The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What's that worst thing that happened to you when you got your DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmm 93 Eclipse GS 1.8L... no problems. Flipped for a profit to buy a early 92 TSI AWD for $900 with bad trans. Ended up being badly rusted out. Not safe. Parted it out.

Bought my 94 TSI AWD. 2nd day I had it, I had it sideways on dry pavement. Later that night, the control arm on front passenger side broke. Had broken and been rewelded. Took LCA off 92. No problems.

Couple days later and the clutch is unresponsive. Clutchmasters FX300 ended up wearing the clutch disc to bare metal and seizing to the flywheel... never slipped! So now I need a clutch and flywheel. Also deleting cruise. And ABS. And redoing all the vacuum lines. And new coolant hoses. And...

I love this car, even if it IS purple!

Lets see, somthing that went wrong on my eclispe when I bought it... oh ya!

Wasn't told that the brakes were upgraded from GS-T to GSX pads, rotors and calipers... both front axles were bad, had a leaky valve cover gasket, turbo blew a week after getting the car. Alarm system starting going off after only opening the pass door or hood, the radio antenna doesn't extend, the front hub bearing starting to go, the intercooler had a crack in it, annnnnnd... with a bad aftermarket turbo, there was NO boost controller set up on it.

Other than that it's ooookay.
replaced both axles, replaced the brakes, new MHI turbo is on it's way, the boost controller's connected, the alarm is ripped out, has a new punishment racing intercooler, valve cover has been relaced twice, and the only thing I'm looking for now is stock bumper and side skirts to replace the horrific body kit. LOL

But it's actually fun, I love having the car, and like to work on somthing other than my bike or Jeep.

My dad had it since it was new but it had been sitting for a long time because the computer went bad. I bought it from him replaced the computer and all was good drove home changed fluids, filters, etc. next day driving to get insurance and it starts sputtering like a VW bug! One coil went bad. ordered and replaced both of them just in case. Love the car for 6 months then, crankwalk!! doing a full engine build now.

Coils went bad huh? hate it when that happens on a dsm. So did you change the Trans... I mean distributor too while you where at it.

Worst thing that happended after I got a DSM eh? alright gotta good one for ya. 1st DSM I ever bought,
beautiful, low mile 91 Plymouth Laser RS turbo, completely stock, light blue with metal flake, GORGEOUS CAR! 1st week, trans half case cracks, replace that, clutch goes, replace that. 2nd week, me and my little brother took a trip up to philly to grab a cheese steak from Pats (was kind of like a tradition with us every friday night) on the way back get into a nasty crash hit a wall at 90 racing some dude in a mustang (bad idea, good learning experience!) no big thing though, needed a fender, wheel, and a lower control arm. Thew on the spare and headed home. Were cruising along on 95 south headed back to delaware, and we get hit in the rear by some drunk dude in a Z28 Camaro. Dude passed out behind the wheel and mashed the gas, hit us in the rear going 110 mph, (or so he said last time he looked at his speedo). Spun us around into another wall, again. We ended up waiting for medics on the side of the road FOR 45 MINUTES FOR THEM TO GET THERE, (BASTARDS!), bleeding from the head, abdoman, my right leg, with several broken bones and a broken shoulder. Little brother was a little more lucky, a nasty concusion, a dislocated shoulder and a few broken ribs. The dude driving the camaro only recieved a broken nose from the air bag, he would have recieved a few more injuries if we could have gotten out of the car! The realy screwed up part is the dude stumbles out of his car with a bottle of vodka in his hand, walks up to us, and says "this sucks man" "I wrecked my car dude" goes on about his drinking problem and finaly gets to "oh SH!T you guys alright?".......what a bastard. anyway thats my worst thing thats happend to me in a DSM, not a good way to start out an experience!

just got my car a few weeks ago. i planed on geting a bunch of things fixed and put on some aftermarket parts... then the thing that happens to me every single time i go to get new cool stuff for any car i own.. somthing like 5 feet of water in my basement happens and slows down my build....life sucks butt holes sometimes

well my first mistake was buying it from a bunch of mexicans who thougth they knew what they were doing when they had it, and second, the starter went out the first day, the second day it kept giving me idle problems so bad it would just die and it never wanted to start even after the new starter was put in, then the third day, my clutch went out on me on i25 leaving denver...sucks, but man i still love DSM :):thumb:

Batman™;152059588 said:
Boost Controller randomly didn't work. Caused a boost spike of ~32 PSI. Combined with a crankwalk symptomatic motor, equaled complete carnage.

