1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

What causes paint to do this while painting?

Posted by ziggo0, Nov 18, 2009

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. ziggo0

ziggo0 Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2009
    La Porte, Indiana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prep includes sanding the plastic, brake clean to get oils off, clean with dish soap/clean water, primer, wet sand, clean with dish soap/clean water - then what you see happened in a few spots. Paint was applied lightly and this still happened...

2. deerhunter0881

deerhunter0881 Proven Member

Joined Jan 7, 2008
    Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
    That happened to my brother in law all the time, he now uses a pre spray paint or something???I can call him tomorrow and find out the name. It does not happen too him anymore when he spray paints stuff using that stuff before he paints.

363  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. EagleTSIawd

EagleTSIawd Proven Member

Joined Mar 17, 2005
    Stayton, Oregon
    My guess, oils from the soap or water. This happened to me once on a plastic when i didn't apply any primer. You primed it though but then washed it with soap and water and finally applied the paint, right? I would have just applied the paint with out wash.

640  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 2G DSM
  4. ziggo0

ziggo0 Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2009
    La Porte, Indiana
    Oh, I forgot to add in there right before primer I use adhesion promoter, is that what your talking about?

Primer needs to be wet sanded so there is no getting around a rinse...perhaps it is the soap, i'll try that on the next few pieces (converting the whole interior to black..>!)

5. deerhunter0881

deerhunter0881 Proven Member

Joined Jan 7, 2008
    Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
    adhesion promoter yeah that is it, now that you said that.

363  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. my dreamt dsm

my dreamt dsm Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2007
    Somewhere In, California
    Oil! I tried to spray my head with carb cleaner, dried for 1 hour but OIL is the leading cause!

7. Rob10_99

Rob10_99 Proven Member

Joined May 22, 2005
    Ptown, Arizona
    The problem is most likely contamination, something like armor all will fisheye/distort long after the last time you put it on. It may have contaminated the plastic, and the brake clean didn't get it all diluted or clean.
    Did the brake clean discolor the plastic?

Do any research on dying the plastic for interior pieces?

1K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    29.320 @ 55.000 · 2G DSM
  8. dannyd97gst

dannyd97gst Proven Member

Joined Mar 9, 2007
    DURHAM, North Carolina
    May want to use some paint thinner to clean the part before applying the final coat. I've personally never seen anything like that, it almost looks as though the peice was flexed before the paint cured.

9. dsmspickdad

dsmspickdad Supporting VIP

Joined Aug 18, 2007
    Leawood, Kansas
    Looks like silicone residue, it can be difficult to remove, I would use a paint prep designed for silicone. Brake wash does well in removing oil, but doesn't terrible job with silicone.

10. Insane Performa

Insane Performa Proven Member

Joined May 5, 2007
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    I agree with the above. Brake cleaner and paints don't go together very good. Depending on the paint supplier your using. You should use something like power clean which will get all the oils off and not contaminate. To paint plastic, I would clean with power clean or another degreaser, dry and then wipe down with a wax and grease remover like dx330 from PPG and then spray a adhesion promoter and then paint. Hope this helps.

Street Build 622  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    000.0 whp · 000.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  11. hhuricane

hhuricane Proven Member

Joined Sep 16, 2009
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    There a few things you did wrong. 1st you should have used a degreaser for paints, no dish soap it will leave a residue. Before paint you use something like Final Wipe to get rid of any residue left from sanding, oil on hands etc. Anything you leave on the surface can ruin the paint job. When wet sanding you only need 1-2 drops of soap to help lube the paper, no more and make sure you use a prep wipe after to get all residue off.

12. cdm_sd02

cdm_sd02 Supporting VIP

Joined Feb 28, 2006
    Meriden, Connecticut
    Where all the spots that failed in the sharp inside corners and rigdes?
    Which means there was something still in there oil/water/etc.

As said above try and stay away from using soap at all if you can, and on some of the harder interior plastics (i.e. ABS) I like to some denatured alcohol for a final clean before anything goes down, which also helps with the static issues.

13. JCH1979KY

JCH1979KY Probationary Member

Joined Nov 11, 2009
    CHATTAROY, West Virginia
    that comes from mixing paints... for example oils and acrylacs.. not a speller so bare with me...
    the best way to avoid it is to wash it in rubbing alchol and then use a automotive grade pimer... and dupli-color rattle can spray paint with a couple coats of clear

14. joe sobo

joe sobo Proven Member

Joined Dec 30, 2007
    stuart, Virginia
    the problem i had when painting plastics is that the first coat when on great, but when i let it set up and resprayed 15 minutes later, the new coat made the first coat start to wrinkle just like that.
    did it wrinkle on your first coat or after that?

