The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Where are the FWDs at????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazthug

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2003
livermore, California
I dont get this one problem I am trying to figure out.

Why arent there tons of FWD dsm's running 10s, 11s, and 12s?

This car has been around for 15 years and there are like a handfull of fast FWD's

On the other hand, the srt4, only around for like 3 years, has dozens of cars in the 11's, hundreds in the 12's and some in the 10s, most on stock blocks and trannies still

I dont get it??? Is there just something weird about our cars? Why is it so hard for us to go fast?

I am very very tempted to kill this trend. My tranny blew 2nd and I was gonna swap a stocker in and sell the car, but im like 99% set for calling TRE and ordering their race tranny, swapping some slicks on it and puttin down some times.

They have this new AWD tranny setup they are selling that work on FWD dsm's, and retain the awd gearing, maybe the fwd tranny isnt geared right or something, maybe the awd tranny will help???

Its expensive, $2500 with quaife, but its brand new, its built up and it has better gearing.

I put down 342whp on my old bullseye turbo, vtrim, and Im getting a 50trim from them now to replace my old turbo and then some cams to get about 400whp

With that and traction, it should easily do 11's. If not, Im stumped. I just dont understand why there arent more hardcore FWD dsm's around. :confused:

I feel your pain. There are no fwd's that are trying to go fast around here except for me. It's kinda cool being the only one though. I think it's just easier for people to buy an AWD and go faster. Whereas buying a FWD it takes more work and practice to run good times. I myself got tired of all the AWD's running 12's and 13's so easily, so i threw on some slicks and a 14b and started hanging with them. :cool:

Yeah I agree with what has said. Why bother with FWD trouble when you have the AWD option? I mean shit once you have a lot of power even the AWDs are having traction trouble. I just got sick of trying to find a decent AWD that wasn't beat up, over priced, or whatever and ended up getting a great deal on a very clean FWD so decided to take the challenge. Even after getting the GST Ive still once in awhile looked for an AWD but again, not found any ones in decent shape, over priced, beat up, etc.. So I guess you can say I to am going to ATTEMPT to build a fast FWD :rolleyes:

I tried to get an awd as well, but same as the rest, couldn't find a clean one that wasnt beat up

I mean i can jump in my buddies stage 3 srt4, throw his slicks on and go 11.7s all day on race gas.

I just dont see why dsm's cant do that. True, he has a turbo that makes 370whp yet spools up at 2500rpm, which makes for a much broader power curve and tons of torque(2.4L) so that may be it

If I ever rebuild, im gonna go stroker even though its fwd, I think the torque may help. And I think slicks is the only way to do it. My tranny is coming out and going to either shep or TRE along with a quaife, cause otherwise, all this power is worthless.

I think with 400whp and a properly setup drivetrain, slicks and suspension, 11's should be very attainable. I may also be trying that new TRE AWD tranny that goes into the FWD, for the beter drag racing gearing.

pretty much its because there is an awd platform for our cars that makes it so that fwds are not being pushed to the limit. But I am determined to change all of this, I just made 360whp with my set up at 16psi running out of fuel with my 660's. My 1000cc injectors come in on thursday tunning will begin on saturday. the following weekend I will be hitting the track with my new tuned setup and slicks. 24.5x9.5x13(check my profile for pics) high elevens or bust!

pretty much its because there is an awd platform for our cars that makes it so that fwds are not being pushed to the limit. But I am determined to change all of this, I just made 360whp with my set up at 16psi running out of fuel with my 660's. My 1000cc injectors come in on thursday tunning will begin on saturday. the following weekend I will be hitting the track with my new tuned setup and slicks. 24.5x9.5x13(check my profile for pics) high elevens or bust!
dude, remember to wait for me. im doing all the porting this week. then im gonna need your injectors...haha. but yea...i'll be ready. mid 13's or bust.

unlmtdndeavor said:
dude, remember to wait for me. im doing all the porting this week. then im gonna need your injectors...haha. but yea...i'll be ready. mid 13's or bust.
i hit mid 13's yay for me

