1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G What program for this I found in my floorboard?

Posted by Echosyp, Jan 24, 2020

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Echosyp

Echosyp Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2019
    Clanton, Alabama
    Long story short, a few months ago I was looking for a GST or GSX as I've always wanted one and I needed a new daily driver to and from work and wanted a fun car to mess with the honda and mustang kids around here.

Found one on FB and was going to pull the trigger and buy it, it was only 3 hours away. I done one last Marketplace search and by miracle 7 minutes ago a guy had posted his 97 GST for sale. So I quickly messaged him and now I've owned the car for almost 3 months.

It had brian crower stage 2 cams installed and was tuned / dynoed by the shop. So after I brought it home I started cleaning it up and going thru it, as I pretty much bought it sight unseen besides a few facebook photos, but it made the 5 1/2 hour drive home with no issues.

So going over the car, whoever built it done it right with some nice quality parts, I noticed they was setting it up for speed density as it has the MAP and IAT sensors installed just not wired up.

So anyways, in the back floorboard kicked under the driver seat I found this what I'm guessing was used to tune the car, as I sent the guy pics and he said he had no idea what it was or where it came from, the shop he used might of left it in the car.

Also I noticed someone has moved the ECU as it's no longer bolted behind the radio, its just sitting loose in there on the carpet. So for all I know it could have DSM Link as I haven't taken it out to inspect it.

But just wondering if this was used to tune the car, what program and cable would I need to use?

If it ever quits raining I'll get out there and inspect the ECU and see if it has dsm link or not. Also, it's been 15 years or longer since I've last messed with any type of import, since I owned my old eclipse back in like 2002. If I unplug the ECU would that mess with anything when I plug it back up? Or should I be good to go?

Attached Files:

Street Build 247  2

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  2. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Does that plug into the OBDII port?

Road Race Build 3K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

41  3

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire 150R
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

53  6

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire (325 swapped)
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles
  3. Echosyp

Echosyp Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2019
    Clanton, Alabama
    Yea it fits the port when I tried

Street Build 247  2

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  4. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Mostly likely just a dongle for a scan tool.

It's useless to you.

Echosyp likes this.
  5. curt-s

curt-s Proven Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    I wouldnt plug anything you found under the seat into an ecu. Maybe just lucky this time but one ground short and poof..

Agreed on the dongle for a scan tool though it appears to have casing provisions for hdmi, mini usb, and perhaps toslink and 1/4 phono? damn thats weird.

If it were me, I would be taking it apart to see what is on the inside that would give it away.

Street Build 2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
    Echosyp likes this.
  6. Echosyp

Echosyp Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2019
    Clanton, Alabama
    I'll crack it open when I get home and see what's inside

Street Build 247  2

fwd · manual · 2G DSM