1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G weird noise from valve cover/connector identify

Posted by ErikTande, Oct 30, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    What's this connector? blue and black above the heater hoses on the firewall.
    20201030_110717.jpg

also, it sounds like there is a socket in my valve cover. i'll pop it off later tonight.

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

4K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  2. randman2011

randman2011 Proven Member

Joined Feb 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't recall seeing a blue connector on the firewall in my 1998, and I've had the engine out a few times recently, but there are quite a few unused connectors on mine that are taped or zip tied to the harness from the factory. The only items mounted to the firewall in that location are the various emissions solenoids, the injector resistor pack, and the cruise control unit. In my experience with other platforms, a blue connector is often some kind of diagnostic feature in the engine bay. For example, Mazda puts a blue two pin connector similar to that one in the engine bay with GND and battery +12V (shown below) to be used for powering equipment like a timing light since the battery is in the trunk on the Miata. I'm going to guess it's something along those lines.
    2ChbJ0TM6RBBlxGa89W6VwdUdtQXiQMVBHXtMveVzxHFbNFBZ3Zm31K8IO4TX5Sx2zt6uTdQh9SyEzHJBS3ShI7ZUfzW7ir0.jpg
    Sound is broken on my PC for a bit but I'll try to listen to the video soon.

Street Build 1K  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    ErikTande likes this.
  3. GSXbooster

GSXbooster Supporting Member

Joined Jun 3, 2003
    Centennial, Colorado
    Leave that blue connector alone! I think it is some sort of diagnostic plug. I had removed mine from my 1998 GSX years ago when I had pulled my engine out for a rebuild. The result was that it was only firing on 2 pistons (1 and 4) and couldn't figure out why. Tried everything to fix it and only when I reconnected/resoldered that plug back on did it fix it!

Road Race Build 2K  8

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    ErikTande likes this.
  4. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I believe one is to jump the fuel pump (black) & the other is for bypassing the idle control (blue) for setting idle. Both for diagnostics with the OEM ECU.

ErikTande likes this.
  5. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Thanks everyone! I just needed to make sure they weren't supposed to be connected anywhere.

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

4K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  6. miguelmcv

miguelmcv Supporting Member

Joined May 3, 2009
    Fresno, California
    One connector is for the fuel pump and the other is for the timing.

Street Build 847  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
    ErikTande likes this.