The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What's that worst thing that happened to you when you got your DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bought it with a bummed transmission. fixed transmission. turbo went out. fix ed turbo. valve seal went bad. fixed valve seals. piston rings went bad. bought new motor. map sensor went bad. bought 97 eclipse gs spyder. roof leaks. fixed roof. hard to get into gear. thats not fixed yet im doing a turbo swap from my gsx : ) not to mention my valve cover leaked and the plugs fouled. oh and to top it off ill be blowing this motor as soon as i put the turbo on..LOL..i dont think 158k motor will like the boost to much.

My friend convinced me to get a dsm after i totalled out my integra. We drove to a shop about an hour away and found a pleasent looking 1990 eclipse, we test drove the crap out of the car and i decided i was gonna get it. After the owner convinced me the car had all kinds of rebuilt goodness in it, i paid for the car. I decided to drive it home, got on the local freeway, and spun a rod bearing about 3 miles away from the shop...

Bought the car, drove a mile down the road and turned onto a busy divided highway. Stopped at a stoplight and as i took off it died, i just figured okay no big first time driving the car. Wouldnt start, dead as a rock in the middle of the inter section. My cousn was following me and helped me push it off to the side. Luckily the dude i bought it from had a AAA card and they towed it. Turns out the crank sensor took a crap. The cops stopped while we were waiting for the tow truck to make sure everything was okay, we said ya it just broke down. As the hot chick cop turned around to walk back to her car, she said "too bad, its such a pretty car" :sneaky::rocks:

I had my 1G for a month and I had a clutch and an alternator go. Well, I've had the car for 13 months and I've gone though 2 clutches, 2 alternators, a flywheel, 4 oil return lines, and as of yesaterday, a radiator. I know some is maintenance, but some prematurely went out (alternator, clutch). Oh, and my starter is starting to go. Lol

three days after i bought my 1g the clutch went out... replaced it and everything wasimaculant... wasdriving down the interstate power shifted 3rd to
4th and caked the interstate with oil... at the time didint know that it was an oil filter housing o ring... got back to my house pulled it off the trailer and spent 2 days trying to find out what happen... finally figure out we coulda spent an hour fixing it... got it put together and satrted it.. it pured like a kitten... i drove it three miles from my house. we pull into wal-mart and all of a sudden three loud bangs and jults and it dies immediatly... we get out an the timing belt is totaly off the cams... we tear it down for the nex three days and get down to the bare block and i notice something... a crack in the block...:sosad: so im in the process of doing a six bolt swap

bought my 1g with 85k on it, nothing wrong with it and then in the course of 6 months: lost traction going down a hill and hit a fire hydrant, smashed bumber, right front corner of hood, and pop up headlight. ice formed between driver door and fender, went to open it to get in and crunched the fender in and bent the lip of the door back. 14b went out, lifter tick started, valve seals leaking, clutch went out and nuetral clutch fork snapped, leaky tranfser case, leaky valve seals and then idle surge started.

of course everything is mostly going smooth now but wow i thought i was cursed.

My first dsm. I bought it off the lot it had 59,997 miles on it. Before i got home it turned 60,001 Driving 25mph on the way home and it just cut off and i pulled over. Broke timing belt. $2500. A few months later I was driving after a snow and right into my Aunt in laws yard. If it wasnt for a stump that i so graciously hit. It would have been sitting in her living room. My new dsm I havent even drove at all yet, I was working on the engine left a flash light under the hood. Cracked the F****** windshield. great

bought mine out of state, from a couple, the guy had a stealth and the girl owned the gsx. car has over 200K on body but had a jdm engine put it , an all the other things put in like timing belt and such. actually my first stick shfit car. so i decide to drive it home by myself not knowing how to drive manual to well. i did stall it on the test drive, but never after that been doing good, also had a new clutch in it also. so thrilled to have my turbo car. drove the car for 3 month the turbo starts whining loud,so i go an put in a 16g everything good, then i start blowing radiator hoses. my oil returned lined got loose an leaked. got it all good an running, an let my friend borrow my car since the tranny in his went.he calls me at 5 am telling me that he was driving my car to work and tha he oil light comes on then the car shuts off. it siezed up, ran out of oil. seems the oil return line blew, now im in the process of a rebuild

This wasnt really right after i got my car, but it was the first big problem. just over a year after i got it, i was driving home from school for Christmas break, and all of a sudden there was a big drop in power, and i heard a nasty knock. you would think it was a thrown rod, but come to find out, my crank decided to completely break in half!

I recently bought a 92 talon tsi awd. As a kid my neighbor had a few that he was always wrenchin on for weeks at a time to get them running and i fell in love with the vehicle. So this is my first dsm. Nice car thought i was gettin an ok deal.. Its got 84000 miles for 4800.. Its got a fidanza aluminum flywheel thats not set in the tranny right so i got the stock one and need to replace it but 2 weeks after i got it the clutch arm on the act 2600 snapped and its just hanging out of the bottom of the clutch.. i wanna get the tranny rebuilt along with the clutch when it gets done but dont know if i have the funds to get all that done. Im wondering if the tranny can wait or not.

