The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Welded coolant pipe, now no power to engine electrical

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morris95talon

Proven Member
Dec 23, 2020
Glendale, Arizona
I have an electrical problem that im stumped on.
Friend welding a patch to the coolant pipe and used battery as ground, battery WAS connected. Now i have No power to engine components. Interior components work fine. I manually tested each component and they work i double checked all fuses and did full relay test on f.p relay and pfi relay. Could my issue be a fried ecu or... What else?

going off this diagram, power comes from the ignition switch to the theft alarm relay. the ETACS activates the relay by grounding the trigger side of the relay.
that allows power to flow to the trigger side of the starter relay. the transaxle range switch provides the path to ground for the trigger side of the starter relay when in park or neutral.

so if you ground the thin black/yellow wire and it still doesn't start with the key, the problem is probably the theft alarm relay isn't activating which could mean you need to replace the ETACS

dsc06141_cr-jpg.620726

Wow!!! The wire grounded worked. Explain me what is wrong to make me have to ground it at the relay?

Sunroof and reverse lights atill nothing but the car starts with the key. How should i properly repair this issue?
By the way the DSM community is AWESOME

well the 95 is has its own setup compared to later models and after doing a little research i found that the 95 have a separate neutral safety switch. It should have a 3 wire. plug. The wire colors are red/blue dashes, black/blue stripe, and black/yellow stripe. The (black/yellow) wire is the one connected to your relay. The neutral safety switch also operates the reverse lights.

imag0205-jpg.127018

I don't f*** with automatics and don't have a 95 service manual so i can't tell you anything about how the neutral safety switch or the range switch operate or how to check them. all i can tell you is your neutral safety switch isn't operating correctly or you have an open circuit (broken wire) between the NS switch and the starter relay.

according to DarkOne who runs 2gnt.com and knows everything possible about 420a equipped talons/eclipses:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

so there is a good chance that the range switch and possibly the input and output speed sensors are fuct.

the neutral safety switch (part# 4671017) has been discontinued by chrysler so the only place your gonna be able to get a factory replacement is probably ebay. https://www.ebay.com/p/83559224

--or you can get one at napa (part# ECH NS6489). If you get one from napa i would take in the old one and make sure it matches up with the new one.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHNS6489

the range switch (part# 4671019) should still be available from chrysler and dodge dealerships or ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mopar-Switch-Prnodl-4671019/303326130486

--napa (part# ECH NS6836). its cheaper to get them from the ebay link i just posted but if you go thru napa or any local parts store your gonna wanna match up the old one an new one.

Okey dokey! First i want to thank all the support and knowledge shared with me. I have very good news. I tried a jump wire for the skinny black and yellow wire and the red and black wire together and
YAY!!! LIGHTS OFF!!!! . still no relay but um is it safe that i run jump wires on both. Car is working great. Took it on a test drive and it Felt AMAZING.

On the other hand still issues at hand
1- no reverse lights. (Sensor is on the way..)
2- no sunroof
3- New no lights on climate control unit
4- No door Locks literally had to pull the fuse because it was draining the battery horribly fast.
And driver side door lock wont budge stuck in unlock position.

Update found the short in. The door lock. Well there is a connector and switch the connects to the back of the key lock cylinder. The green wire was broken at the solder point. Wich when the fuse is in it seems as if someone is holding down the lock button therefore wire feeling disconnected was draining battery. I might try to reconnect the relay and see if the vehicle will start with the relay again hopefully it is almost repaired completely thank you again for all your help.

its gotta be the input speed sensor or output speed sensor. if you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance between the pins on the sensors.
standard valvue is 300 - 1.2k ohms.

Ok. New update.. Sorry have not updated sooner but i just now installed the new sensor.. Starter relay pluged in. #26419. So far shifts great. No ✔ engine light now i just need to get the fuel to pump steady. And still no reverse lights. Im going to check the bulbs first. Thank you again to Everyone that Helped also im debating on getting turbo ... Any suggestions or advice.. Has anyone supercharged before?? I need more powa!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back