-Number 1 piston rod let go.
-Blew 3 holes in the front of the block.
-Blew one major hole in the back of the block.
-Machine gunned the oil pan.
-Blew out the back of the block with so much force it broke the starter in half.
-Blew through the oil pan so hard it busted the transfer case.
-Hit the transfer case so hard it completely cracked the transmission bellhousing.
-Oh... and bent some valves.

That was a fun day.

wow man i think u win this one! LOL that sucks dude! im sorry to hear all that

about 2 years ago i bought a 96 tsi i took it in for a starter and alarm about 25 minuts after i got my car back their it went the entire car cought fire only 2 days after i got now i have an esi im working on but i cant wait to get another tsi:hellyeah:

Well..Bought my first 97 gst in 2007. the car was 9grand, I put 3grand down on it. Me and two friends were goin to walmart and i decided to floor it and let it bounce off the rev limiter. So here i go and snap!! Timing belt pops. Being a noob to cars at the time i took it back to the dealer i got it from and they tried to charge me 3grand to replace the head and it was my dd..I let it go now its on my credit.

I then bought a 98 gs in november of 2007. I sold it to a girl because it was auto and just too slow(I still had the boost bug fever)

So i bought a 95 gst from some guys in indian trail by monroe North Carolina. They continued to praise it after it wouldnt crank. So they offered the car fot 1200 dollars cause it wouldnt crank. i bought it, got the motor rebuilt and everything..Wireharness was cut into a million peices. I kind of employed myself at that shop and help tear and put the car back together. Had the car runing for a while but the wire harness was shorting out and kept burning my ecu's(I bought three).

So i was giving up..i bought a 97 gst that had a blown motor and drop my motor in..it ran great. Headgasket blew, causing my car to overheat. So back in the shop we go again. The last day i got the car out i went home got fresh for the rest of my night out. I got back in my car and said well..I just want to feel it(the boost) so thinking my car is done correctly i floored it and my 20psi gauge was maxed out and i had a disturbed look on my face like why is it and BOOM!!! Headgasket again. come to find out my vacuum hose to my intake manifold was not connected to my wastegate. I was overboosting.

I now know the enough knowledge so my DSM's will never see another shop..

A bolt for the alternator bracket fell out. While I was on my way back from the hardware store with the new bolt, the belt jumped off of the pulley. The center timing belt cover happened to be missing and the alt belt decided to go through the gap and get caught up in the cam gears, making it jump timing. Pistons hit the valves... you know how it goes.
Anyway, I wanted to save some time, so instead of rebuilding the engine myself like I should have, I bought a supposedly newish built up engine with forged internals from Jesse Noll at High Line Motors in WI. After getting the engine in, as soon as I started it, it knocked like a mofo! It had a bad crank or rod bearing.
So Jesse rebuilt the bottom end for me, but I still had to pay for some of the parts (dumb of me I know!). Now I have the engine back in again, but I cant start it because I still have to get parts that Jesse lost while he had the engine.
Later I found out from an old friend of Jesse that Jesse tried building this engine twice before selling it to me and it spun a bearing every time. Great business man Jesse is, huh?
Moral of the story, DO NOT DEAL WITH JESSE NOLL OR HIGH LINE MOTORS!
There is a reason why he gets banned from DSM forums and his ex friends have to take him to court.
I had to take out a loan for the engine and havent been able to drive my dsm for almost two years! I was only able to drive the car for a couple months when I bought it until this happened.

