The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved What is this sound?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknorth11

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2005
Grand Blanc, Michigan
I recently fixed my clutch, and when taking it out for a test drive, I heard this sound. The clutch now works perfectly and the sound doesn't appear to be related. The sound only seems to happen in forward gears under any throttle, but is worse with more throttle. Bumps also make it happen, but only when throttle is being applied. I was thinking it may be something rubbing/touching when the engine shifts with throttle, but I have poly mounts, so I'm not sure this is the case. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I need this fixed before the shootout!

It is the sound at the 3 second mark.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I understand. Unfortunately, video is hard to get since it only does it when driving. I don't think an engine bay video will be any better since it'll be dark (hood down) and I wouldn't know where to point the camera anyway.

Maybe it would be better to forget about the video and think about what parts move during the described conditions.?

Is this just as you are riding the clutch out as you are getting the car to move, or does it happen when the clutch is completely let out and the car is already in motion?

Does the sound increase/get faster as rpms go up? More throttle = more rpms can you elaborate your last statement?
If you are stopped and start to release the clutch when does the noise occur??
When you are moving and switching gears say 2nd to 3rd, when you push the clutch in is the noise still there??
Just trying to better understand what is happening and get a better description.

Resolved! My alternator has been relocated to the rear and was somehow hitting the firewall (or something back there) under load. I haven't figured out how I'm going to fix it, but it's a simple problem compared to what it could have been. Thanks guys!

LOL Cool! Boy it sure sounded weird... Glad you figured out what it was. Make sure you check out those front and rear motor mounts as it sounds like they may be letting the engine rock back and forth possibly on load.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back