98eclipseRS said:

you are my hero, thank you

i shall follow in your footsteps

Did you get a TRE tranny? I am about to order their AWD/FWD tranny right now with a quaife

Nice slicks too, those should work great, nice and wide, and thick...squeeze it for all its worth, and shift fast and hard

launch with boost, use NLTS and run the boost up to like 30 psi on straight c16, you should easily hit 500whp and that should land some awesome times, i will be sooo proud of you:)

Which track are you going to, sac??? If so, let me know, i will come up from the bay area to go with you man, my car should be running, but still on the broken tranny(no 2nd) till my new tranny comes in.

Let me know when you plan on going to the track, i'd love to go and check out your ride and show you mine....Im a great tranny away from some decent times.

unlmtdndeavor said:

hahahaa...i used to live in san ramon, we should all go up to the track together, i wont be running my car cause my tranny is broke, i would take my bike but thats too far of a drive, so i'll just drive with no 2nd gear like i have beeen for a few months

nazthug said:
you are my hero, thank you

i shall follow in your footsteps

Did you get a TRE tranny? I am about to order their AWD/FWD tranny right now with a quaife

Nice slicks too, those should work great, nice and wide, and thick...squeeze it for all its worth, and shift fast and hard

launch with boost, use NLTS and run the boost up to like 30 psi on straight c16, you should easily hit 500whp and that should land some awesome times, i will be sooo proud of you:)

Which track are you going to, sac??? If so, let me know, i will come up from the bay area to go with you man, my car should be running, but still on the broken tranny(no 2nd) till my new tranny comes in.

Let me know when you plan on going to the track, i'd love to go and check out your ride and show you mine....Im a great tranny away from some decent times.

haha thanks bro, just trying to show that fwd's can be monsters as well. I actually have a tony vu built/rre tranny. I bought it off my friend who put about 500 miles on it because his car was down for like two years straight and at the time of his purchase the awd tranny swap into a fwd wasn't readily available or I would have went with that. Right now I can launch with about 10 pounds of boost and plan on running as close to 30 psi on pump gas that I can(not to big of a race gas fan but if gas prices continue to climb then I will be filling my tank regularly with 100 octane pump gas becuase my car is now only my weekend car. When I do hit the track it will deffinately be sac raceway the track prep is so much nicer there its ridiculous. If you want to meet up I think that would be great, you actually sold me your old big28 haha if I am not up there in the first two weeks of this month I will be there the 24th for sure because my friends all own fbodies and they are having their "norcal shootout" and afterwards is a grudgenight.

hey, the 24th sounds great actually because I may even have my tranny done by then as well, im going to get the awd/fwd tranny from TRE with the quaife and steel shift rails and the rest of the basic upgrades. I dont have slicks yet, but i do have drag radials, 225/45/17 gforces, they may have to do for now

I am replacing my current t04b vtrim turbo with a t04b 50trim from bullseye

At the track you are gonna run race gas right? Nothing less than c16 man, crank that timing and boost up and run 11's, that would be awesome

I run meth injection as well and it helps on the street, you should definetly get some sort of injection. Pump gas only goes so far especially on our 91 octane

Meth injection i was able to go from 16psi to 22psi on pump gas, 16psi was the highest i could go with no knock, now its 22-23psi all day with no knock

Cant wait to see the results, should be fun

Sweet, Finally someone like me was curious enough to post a question in regards to pumped up fwd dsm's. As for my FWD I have been trying to mod it to the point where a stock sti or evo doesn't stand a chance. Right now I have a giant t-66 atp turbo, 780cc fuel injectors, upgrade fuel and oil pumps, and all of my internals done with crower and apr bolts. It's a 420a engine so Im pretty impressed when I push out 20lbs on pump gas. I manage and control all of these mods with a Haltech ems system, which really helps control my engine and prevents it from BLOWING UP!! + just think of this, whats a gsx going to do when he runs into you on the freeway ??? :sneaky: ROFL :D I say throw on a quaife limited slip and some slick or street/race tires and youll be running record speeds in no time. Rt now im able to launch at 4g with 25psi in the tires and by using falken Azeni tires. FWD :)

no at the track I will be running either 91 octane pump gas or 100 octane "pump gas" depending on how the gas prices keep increasing it really depends. I want to do meth injection but right now funds are limited because I just bought my injectors so it might have to wait.