Beat that hell story!

I should have known better to have bought a car from a dealer named Paradise Motors LOL. I Picked up my 99gsx with 80k miles on a saturday. I was stoked showed all my friends, took em for rides ect. ect. Sunday night i pull out of my driveway with a friend and hear a very loud knockin sound coming from the engine i knew exactly what it was. Monday i drove it to work ( Benz Dealer ) and had a tech look at it. He confirmed my beliefs that i needed a new motor. I called the dealer and asked about the extended warranty i had purchased with the car and they said it was too soon to take advantage of the warranty. :confused: so i stopped the payment on the car and told them if they would like to get payed for this car they could come pick it up and replace the motor which should be covered by the warranty. That or they could come pick the car up and i would go find another car some where else. Needless to say they fixed it with a motor we had to find with aproxx 40k miles.

(We had a very large snowstorm down here in TN and got stranded at my buddies house on my way home from picking my DSM and left on the Third Day there, while still lots of snow, slush, and Ice

On my way back I was getting onto the interstate, coming off a on-ramp, and i guess i was just going to fast. once the onramp straightend out, my car did not, and i over corrected which sent me spinning the otherway, and corrected again which spun me around, and put me into the wall...luckily I did not hit the wall because there was about 9 inches of snow dirt and slush on the shoulder which stopped me from hitting the wall, and luckily I was also able to get out. (I was going 30ish when i spun out btw. My tires were just horrible. i never went faster then 45 on the interstate and it was a 20 mile drive.

Very Scary but glad the car was saved and unharmed.

first time I drove it as "my" car was this afternoon, it was low on fuel so first stop was the gas station...didn't make it, hike over a mile and back to put a gallon in and make it to the station.

My clutch went to shit about 5 miles from where I got it. Maybe less.
I knew it was on its last few miles and suggested that we get a car trailer and trailer it home.
But nope, we had to leave it to some shady as towing company to tow, and fix my brand new car.
When I got the car back they didn't hook up the speedo cable, and they charged me forty bucks for a lug removal kit (car had aftermarket wheels and tuner lugs) but I didn't get the kit when I got my car.

I purchased my GS-T 4/30/2007. It is 3/3/2010 and i have only driven my car 1200 miles since i have purchased her.

Here are my events. 1) 30 minutes after purchase i get pulled over and arrested for suspended license w/o knowledge. 2) One week after owning her, a bearing spins. 3) 7 months later at the first start of the rebuild, my stock turbo blows 4) 2 After installing a new Big 16G timing jumps 5) Oil pump seizes and bearing starts spinning and the same day my driver seat snaps in half 6) After Loading her unto the U-haul tow i open my driver door and break the upper side skirt.

Hopefully after 3 years of Bullshit and this rebuild i will be finally able to enjoy my ####ing car.

Exactly a month after i bought my 99 RS I was on my way to visit a female friend ;) and i was on a back road that i knew well so i got on it to see how my car really handles. not 10 seconds after i get on it and come around a turn, guess who i see in my rear view mirror. A state trooper. I get a $200 for "excesive speeding" and he says "im cutting you some slack by not giving you one for reckless driving too". But i still get some from my lady friend. And not a week later i get a notice that the state is suspending my license for 90 days. and the day after that my car wont shift, guess what, had to replace the master and slave clutch cylinders. ($300) And now i have a 3000 dollar lawn orniment. But i still love it.

My 3rd 1g, was pretty much a nightmare from the get go. It was my most expensive dsm, pretty stock, but clean. Supposedly had brand new timing components, and headstuds/hg. Well I put a total of 10miles on it before parting it out. Guy royally f**ked me, did the timing wrong, skipped teeth, bent valves, and just so happened the balance shaft belt snapped too. So gave up on that one...haha

This happened to me just recently and was totally unexpected because I'd never had any issues with this part of the car before.

