The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Weird noise coming from the driver and passenger side?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g420aeclipse

Proven Member
Jan 3, 2016
houston, Texas
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
There's this noise that gets loud every time i accelerate more so i have to go slow to unable to hear it. it's only the front not the rear since i replace the rack and pinion, the axles which has abs i don't know if that matters, the rotors, and the brake pads. i replace the brake pads first then the rotors since i need it but i didnt hear noise until i replace the rotors, the axle, or rack the pinion. What could it be?

Last edited:
It's Possible the callipers are sticking due to the sliders seizing up,
Did you re-grease?
When you replaced the brakes did you check to see if there was pitting on the bolts?

Any abnormal brake pad wear?

If these checked out okay than see if the pistons leaking.

There is a rubber seal that is tapered which helps back off the piston ( very small movement but enough to stop the pads from rubbing) after your off the brakes.
This is what id check out first before replacing anything further

Edit: They sell rebuild kits for your callipers but if the pistons pitted I'd just replace the calliper as a whole
I acually have a rebuild kit in my car if my front piston seals ever go or the bolts get rusty

There's this noise that gets loud every time i accelerate more so i have to go slow to unable to hear it. it's only the front not the rear since i replace the rack and pinion, the axles which has abs i don't know if that matters, the rotors, and the brake pads. i replace the brake pads first then the rotors since i need it but i didnt hear noise until i replace the rotors, the axle, or rack the pinion. What could it be?
I made a video if it helps.

I made a video if it helps.
That noise does sound wierd it's kinda like a grinding sound?

I suspepect siezed sliders in the calliper(bolts) . Take the front tires off and inspect your brakes
And report back , I'd even just spin the rotor and see if you hear it.

Another possibility Is the brake shield rubbing on the wheel hub

Report back when you inspect the above

Does the wheel feel hotter to the touch than the other wheels after drivin? If you remove the wheel do you see any metal flakes or places that are shinier than others as if it were making contact? My original guess was a wheel bearing but that sounds too high-pitched to be one

Well I picked up the car and I accelerated and there was no noise. I guess it only does it when it's on ground. I forgot to mention that my tranny has been messed up cause I been hearing a noise I believe it's the metal particles hitting but that's been doing that when I first got the car. the brake noise or tranny or the axle noise it started when I got into an accident when axle pop off because one of the nut of the ball joints pop off and the control arm hit the axle and made it pop off. Idk when that happen it messed up my tranny more

I would make a video about the noise when the metal particles which I believe is the particles or something that is hitting

We'll if what you say is true than drop the transmission and rebuild it and or figure out what broke inside , metal particles in gear oil are very serious.
If you keep driveing it you will destroy the transmission in no time

Did you see the metal particles? Or is this a therory?

I would atleast look into a rebuild Or buy a used one
My transmisssion (auto) made some funky noises when my kickdown band cracked , I even thought it was brakes at first ,than an axle than power steering LOL
Ended up droping the pan to find this

Edit:
Have you checked your suspension?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

So this is the noise it makes when the metal particles are hitting or whatever it is. usually this only does it when it's on cold start but now it starts doing when the car is warm sometimes. Anyways i'm putting a used transmission i just wanted to know what that noise is.

Sounds like your clutch or tob is toast! How does the car shift? Does it grind at all or feel like it slips?
No but sometimes when I put it in reverse it grinds so I retake it out and put back in. The noise only does it when it's on idle sometimes when I'm in the streets it doesn't do it. It's weird sometimes it just comes random but I know it does it more when it's on cold start.

I wonder if it's your throw out bearning ? Does the noise change with the clutch in or out?
No not really it shifts fine with no noise but like i said it only does it when it's on cold start and random when its warm on idle. The only time it grinds when i put it on reverse sometimes it does grabs it and sometimes it doesn't it grab it it just grinds.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back