The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What to look for on 1g eagle talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakotabailey47946

Probationary Member
Dec 4, 2017
Francesville, Indiana
I've been looking at eagle talons for a few months I don't know a ton about them but I've always liked the look and thought it would be cool to own one so I was just trying to get some info on what I should watch for on these cars any help would be awesome thank for your time

Well to be honest this has been covered over hundreds of times on the sight, a simple search would provide all of the info your looking for. But I will try and give you some pointers. If it’s a 1g car your looking for I would look out for any sort of abnormal idle because that could be sign of a bad isc which could lead to a damaged ecu, then just go over the basics like brakes, tires and normal maintenance like timing and balance shaft belts. Another thing to watch out for would be any sort of body damage. Finding things like fenders, hood, doors are extremely hard to find and can be expensive especially head lamps. The same goes for interior pieces.

I would also ask to check the turbos shaft play, any in and out play and well your looking at a new turbo nine times out of ten, a little up and down play is acceptable. Also look out for white smoke on start up, this could indicate the turbo needs a rebuild.

I would also try and find one that’s a six bolt year 92.5 down I do believe.

If it is a 2g your looking for, I would avoid the 95 and 96 because of crank walk issues. Yeah some have got lucky but why purchase based on luck.

Hope this was of some help to you or anyone else looking to purchase a dsm and please in the future try searching a bit first.

I do not think the op’s thread is about spelling or grammar and I am sure he can read what I wrote perfectly. If you would like to add something of importance to his question be my guest.

I do suppose I can clean up my sentences a bit better but there is no need to target me. I mean have you read others post? Why not consult them as well.

It's a shame that the spell checker is gone now, I used it all the time, but I agree that addressing the question was what you were doing.

Being brutally honest, if you are not a person that is willing to get their hands dirty and learn how to WORK on these cars then they are probably not the car for you. On the other hand, if you are a hands on person and willing to read up and attempt to maintain one, then have spare cash on hand and check all maintenance items first such as timing belt, water pump, all fluids and filters changed, like @DannyE has said....normal stuff, but can get pricey on top of the price of the car itself. Be patient and don't just jump on the very first thing and you may get a decent starter car. :thumb:

The funny thing is, when I purchased my car I had the intention of just doing basic maintenance and having a little fun before doing a full build but that went out the window as soon as the timing belt went :( now it’s a full blown build now instead of later. Keep in mind that a timing belt kit done right is $250 minimal and that’s if you can do it yourself. Little things like hoses, dry rotted plastics and wiring all can add up.

@1990TSIAWDTALON Thanks, Spell checker would be fantastic, especially for someone like me fresh out of first grade :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back