The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What would you do in my situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTUDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2005
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
here is the thing,i rebuilt my head not that long ago,paid 2300 for all the work and parts.Took the car and couple days after i took it,is start losing compression.Went back to mechanics and they took a head,and saw,that my 2 pistons were locked,i mean they moved really hard,and all that caused me a damage in a cylinder walls.so right now the guys gave me an estimate to fix all that thing which was 3600$. Is it worth to fix that.or it would be better to get a 2g GSX (97-99)?

the shop really should have noticed that. it really comes down to your decision if you want to keep THAT car or go awd, id say get the 2g you want:thumb:

for get that!!!!:notgood:! 3600$ you can buy a crate short block for that much.stage 3.then if you want to go gsx you have a fresh motor ready.

well the shop is really reputable i think.but i might be wrong... ok if ill buy a new shortblock ,would it be hard to put everything back???? ### one of the guys gave a nice idea,to built the engine ,and then get a gsx for cheap lets say with blown motor... 3600 For a motor i think its too mutch,plus i got brend new head,all it needs to be done is: bore a cylinder walls,new pistons with rods and rings,polish the crankshaft journals and thats it.

Tru. But if it were my car I would buy a built forged internalls short block and mate that to your freshly rebuilt head. Then find the 2g awd you want, put them together and have a real awsome car in the end.

I would go to the mechanic an see if they can work a deal with you building the short block in the 1G. It is something they should have noticed and if you can get a built engine for cheaper that would be way better in my opinion then 2G. Plus, with a 1G you have a sweet sleeper.

how did they not notice that? but hey some people make mistakes and I would make sure that they pay for it not you.

Get a new mechanic and go for another DSM. For $3600, you can find a good working condition GSX.

I would take it to another shop and get a second opinion on why it happened. Sounds kind of strange this occurred days after getting it back. $3600 is not that expensive including labor. Yes it could be done a lot cheaper yourself.

if your looking for a new shortblock, check out jackson auto racing. i was looking for a new shortblock for my car and it there stage two block with wiseco pistons and eagle rods looks like a pretty solid deal. As far as rebuilding the engine you have, if you have the knowledge or the bankroll then go for it. But as im sure you know any shop is gonna cost a fortune to rebuild when all said and done

well first when i brought the car back to the shop,they checked compression and 1st cylinder had 25psi.so they looked at the Spark plugs,and they had white tip,so they told me that i burned the rings by running lean,but i told them,that it can't be possible to burn all the rings.so next they tokk off the head,pull out one piston,and it was locked,the rings were tight,i couldn't even move the rings on a piston. all they did was :

standard head rebuilt installed new seals and valve job 375$
Honed the block re-ringed pistons 375$
replaced crank bearing 75$
replaced rod bearings 78$
put ARP head studs, 100$
checked valve cylinder
all the gaskets
new timing belt
new t-belt tenssioners
and they told me that they are not responsible of what happened,because i didn't changed the pistons :(

save yourself money and buy a crate engine my dsm came with the paper work on how it had a $750 long block in it i didnt read your profile to see what kinda mods you have but if its manly bolt ons and the head take them off and put them on the crate engine. Thats my op

You have the worst grammar ever. With 3600 dollars, I'd buy a motorcycle, preferably a vespa.

He is asking what HE should do not what YOU would do :toobad:. I would say it depends on how much you like your car to begin with, but it seems you want a GSX so go for it if the shop wont fix the damages.

well i was looking for a GSX,but couldn't find a good one. :( so i decided to build the engine with all the goodies:

"JE" pistons/w rings
Eagle rods
ACL crank and rod bearings
New oil jets
New Freeze Plugs
New Oil galley plugs
new N/T water pipe
ARP main and head studs

What else should i get for a Bottom Rebuild???

well i was looking for a GSX,but couldn't find a good one. :( so i decided to build the engine with all the goodies:

"JE" pistons/w rings
Eagle rods
ACL crank and rod bearings
New oil jets
New Freeze Plugs
New Oil galley plugs
new N/T water pipe
ARP main and head studs

What else should i get for a Bottom Rebuild???

a new oil pump. i would. don't want to take a chance with that fresh motor.:talon:

^^^I agree. Something went wrong, I dont believe that reusing your pistons would cause them to lock up. Since you are going ahead with a rebuild, I WOULD NOT recommend taking it to the same place. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

It only costed me $340 for attaching pistons to rods, hot tanking, boring and decking my block (i did the rest of assembly). But around 575 for all parts. $3600 (does that include dropping the motor back in) is hella expensive. Slowboy's stage 3 block is $1000 bucks cheaper than that. Also did you take just the head over the to shop or the whole car. If you took the whole car than i agree with the rest that they should have caught that while putting the on everything and doing the timing.

$3600 that is a bit to much for that job. If you are willing to spend that much i would go with a 97-99 gsx. I have a 95 gs-t and if i could go back i would get a newer one. Sometimes when I went to buy parts for my original motor I quite often got the wrong parts because of the parts places computers. The first year of that body style is mixed with 1g and 2g parts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back