the difference between the obx pump and the aeromotive or whatever pump that are offered as mechanical setups.

i agree, i dont have the access to certin thing called a beater, so im thinking if someone has an old gst in the back of there shop, run some garden hose as fuel line and hook up this pump to the power steering belt,

Why? First off garden hose ain't gonna hold fuel or pressure for that matter.

Second why put one in a beater? If it doesn't make gobs of power, a mechanical pump isn't needed. And if this beater isn't out getting thrashed on, how do you know the pump is any good? Putting it on and seeing if the pump starts or runs for a few weeks won't tell you anything about the longevity or anything else about the pump when it comes to the rigors a drag car is put through in a season.

Last edited:

Totally understand your view I just don't want you to kiss away some money you didn't need too. You get my brownie points if you take one for the team and do a write up for it haha good luck!

How about you buy the part, give it to someone to test and pay for the fab work/ parts to get it to work and extra if their motor blows up. The world doesnt work the way your thinking it does. You dont post up a part expecting someone else to test and be a guinea pig for your "budget 1000hp" build.

Last edited:
How about you buy the part, give it to someone to test and pay for the fab work/ parts to get it to work and extra if their motor blows up. The world doesnt work the way your thinking it does. You dont post up a part expecting someone else to test and be a guinea pig for your "budget 1000hp" build.

there is nothing budget about my build thats for sure, see for your self, http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/my-2g-dsm-second-build-this-ones-going-smoother.499369/, im seeing if anybody is interested in tring it out, and seeing if it was good for us

Hmmm, let's see. Reasons why NOT to try cheap fuel parts:

1) Potential fire
2) ...

...Yeah, actually, that's literally the only reason you need. Good luck.

Ive seen your build thread before and im not impressed. Mixing budget parts with better quality. Not purchasing or building with a specified direction or future proofing. Unrefined modification/ techniques. To me it screams you are inexperienced and just throwing money into a build where you dont fully grasp the concept of.

If you are looking to build a 1000hp car why are you even wasting your time starting a thread about some cheap ebay part? If youre experienced enough, You should know better. You buy a known brand for reliability. You dont try to pinch pennies on something some important as fueling.

If Im coming out a bit strong, Im sorry. But Ive seen plenty of people trying to do what you are. Throwing away money and being spoon fed information about setups and parts that will work.

Ive seen your build thread before and im not impressed. Mixing budget parts with better quality. Not purchasing or building with a specified direction or future proofing. Unrefined modification/ techniques. To me it screams you are inexperienced and just throwing money into a build where you dont fully grasp the concept of.

If you are looking to build a 1000hp car why are you even wasting your time starting a thread about some cheap ebay part? If youre experienced enough, You should know better. You buy a known brand for reliability. You dont try to pinch pennies on something some important as fueling.

If Im coming out a bit strong, Im sorry. But Ive seen plenty of people trying to do what you are. Throwing away money and being spoon fed information about setups and parts that will work.

im tring to build the car right, if theres something that i should use differently please step up and let me know on my build thread. all input is welcome no matter how harsh.

* I haven't seen anything OBX has made that's worth pissing on.
* Don't cheap out on anything you care about... beaters included.
* If you're building a race car with no expense spared then why is this even a consideration?
* Feel free to buy this and try it yourself since it's cheap and trivial to install (right?).

DSM owners are known for being cheap AND having broken cars.... I wonder why that is.

What lasthope is saying is that based on some of your questions/threads, you're in over your head if you're shooting for 1,000hp (and why that would be the goal of your build is interesting in itself, IMO).

Look at most of the 1000hp DSMs that hold together for more than a few dyno pulls. What do you see?

Every part on the car is planned, and serves a specific function.

Every aspect of the build goes through immense trial and error...And we're talking at the track or on the dyno. These things cost money, and lots of it.

While we're on the topic of money, most of these cars are built by groups people with decades of combined knowledge, and on budgets that would make most of us shit ourselves...Budgets that aren't sustainable on what most of us make at our day jobs.

Most of these guys mentioned above are trying to figure out how they lost a tenth of a second on a pass, not what turbo to use, or whether a cheap Ebay fuel pump will get the job done.

Building a car that puts down 1,000 hp then sits in the garage is one thing. Having a legitimate 1,000 hp DSM build is completely another. There's a huge difference between the two...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back