The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G What offset fits

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Abbott

Probationary Member
Mar 20, 2019
St. Thomas, ON_Canada
Hi guys new here... I'm gonna try to run 18x8.5 fronts and 18x9.5 rear with 215 35 18 rubber .. What offset will keep me from hitting suspension ?

Few things i want to say here.

The rear is going to be the biggest issue with the knuckle,
Also them size tires are not safe and wayyy too streched, i dont advise this but you must be looking for a form effect / looks.

The speedo will also be out of spec by close to 6% which is too much, 3% is max but the less the better.

But you will be looking for a low ET of around 20 ish to clear the knuckles safely but then they stick out so will need fender flares or similer but since you doing the whole streched tires thing i think this is where your headed anyway for the looks your going for

The tires size I'm not worried about they will be perfectly fine for how I drive the car ... 20 offset seems pretty low.. Sense I see guys saying they are running like 35 and 40 on a 8.5 and are flush

The tires size I'm not worried about they will be perfectly fine for how I drive the car ... 20 offset seems pretty low.. Sense I see guys saying they are running like 35 and 40 on a 8.5 and are flush
Then you have answered your own question and could have word it out from there yourself.

Even though they are flush with the outside your forgetting the inside, which is your concern here.
My 17x8.5 et 36 hit/would of hit the knuckle! So you have to come away from that and doing that lowers the ET but also pushes the wheel out so its no longer flush,

If i was you i would jump on a website that does ET calculators, put in stock setup or your current known setup and mess around from there, then you will see what it does and the effects from knuckle to fender etc etc

On your is it the rim hitting or tire hitting?? Cause my tires currently are smaller then stock size and is that front or backs that hit on yours?

The fronts just touched so i sanded a bit off the knuckle,

The rear was going to hit a bit more so i ended up using spacers to fix this At first, then i ditched the spacers and then modified the knuckle to have zero spacers.

So it was both front and rear and its tire hitting, as for you it might be your your wheel hitting since your tire will be streched, so this is where you got to do your own checks as that changes the position of the hitting section so you may gain a few mm more of space, we can only assume and guess and even then it might be wrong.

When doing something like this it always have to trial it by yourself to get this right

Ya i realize its a trial and error I was just hoping someone would be running this setup already and give me a good starting point so I can go off that... The rims I have are a 50 offset so j just need to figure out what spacers I need to bring it out just enough to clear suspension

currently running a set of 17x9 with a +35 offset and i get a slight bit of poke from them. factory evo8 wheels are 17x8 with a +38 offset and are almost damn near flush depending on tire choice.

And Bobby thanks for all the work on the tubular suspension parts that you do man! keep it up!

Last edited:
Just picking a wheel size and saying will this fit doesn't always work. Knowing what options are available in the wheel you want might help you make a different choice to get a different offset.

I will use dads car as an example. I knew what brakes were going on my dad's road course car and what wheels he wanted. To use the wheels he wanted we would have to run a +20 offset to clear the brakes and that was not going to work as it would give some serious poke. So we had to modify the wheel choice.

It's a 1998 Spyder, the rims are 3sdm rims model.. 06
18x8.5 fronts 18x9.5 rears .. Offset is 50

Car

Attachments

• ad_0_1547756797466.jpg
    ad_0_1547756797466.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 110
I'm seeing now why most guys leave... Not cause you are rude it's because you guys know nothing besides putting stock parts on stock cars .. Or let upgrade turbo so I can go faster .. Omg he's got stretched tires we are all gonna die LOL.... Trolls
Stock on stock haha your too funny. I custom make loads for these cars from scratch! If you think for 1 second I or any others just do stock stuff then you have zero clue!

Any calculator will tell you exactly what you need to know, it tells every other person out there in the world so why is it so hard for you to get it to work and give you an exact to the MM answer??? I have used the calculator and BAM i knew exactly what i needed to do, btw i use 18x10.5 et 25 with a 295 tire! So you think this is just bolt on and go then you are mistaken. But to confirm what an online calculator told me i had to check it with wheels, we did advise and i gave you my specs to use as a stsrt point of what i had and issues all you have to do is mess around with your setup and play around with the offset size to get your exact answer,

Heck we dont even know if you have bigger calipers to clear or external res suspension to avoid! Get the point? How can we be exact if we know nothing of the car,

IE if you run brembos, then we know most ET's will be around the 38 mark (wheel depending/spoke design) if not you can go higher but then you go towards the knuckle so then you need a lower ET and then it pushes it out and need flares etc etc, so this is a game we can play all night and speculate, what works for one dont ways mean it will for another and with your tires being so small you may find things work alot differently sue to the tire not being as high and a shallow angle of sidewall.

Use this as a visual aid. https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/pictures-of-wheel-setups.395054/page-5

If I had brembos I would have stated that... Stock brakes . Lowered on coilovers... Simple what et clears rear suspension. .. Mine are +50...need a spacer to bring it out .. Just need to know what works sense I don't have multiple spacers laying around .. 10mm to bring to 40 work? 15 mm? 12mm?? Simple question just needs a simple answer

I don't care about poke or if I have to stretch tires... Just wanna know what offset clears rear suspension with a 18x9.5 rim in rear

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want a gap between the fender and tire 36 is what it said, im inputting the narrow tire and wheel, to clear the wheel 20 is safe and gives a small amount of space, the calculator works out the tire and wheel size and gives you all the data you need in MM! if its lies then go on yourself, what more do you want from us all? we try and help and spoon feed you now you call it lies!!!!
IM DONE!!!!!! go figure this out yourself

There is a ton of useful info here already, but I figured I would throw my wheel specs into the ring as I seem to have maxed out my setup and my tires poke out about .25" past the wheel well.

I run 18x8.5 with a +35 mm offset, I can't recall my tire size but i'm pretty sure its 225. I really don't want to belabor this point any further but I run the absolute minimum tire width for 8.5" wheels. If I didn't run a stiff suspension I am fairly certain I would rub going over bumps

Last edited:
Getting the sense that non of you have any idea whta offset will work LOL....very useful
Just means nobody browsing the site who has read your thread has tried to run the wheel specs you're trying to run. Or maybe they've decided to not chime in after reading how this thread played out. And yet, several members are in here trying to help you anyway, some of them doing forum searches to help you find what you're looking for - and to thank them for their efforts you essentially tell them how useless they are and insult them and all the other members here in several ways. Awesome. And I don't see how Bobby's reply, after his several replies before where he tried helping you out, warranted the name calling you dished out as a response.
The folks who do this tire strech thing dont tend to be on the forums as they too cool for us and dont like our replys LOL, plus its not exactly the safest thing to do. They stick with stance forums, or them pages on fb that dont help either LOL
He pointed out that most people here have historically fallen into the performance category, albeit in a tongue in cheek manner, so it might be tough to find someone with the info you're looking for. So that makes him an "ignorant prick"?
so how about stop wasting my time with useless online rules and save my time for people who can give me answers
Because you agreed to follow those useless rules when you joined. If you don't agree to the simple guidelines we ask all members to follow then you can use another community to get help from.

I removed as much of the hostility from the thread as I could and will lock it but leave it visible in case others who are looking to fit a 18x9.5" width rear wheel on a 2g might find it useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back