The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Weird noise by drivers side front wheel well

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i've heard that before but i cant remember
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
it is.
With the hood popped does it sound like its coming from the engine or transmission?

You might wanna get a mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight, itll cost you like $4 and make it way easier to track down noises
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63691.html

is yo car AT or MT?

does the sound go away when you press the clutch pedal?

how about if you rev the engine up a couple times, does that make it go away?

i think i remember what it sounds like.
My brother had a 3g with a 3.0L 6g74. It would make a sound like that when it was cold. If the engine was reved up a few times or idled for a few mins the sound went away. It took me forever to figure it out what it was. It was the timing tensioner.
you know how a clutch that needs to be bled, will stiffen up if you pump the shit out of the pedal? well the same basic thing was happening with the timing tensioner, once the engine was rev'd it pumped up the tensioner and it stiffened up

i cant say thats for sure what it is. get a stethoscope from harbor freight so you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from

Other option would be a worn throwout bearing. After my car sat for a whole winter (and the fact it's a cheap bearing, probably) the TOB would make some horrendous noises and I was sure it was going to grenade. Then after it warmed up, no more noises. When it's cold it'll make noise for about 1 min, then stops and no mechanical issues.

Granted mine is a 4g63, but same concept.

Also, doesn't the 420a trans ( can't recall the model#, g350 or something...?) Have issues with the 5th gear nut loosening up? I thought I read somewhere that happens occasionally.. might pull the outer cover off and check if anything on the cluster is loose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back