The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

When replacing front struts, replace pads & seats too?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I'm about to replace the front struts on my '92 Talon TSi AWD manual, and am a bit uncertain as to what else needs to be replaced. I know that it's good practice to also replace the mounts, bellows and bumps, and have purchased all of these. They're all KYB btw, GR-2.

These comes with new top nuts, both the center strut nut and the 3 that attach to the strut tower in the engine bay. I assume the strut washers can be reused, and intend to use the original springs as they look ok and the car only has 78k miles on it. All but 1 knuckle nut & bolt are ok and will be reused. I can to cut one of the nuts off so I got a replacement OEM set of each.

But what about the spring seats and pads? They're separate parts in the FSM but I didn't see them for sale on RockAuto, where I got these other parts. Should I be able to reuse the old ones, or should I replace them too, and if so OEM or also aftermarket, say KYB if they even make them?

Here's the relevant page from the FSM. I'm referring to parts 4 & 5:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The seats go for around $25 each OEM and appear to be stamped metal, so I'm guessing that they're ok and just need some cleaning, derusting and paint and can be reused. But the pads (or insulators) appear to be rubber and go for around $10 OEM each so I'm guessing that I should replace them. There don't appear to be aftermarket ones so I'll just get the OEMs if indeed they do need to be replaced.

Last edited:
If memory serves 4 is metal and 5 is the spring isolator. You will have to inspect yours. Heavy rust would be a concern. At your mileage rubber should be fine unless age took it's toll and i doubt it.

#4 (seat) isn't very rusty, just a bit dirty and dusty. I should be able to restore it pretty easily. I'm more concerned about #5 (pad), if the rubber has hardened. Wouldn't that make for a slightly harsher ride and even potentially migrate down to other parts and prematurely wear them?

#4 (seat) isn't very rusty, just a bit dirty and dusty. I should be able to restore it pretty easily. I'm more concerned about #5 (pad), if the rubber has hardened. Wouldn't that make for a slightly harsher ride and even potentially migrate down to other parts and prematurely wear them?
Nope.

If it was me and as i have done this before on my daily. I would replace it all. Even springs if its part of maintaining it to the slrings are fresh and not soft or old anymore. If its all apart its best to do as much as you can maintenance wise now then have to take it off again later

Se
I’d be shocked if you could get that OEM part. When I put Konis on, I could not even find OEM or aftermarket bump stops.

Several online Mitsubishi suppliers claim to have it. I'll check with my local Mitsubishi deal this week. But first I'll take a look at the parts to see if there's any reason to replace either. Btw shocked, heh, funny.

I hope you can get the parts, but I think you’ll find that what is listed online from Mitsubishi dealers is a gross exaggeration of what they actually can get. At least that was my experience, until I stopped even trying to place orders with them because they always responded that all my requests were discontinued and obsolete. Now I stick with specialty suppliers, most of which are supporting members on this site. Perhaps the dealer you use is trying harder.

I took a quick look at both parts on the old strut assembly today and they looked to be serviceable, but I won't know for sure until I compress the springs. I'll give the local dealer a call this week to see if the pads are still available. At $20 for the pair it seems worthwhile, unless it turns out that the old ones are just fine.

They had most of the parts I ordered recently, but those were mostly seals, oil, filter, common connectors, etc. This is a model-specific part for a car that hasn't been made in a long time. No aftermarket sites I've looked at sell them, so I guess it's not really necessary to replace them. And I suspect that most people who still drive these cars switched to coilovers anyway.

I’d be shocked if you could get that OEM part. When I put Konis on, I could not even find OEM or aftermarket bump stops.

I just ordered new KYB struts and RockAuto had them and matching mounts and boots with bumpers, so I guess some parts are still available. Perhaps some are fairly universal though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back