1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Which parts control spark to plugs?

Posted by v8s_are_slow, Sep 27, 2020

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. v8s_are_slow

v8s_are_slow Proven Member

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    So I'm searching but I don't have years for this. Short story, injector was leaking and had a nice little fire that I got out in a hurry. Repaired wires and car would fire up fine of the two times I tried. Third time on another day was a no-go. No spark on 2 and 3. Thought it was ptu so replaced with another. Still no spark. Tried the ptu on a friend's car, no issues and it ran. So that rules out ptu. Figured maybe I missed some wiring but all looks good. So aside from the ptu, coil pack, wiring, and maybe the ecu, I can't think of the parts that would control the spark for only cylinders 2 & 3. Maybe bad coil pack. But need the list of parts to be checking.

This is a 6 bolt motor in a 98 body. 95 ecu with Ecmlink. Kiggly 2-toothed crank trigger plate with the 98 cas so no base timing adjustments needed. Just plug and play and no 1g cas needed. Thanks y'all.

2K  20

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    10.949 @ 129.77 · 2G DSM
  2. jed344

jed344 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 10, 2008
    Waterville, Iowa
    Look up wiring diagram. Remember 2 and 3 the color the wire is at the PTU input then changes color after it goes to diagnostic plug on fire wall. So if you look at wires at the coil you will see the red and blue wire as i recall that is 2 and 3 at the PTU. But that is NOT now 2 and 3 at the coil, as i recall the black and white wire is now 2 and 3 at coil. I have started at ECU before and checked for it out putting signal, then at PTU in and out, then at coil. You will find the issue by doing this.

1K  38

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    v8s_are_slow likes this.
  3. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Parts that control ignition are CPS, CAS, PT, coil, ECU (or PTU if AT), spark plugs, spark plug wires, interconnecting wires.

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  4. v8s_are_slow

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    About to be getting on this here shortly. Thanks y'all. Going to assume it's my cas wiring if anything because it got hit by the fire pretty good. I'll be taking a second look.

Only thing I've found so far is one cut wire (black) and one burnt wire (yellow which may or may not be good and making connection) to the tps. Not sure if I accidentally cut the black wire or if it was like that. Repairing that and then relocating my coil pack because it sits under the intake manifold which makes it a pain for sooooo many reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2020

2K  20

10.949 @ 129.77 · 2G DSM
  5. v8s_are_slow

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    Update: Not sure if those wires tie into the circuit or not but it's all good now. Shew!!!

2K  20

10.949 @ 129.77 · 2G DSM
    jed344 likes this.