The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What's an acceptable oil tolerance for camshaft journals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
I'm really surprised I havent even been able to find a factory spec on this, online. But maybe im just searching the wrong things. I just plastigauged my cams, all 12 caps. here is what I got.

Intake:
1: 0.003"
2: 0.003"
3: 0.00275"
4: 0.0025"
5: 0.003"
6: 0.003"

Exhaust:
1: bolt stuck in one cap hole. Inaccurate reading but closest spot was just less than 0.003"
2: 0.00175"
3: 0.00275"
4: 0.003"
5: 0.003125?"
6: 0.0035"

1 referring to timing side of course.

I plan on running possibly as heavy as 15W50, I've heard good things, will these camshaft clearances seem okay to you guys? I dont really know what they should be.

I'm really surprised I havent even been able to find a factory spec on this,
Maybe you haven't checked the FSMs. It's taken from the 1G 6 bolt FSM. The journal OD/Oil clearance/End play for 7 bolt should be the same.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1: bolt stuck in one cap hole. Inaccurate reading but closest spot was just less than 0.003".
You have to remove it, and repair if necessary.

I will most certainly remove and replace the broken bolt before I run the cap. Its not stuck in the cap sorry, it broke down in the threads in the head, it just needs to be pulled out.

Thanks for that info, I'll go off that. I wasn't able to find anything like that for a 7 bolt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back