The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What housing can I use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumpaumpalumpa

Proven Member
Jun 16, 2014
La Habra, California
Hi everyone. Short version: I went to go port my wastegate due to a boost creep problem and turns out it's been ported already. They did a terrible job and it has some of the worst cracks I've seen (I'll post some pics tomorrow). The turbo is an FP TD06 20G (from what I can tell). Anyways I'm almost out of funds and need an exhaust housing replacement and would like to know what turbos I can take housings from that would perform equally to what is on now. If anyone has a good price on one let me know please, but all I need is the exhaust housing.

Attachments

• IMG_3680[1].JPG
    IMG_3680[1].JPG
    283 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3681[1].JPG
    IMG_3681[1].JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3679[1].JPG
    IMG_3679[1].JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 174
Any 16g,18g,20g turbo exhaust housings should work. Even the factory 14b. Differences will be in the port sizes and performance.

Also, I have never had a reliable internal gate setup. I went external and never looked back.

Its external off the O2 housing already (not arguing just giving more info) and I really don't have much money to spend right now though I would like to go that way in the future. So you say differences will be in port sizes and performance. I'm guessing ports will be the factory 23mm on those but what performance differences would there be with each and why (I'd like to understand all this stuff if you could give a quick explanation or something I can go digging around with). Is there a physical size difference between the housings? I'll be porting whatever I end up with but I'll leave enough meat on there to reduce likelihood of bigger cracks.

So here is a basic run down of what turbo has what size exhaust housing. I know there was a better source for this but for the life of me cannot find it. As you can see the 14B has 1cm smaller size than the 16g. The biggest difference will be in terms of lag. Smaller housing, quicker spool, top end loss. Bigger housing, laggy but better top end. By the looks of it, you have a ported 7cm2 housing.

Also, for the 20g many people use a 10cm or a ported 7cm housing as the 14cm housing doesn't fit and would just be ridiculously laggy.

Flow Rates @ 15psi:
TDO5H-14B-6CM2 405 CFM
TDO5H-16G-7CM2 505 CFM
TDO5H-16G-10CM2 505 CFM
TDO6-17C-8CM2 550 CFM
TDO6H-20G-14CM2 650 CFM

Max Output:
TD05-14B (stock 1st gen) 275-300hp @ 21 psi
TD05-16G (small) 345-365hp @ 22 psi
TD06-16G (large) 365-385hp @ 22 psi
TD06-20G 430-450hp @ 22 psi
T25 (stock 2nd gen) 235-250hp @ ??

So here is a basic run down of what turbo has what size exhaust housing. I know there was a better source for this but for the life of me cannot find it. As you can see the 14B has 1cm smaller size than the 16g. The biggest difference will be in terms of lag. Smaller housing, quicker spool, top end loss. Bigger housing, laggy but better top end. By the looks of it, you have a ported 7cm2 housing.

Also, for the 20g many people use a 10cm or a ported 7cm housing as the 14cm housing doesn't fit and would just be ridiculously laggy.

Flow Rates @ 15psi:
TDO5H-14B-6CM2 405 CFM
TDO5H-16G-7CM2 505 CFM
TDO5H-16G-10CM2 505 CFM
TDO6-17C-8CM2 550 CFM
TDO6H-20G-14CM2 650 CFM

Max Output:
TD05-14B (stock 1st gen) 275-300hp @ 21 psi
TD05-16G (small) 345-365hp @ 22 psi
TD06-16G (large) 365-385hp @ 22 psi
TD06-20G 430-450hp @ 22 psi
T25 (stock 2nd gen) 235-250hp @ ??
Awesome thanks. I thought that the 16g and 20g exhaust housings were the same. The exhaust side is pretty small. It looks like its using the td05 wheel. Let me grab some pics.

You can see how bad the cracking is in the 1st and 2nd pictures.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That turbo has a TD06 or 06H turbine...you can't directly-swap any turbine housing on it without the housing being machined for such a turbine. In other words- no 14B or 16G housing will work.

