The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G weird noise from valve cover/connector identify

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
What's this connector? blue and black above the heater hoses on the firewall.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

also, it sounds like there is a socket in my valve cover. i'll pop it off later tonight.

I don't recall seeing a blue connector on the firewall in my 1998, and I've had the engine out a few times recently, but there are quite a few unused connectors on mine that are taped or zip tied to the harness from the factory. The only items mounted to the firewall in that location are the various emissions solenoids, the injector resistor pack, and the cruise control unit. In my experience with other platforms, a blue connector is often some kind of diagnostic feature in the engine bay. For example, Mazda puts a blue two pin connector similar to that one in the engine bay with GND and battery +12V (shown below) to be used for powering equipment like a timing light since the battery is in the trunk on the Miata. I'm going to guess it's something along those lines.

Sound is broken on my PC for a bit but I'll try to listen to the video soon.

Leave that blue connector alone! I think it is some sort of diagnostic plug. I had removed mine from my 1998 GSX years ago when I had pulled my engine out for a rebuild. The result was that it was only firing on 2 pistons (1 and 4) and couldn't figure out why. Tried everything to fix it and only when I reconnected/resoldered that plug back on did it fix it!

I believe one is to jump the fuel pump (black) & the other is for bypassing the idle control (blue) for setting idle. Both for diagnostics with the OEM ECU.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back