15. dannyd97gst

dannyd97gst Proven Member

Joined Mar 9, 2007
    DURHAM, North Carolina
    Different paints cured at a different rate?

16. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Incompatible substrates. Either your paint doesn't like your primer, your primer doesn't like your paint, or both don't like the adhesion promoter or the plastic's polymers.

If you look at how the lifting has occurred, it's happening around the groove where the paints / primers may collect and not dry fully. I'm guessing that something wasn't fully dried with the topcoats were applied and it caused the topcoat to lift.

I've never used actual sandable primer when painting plastic. PPG sells a plastic primer (otherwise known as adhesion promoter) in a spray can which is nothing more than a thin, reducer-like product which literally softens the uppermost layer of plastic in preparation for a topcoat. You must be quick- the topcoat must be applied within 20 minutes after the plastic primer has been applied.

It works great- seven years ago I sprayed an all-plastic shelf in my girlfriend's bedroom to match her wall color, and the shelf is still in her room; no paint cracking or flaking despite tons of items being placed on the shelf over the years. It was an experiment, and it's withstood the test of time.

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

5K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  17. ziggo0

ziggo0 Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2009
    La Porte, Indiana
    Guess I'm gonna have to go get some actual prep wipes after all. I wet sanded with water the areas that were screwed up. Rinsed it off, wiped it down with a clean cloth rag, no soap. Second i started spraying it INSTANTLY did the same thing.

18. Squirrel82

Squirrel82 Proven Member

Joined Jul 27, 2009
    Laurel, Maryland

He's right.Try using the same brand of paints,primers clears so that you know they're compatible.Also try to spray lighter coats.Too much solvent will cause that.

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  19. MrBoxx

MrBoxx Moderator

Joined Aug 19, 2005
    Midland, Michigan
    Next time you want to spray paint plastic, try Krylon Fusions. You don't need to prime it. Prep just consists of cleaning the piece before hand. Any degreaser and/or soap and water will work, followed by a quick blast of brake parts cleaner. Paint with Krylon Fusions directly onto the plastic. It's bulletproof after that.

20. SnprSlick

SnprSlick Proven Member

Joined Oct 5, 2008
    Sapulpa, Oklahoma
    Is that Duplicolor? I had the same problem, you didn't clean it good enough.

243  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  21. glowryder

glowryder Proven Member

Joined Jan 23, 2004
    des moines, Iowa
    fusion FTW on plastics.. i always wipe down with a degreaser like simple green, and hit with a primer (even tho u dont need to when using fusion) then i hit it with 3 coats,..11st a light coat, let dry 30 min, then 2 good coats bout an hr apart and a clear.

22. KeelesKustome

KeelesKustome Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2007
    Waverly, Tennessee
    oil doesn't cause cook up or also refered to as lifting as shown in the picture.
    Oil's or silicones cause a fisheye problem, which is where the paint will seperate causing a slight circle that resembles a fisheye.

this is most likely from using a laqure product, also reffered to as raddlecan.

if your parts have been painted raddle canned before then you may have used anothe laquqre product that re activated the previous product causing it to cook up like this.

another scenario, is that you put to much paint on at once, instead of putting really light coats waiting 3-5 min in between each coat on a 80 degree day.

another scenario is that you just didn't wait long enough between coats.

a good flexible adhesion promoter is a great way to open the pores of plastic so that you have a perminant bond but it will still cook up if not applied correctly.

One thing i do before i paint interior plastic, is to get a good red 3m scuff pad and comet and wet scuff these with the comet, so that it cleans and degreeses them while giving it some scratches for the paint to adhere..

then clean them dry . tack them off, spray your adhesion premoter, wait a couple of minutes and begin to spray your paint.

i know the pics aren't the best but this is a small demonstration on how i painted mine on my cb7

l_a2a2cebd6c02c8e5178f6c0ca5e056d6.png
    l_5944130ab5646d2f95e312d5e4f31694.png
    l_f03e63c773f44bab0d1be5aff664bb6f.png
    l_d784977ef4da37ea2e151fe59cf3bc9c.png

the same goes for other plastics like shown in the pic,,, i had decided to use cobalt candy blue over the dry carbon fiber mirrors, as well.

l_18c65076b5b54d8bfc85ce5d51e55b68.png
    l_920c09112583afb07c8f0711f201dd93.png
    l_536d24df9da285020e6c12730b726f2a.png
    l_dfb07c9f35f0457d852f82c8f9a55cea.png

l_87798dc0a396a20edde34b50004a90f1.png