The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Where can i get a TCU?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pestilence

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 8, 2011
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Found a 92 talon with a bad tcu in limp mode. Where can I get a replacement tcu guys? Anyway around this?

92 awd turbo

There's 4 different TCU's for a 92 depending on what model the car is that I'm aware of... Only the Exact Tcu will plug in an Shift the Trans correctly with out a Eprom TCU to modifie the Code.

MD738998 91-92 FWD, 1.8L
MD750092- 90-92 AWD
MD750093 91-92 FWD, w/turbo
MD750525 91-92 FWD, 2.0L, w/o turbo

1991 through early 1992 use a three plug connection and late 1992 – 1994 use a 2 plug connection.

Do you know if it is a late or early 92?

Here are the part numbers for 93 tcu's as well for reference

MD754075 93-94 FWD, w/turbo
MD754076 93-94 AWD
MD754077 93 FWD, 1.8L
MD754079 93 FWD, 2.0L, w/o turbo

As far as Finding the Tcu have you looked at the Classifieds on here? Car-part.com is a good place to start looking as you can search the whole country's Junk yards

Also Are sure that it is the TCU an not an internal trans problem?

Have you checked the TCU for codes? See here how to check for trans codes

An lastly if you can't find a Tcu an it is the problem you could always eliminate the TCU all together an run a Shift box like this

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/automatic-tranny/275165-prototype-t-transmission-manual-controller.html Or Automatic/Manual Shift Box 90-99 Eclipse and Talon Auto

There is also one other method that is Free you can do the Kiggly manu-matic mod. This mod gives you 100% line pressure and forces you to shift the car manually as this method eliminates the need for a TCU at all like above but there's nothing to buy... See HERE

Also If is the TCU I figured I'd throw this in for good measure TIPS to Extend Trans LIFE

Last edited by a moderator:
There's 4 different TCU's for a 92 depending on what model the car is that I'm aware of... Only the Exact Tcu will plug in an Shift the Trans correctly with out a Eprom TCU to modifie the Code. Foreign Muscle Burns Chips for our TCU if you end up going that route.

1991 through early 1992 use a three plug connection and late 1992 – 1994 use a 2 plug connection.

Do you know if it is a late or early 92?

Here are the part numbers for 93 tcu's as well for reference

As far as Finding the Tcu have you looked at the Classifieds on here? Car-part.com is a good place to start looking as you can search the whole country's Junk yards

Also Are sure that it is the TCU an not an internal trans problem?

Have you checked the TCU for codes? See here how to check for trans codes

An lastly if you can't find a Tcu an it is the problem you could always eliminate the TCU all together an run a Shift box like this

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/automatic-tranny/275165-prototype-t-transmission-manual-controller.html Or Automatic/Manual Shift Box 90-99 Eclipse and Talon Auto

There is also one other method that is Free you can do the Kiggly manu-matic mod. This mod gives you 100% line pressure and forces you to shift the car manually as this method eliminates the need for a TCU at all like above but there's nothing to buy... See HERE

Also If is the TCU I figured I'd throw this in for good measure TIPS to Extend Trans LIFE

That automatic/manual shift box looks interesting. Has anyone tested that?

I personally haven't ran one as I haven't owned an Auto in MANY years. But it's my understanding that IPT Trans has been making them for some time... someone else would have to comment on how well it performs But I'm sure it works just great.

I personally haven't ran one as I haven't owned an Auto in MANY years. But it's my understanding that IPT Trans has been making them for some time... someone else would have to comment on how well it performs But I'm sure it works just great.

I appreciate all the info in your first reply. Going to look at the car tomorrow. Probably going to buy.

The roadsurge auto shift box..GOOD BUY.. RoadSurge.com

I will stand behind the shift box, and alot of tuners members run them..You don't need a tcu, but this shift box can be turned of and driven normally, which requires a tcu for that mode...

Also if you find a tcu, amke sure you find the right one..Like my1g said 6 bolts use the three plug tcu, and 92.5 and up 7 bolts use a two plug tcu..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back