Bought my first DSM about a month and a half ago.

Ran decent got it for 1100 and it had 119k on her. Gears were kinda jumpy and reverse was absolutely disgusting. I figured no biggie i'll be ok. Driving to family video a week later she just completely stopped going into any gear. Used a friends jimmy to tow her home took it apart come to find out the previous owner forgot to wrench back in 4.....i kid you not 4 bolts into the bell housing. So in turn it snapped my clutch, and ruined the flywheel. Replaced all that with a clutch masters setup.

3 weeks later i start smoking. Tore down the turbo setup found out i had an ebay 20g......awesome shaft play outthe A$$. As it currently stands i have a small leak in my oil return which i am fixing today, and i'm rocking a T25.

Oh and my upper raditor blew about a week ago pulling into my driveway. Thankfully i got her shut off before any real overheating issues could be caused. Got it fixed with a quick trip to advanced =]

Bought my DSM a few hours before I had to go into work. Drove it around town till I had to be into work and everything was fine and it was smoking because of the blown turbo. My work is 30 miles from my house. After work I started my venture home. I got it up to 60mph and a guy in front of me applied his brakes. I pushed in my cluch and the car just died. I got it pulled over to the side of the road and it would not start. The next day I had my dad hook a rope onto my car and to his truck and pulled me home. After getting everything torn apart I seen that the timing belt had teeth missing from it. Then the "B" belt also is broke. After getting both belts purchased and installed I go to start up my car and everything turns over but my oil pump sprocket... Still trying to get that fixed while paying off my loan I borrowed from the bank.:cry:

My friends 2g had human shit alll over his convert top..and door handles( his ex did that to him)

After 1 week the transfercase went.......then the turbo went.......then the balance shaft bearings the caused the turbo to lock up destroyed all my bearings, pistons, everything.....Now after a rebuild and CAREFULLY rebuilding my engine, I have a leak somewhere around the front case coating the new timing belt in oil......Why did i buy a DSM again...?:confused:

i had a perfect 91 fwd ran strong for 4 years with never a problem ( surprised )
i had a 91 firebird traded for a awd chassis that needed a motor well i swapped my motor in it stripped and junked the rusty fwd, the day i got the swap done the first test drive the trans blew out not but 10 minutes of driving, the whole bottom went missing like a grenade went off.

driving home from buying the car check engine light comes on engine starts smoking. Get cel checked says something is wrong with timing so i try and fix it, smoke goes away must have been spilled oil or something. Week later rod bearing is spun engine is junk. In process of installing new engine now!

drove the car for 3 days, then the last night, went to change out injectors, tranny fluid, and oil change. On my way home, the car jumped timing. VERY fortunately, it broke down right in front of my work's parking lot, so i rolled it into a spot and the next day found out that I had jumped timing because my oil cooler lines were dragging and sprang a leak. then for the next five months I went through two motor swaps a tranny swap, new 4 bolt rear, and transfer case. BUT after that it ran like a damn champ! (####in sonofabitch)

spent 2 months working on it, making it drivable and looking nice.
finally got it running, and the next day the turbo went out:cry:

When i got my car i looked it over and heard it run. Everything was great. This is number 21 for me. About 2 miles down the road it cut out and wanted to die, i looked at cluster it was on e. I stopped at the gas station and put fuel in it, came back out and wouldn't start this is at 2:00am i send my wife and my buddy's girlfriend to get a battery from wal-mart when they get back it is 2:30am and i am 2 hrs away from home. Put the new battery in starts great and start to drive about 7 miles down the road it dies at a light, and wouldn't start again with brand new battery. Mess with it for about 5 mins still nothing get cables jump it nothing so we push it and it fires. This is 2:45am and i have to be at work at 7am. finally get home and i let it sit for 2 days before i mess with it, start to build it and get alot of mods sone this is a month later now pull it out Sunday and take it 5 miles to the gas staition run and pulls great get gas go to leave and the positive cable burns at the pumps.

I bought my third 1st gen to steal the AWD tranny and transfer case to make my race car complete. After I fixed the major oil leak from the block, I found out that first gear is out. There is also something in a bind because the car won't even roll in neutral.... and so goes the life of a dsm'er. :hellyeah: and for some reason I still love them. :confused:

Got my talon 1990 awd lil sticky going into 1st and it idles a lil funny, so i have it 5 days clutch disk shreads, get new clutch put in , new maf and ecu now she prrrs but 1st,3rd and 5th do not want to co-operate so im gona be needing a trans rebuild:banghead: I will drive this trans till this trans is no more, call jack or shep and good excuse to put in act also.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back