why run pump at the track? :confused: Theres no way to get decent power out of pump gas....why not just run race gas and turn the boost up?/

nazthug said:
why run pump at the track? :confused: Theres no way to get decent power out of pump gas....why not just run race gas and turn the boost up?/

I may sound very strange in saying this but I want to have the same performance all the time so that when I run into someone on the street that was at the track my car is not sudenly slower. With 1000cc injectors and methenal I should be able to run 25+psi on pump gas easily.

I want to try to get a decent fwd time this year. I have a 95 gst with a 60 trim that has an 82 ar exhaust housing. It is pretty laggy but should get me some decent power. I have dsmlink, 780's, FMIC and all the other supporting mods. I don't have and suspension mods yet, but I have 16lb weld rims with 26x10x15 MT slicks. I am not really sure what to expect, but I am most likely throwing in a 100 shot and should be able to make over 400whp without the juice on 110.

98eclipseRS said:
I may sound very strange in saying this but I want to have the same performance all the time so that when I run into someone on the street that was at the track my car is not sudenly slower. With 1000cc injectors and methenal I should be able to run 25+psi on pump gas easily.

i know but with a setup like yours ,it would be interestinng to see what the best time you can get, seems like pump would really limit your whole setup, which is pretty damn impressive and could be ran up to like 35psi...damn, we can see a fwd in the 10s

nazthug said:
hahahaa...i used to live in san ramon, we should all go up to the track together, i wont be running my car cause my tranny is broke, i would take my bike but thats too far of a drive, so i'll just drive with no 2nd gear like i have beeen for a few months
well hit me up if you wanna help with my car. its torn apart right now. doing some porting to it. i need to do my cv boots as well.

I was able to pull a 13.3 and then i got kicked out cause you need a roll cage if your a convert running under a 13.5. My car still has alot more in it, i trapped at 109 on a blown evo III. Im running the quaife, and drag radials. Great combo.

13.3 on a convertible isnt all too bad with only 260whp, thats the kind of efficiency i want to be seeing. I dont like seeing guys with 400whp running 14's...LOL

What kind of drag radials? Seems like guys with quaifes are really putting down better times

I am still trying to decide whether to get the AWD/FWD tranny or just the regular FWD tranny

The awd is tighter gearing and a shorter final drive so it may help down the track but not sure about the shorter gearing, might make it even harder to get traction off the line unless I have some serious slicks

I do however like the shorter gearing for around town, makes it easier to get off the line, the stock 1st is kinda long and requires a good amount of slip to get going

The quaife is for sure. Not sur what else to upgrade in the tranny, whether I realy need the HD 3/4th gear, the steel shift rails, etc...

somebody buy my slicks and skinnies, so they can continue the fwd tradition. since i am parting out my car, i also have a set of d2 coilovers that are custom done with 700# rear springs, no squating makes the car hook hard. i used to launch on 20psi of boost with dsm link. best of luck to all you fwd guys

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

check your pm's

On a side note, this is what i dont understand. My roomates srt4 stage3 on race gas with 370whp runs 11.7's at 120mph on slicks. Yet it takes a dsm with 501whp to run 12.0s at 119mph? I dont understand this, is there something magical about the power curve in the srt4, the torque, the gearing?

Or was mopar right all along about peak numbers only being 1/2 the game, and that their kit makes the car quick, not just fast

Im interested in your slicks

Weight is the main thing, but the tq does help. Weight is the enemy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back