That turbo has a TD06 or 06H turbine...you can't directly-swap any turbine housing on it without the housing being machined for such a turbine. In other words- no 14B or 16G housing will work.
Ok so what do I have to do for a replacement? Find a TD05 housing and have it machined? If so how would I go about getting the specs for machining?

Actually, I just re-read and saw you're external off the o2 housing. What are you looking to replace the housing for? If the cracks don't go the whole way through to the exterior of the housing, it's not doing a thing.

Remove the flapper, plug the hole in the housing where the actuator lever went through, and port the hell out of the wastegate hole. Any cracks in that area are going to do nothing to hurt performance.

Use stainless rod and weld it up a bit and run it
I wish I had the skills for that. I've never tried it. Better get to practicing.
Actually, I just re-read and saw you're external off the o2 housing. What are you looking to replace the housing for? If the cracks don't go the whole way through to the exterior of the housing, it's not doing a thing.

Remove the flapper, plug the hole in the housing where the actuator lever went through, and port the hell out of the wastegate hole. Any cracks in that area are going to do nothing to hurt performance.
It's internally gated (HX-35 Actuator which I tested as good) but dumps to atmosphere off the O2 housing rather than back in the exhaust. I'm not sure if that was clear earlier. The strange thing is that to get a significant amount of movement from the actuator you need 25 psi or more; 20 hardly moves it at all. I am running 20psi but it spikes to 25 if i let it in fourth which is expected because of the actuator. But, It sounds like it's opening after 7-10 psi even on very light throttle. Not sure why. The cracks are starting to go all the way through:

Attachments

• IMG_3711[1].JPG
    IMG_3711[1].JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3709.JPG
    IMG_3709.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 104
Its external off the O2 housing already (not arguing just giving more info) and I really don't have much money to spend right now though I would like to go that way in the future.

It's internally gated (HX-35 Actuator which I tested as good) but dumps to atmosphere off the O2 housing rather than back in the exhaust. I'm not sure if that was clear earlier.
Yeahhhh....definitely NOT clear. :applause:

Yeahhhh....definitely NOT clear. :applause:
Yeaaa I meant it dumps to atmosphere oops.
Has to be a crack-free non-Evo III 7cm2 housing (good luck), and use the old housing for any specs you need.
Say I manage to find a housing that looks like it will work. What do I look for to know it is the right one or what other options do I have as far as finding one used.

I'm glad Justin is active clearing stuff up. LOL I really thought any MHI housing would work since the one he has now is an MHI. Sorry for the misinformation.

Did you try contacting Forced Performance? Also another option would be going external gate and do as Justin said. It might be cheaper than machining and finding another housing.

I'm glad Justin is active clearing stuff up. LOL I really thought any MHI housing would work since the one he has now is an MHI. Sorry for the misinformation.

Did you try contacting Forced Performance? Also another option would be going external gate and do as Justin said. It might be cheaper than machining and finding another housing.
Ok I'll give them a call or maybe I'll just go external. I'm guessing it would be best to switch to an FP manifold or something if I were doing that right?

Pretty sure FP doesn't sell their 8cm2 DSM housings to the public any longer. Your choices for a replacement housing are cheap/eBay/Chinese, or something made by Kamak/Kinugawa which costs about as much as what a MHI housing did before they were discontinued.

Pretty sure FP doesn't sell their 8cm2 DSM housings to the public any longer. Your choices for a replacement housing are cheap/eBay/Chinese, or something made by Kamak/Kinugawa which costs about as much as what a MHI housing did before they were discontinued.
I got them up on the phone and they said if its a TD06H housing they have those in stock but if its not the H I'm out of luck. So I need to take the housing off and measure the wheel to determine what it is.

Ok so I finally got to measuring the wheel and it is a TD06 wheel. So I need to find a non evo 3 housing? where would I find something like that? A Fuso?

Ok, just so I understand, what do you mean have it machined out? The one on there is an 8cm2 housing. Would I be having it machined to that spec and that's it. Or do I also need the outlet machined?

There are no direct-fit housings out there for TD06 turbines as no DSM ever came from Mitsubishi with a TD06 turbo installed. That in mind, you'd need to find a TD05H housing and have it machined to accept the larger TD06 turbine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back