So I get out of work and I'm trying to get to church; I avoid the freeway since I only have to drive a few miles and the street route is usually a little less congested. I stop at a light on a busy intersection and when I go to pull away, I hear this loud clank followed by several more clanks and a serious drag on the drivetrain.

Luckily, I was near a residential area so I had no issue pulling out of traffic and finding a place to park. Long story short, the driver's side rear axle had come completely unbolted (nuts backed out) and started flopping around. I didn't drive the darn thing that far from where it happened, but it destroyed the axle boot, knocked the adjuster knob off my AGX strut, bent both my upper and lower suspension arms, and put a serious hurting on my clutch because of the drag when I tried to park it.

TOTAL freak incident, I mean those bolts had lock washers on them! I shudder to think what would have happened if I was on the freeway!

well after driving 6 hours to get the car to start wich i didnt mind. comeing back about 2 hrs from home it threw the main belt. wouldnt be so bad if it had happened earlier in the day but this was at 10 at night(no parts stores open) so ended up having to have it towed to the hotel i had to stay over night in. the cost was almost 500 bucks just for about a mile of towing. the next morning went to the parts store and got a new belt changed it out and was on my way. got home and checked the error codes it was throwing. previous owner said it was only due to a bad o2 but nope there were about 13 different codes being thrown. some of the stuff causing codes were taken out due to the previous owner "cleaning" up the engine bay. also found out that the guy also tuned the car super lean to save on gas while driving around town. needless to say it cant pass inspection yet and my car is a spyder and we all know the weather is getting nicer out. enough said on that. well after further inspecting the car ended up finding out that alot of the upgrades this guy had done were half assd so i have been slowly redoing alot of the shady work. but eh what can i say its my daily driver/project.

Did a compression test, and it when well, but after putting the parts back. It made a weird cranking noise on the left side of the head. Still havent figure what it is yet. Also antilock brake light is on forever. Often white/blueish smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Car drove well for a few months. Then one night driving from school I go through this long tunnel and I open her up a bit just to hear her roar. Just as I drop it in 4th. BOOOM! My tranny goes! Guess that was my initiation into DSM's.:p

Wen I bought it and tried registering at the DMV, it was 6yrs behind on tag fees, so I had to pay $556. That's my worse.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

leaky heater core....this is 50 minutes after buying the car...i gots to have my heat!!!

well after driving 6 hours to get the car to start wich i didnt mind. comeing back about 2 hrs from home it threw the main belt. wouldnt be so bad if it had happened earlier in the day but this was at 10 at night(no parts stores open) so ended up having to have it towed to the hotel i had to stay over night in. the cost was almost 500 bucks just for about a mile of towing. the next morning went to the parts store and got a new belt changed it out and was on my way. got home and checked the error codes it was throwing. previous owner said it was only due to a bad o2 but nope there were about 13 different codes being thrown. some of the stuff causing codes were taken out due to the previous owner "cleaning" up the engine bay. also found out that the guy also tuned the car super lean to save on gas while driving around town. needless to say it cant pass inspection yet and my car is a spyder and we all know the weather is getting nicer out. enough said on that. well after further inspecting the car ended up finding out that alot of the upgrades this guy had done were half assd so i have been slowly redoing alot of the shady work. but eh what can i say its my daily driver/project.

for future referance, a flat shoelace will last 62 miles, a round shoelace will last 113 miles....been there done that...(if your belt breaks and its late) ;p

i was doing doughnuts in my z28 and broke my alt/AC belt and have the burnout on video ;p
YouTube - liquidz28's Channel
LOLROFL
just fastforward past my friends queer ass honder...

Last edited:
Alright so right after I got my 1g I went to wash the engine compartment and right after it started running like shit... after a while it went away and ran fine... Later that night I was sitting at arby's and it just died. The car would crank but not turn over. I couldnt hear the fuel pump so I assumed it was that, so i replaced the fuel pump at 3AM and it still wouldnt start. Replaced Plug wires and a couple other things, only to realize my crank position sensor got water in it. NICE.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back