The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Vrsf piping, ETS core?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxracing4500

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 21, 2012
Europe
Just wondering if anyone has ever done this combo, if you have pics would be great! Only reason I ask is I could buy the vrsf for now and have fun with my 16g but eventually I am going with a Holset HX40. Not only that but ets wants $400 for piping alone.

Contact punishment-racing.com and see if you can order only the piping (with or without couplers)

If you go this route you will need:

---a good 90* reducer coupler to go from j-pipe to LICP (STM has a great but expensive one for this. it is 2" to 2.5" 90*, cost around $25 iirc) FWIW, both the j-pipe and 20g downfiring compressor cover have the same OD so both use this elbow perfectly.

---The remaining couplers can be made from a 2' long 2.5" dia silicone hose, for cheapest, or bought individually. I found that I needed longer coupler for the ones that connect to the end tanks of the FMIC (About 6+ inches each side). This is a non-issue if you reroute or remove the AC lines. I needed and kept my AC.

I would suggest deburring, and smoothing the edges of the PR piping.

Also, belt-sanding the flanges perfectly flat on the kit goes a long way with avoiding boost leaks.

If you use the OEM BOV, fill the greddy holes with alum. braze to further eliminate boost leaks. (maybe you can get away with silicone RTV, idk.)

To answer the original question, NO VRSF and ETS piping are not compatable/interchangeable. The end tanks hhave completely different pipe connection/routing, even though they bothe take the 'same path'. PR and ETS have the same connection points at the FMIC end tanks. I know because I have an ETS fmic with PR piping. Works perfect.

Just save your money and buy the full ETS kit. Call them directly and I bet they'll give an awesome price. Stop giving your money to vendors like VRSF who blatantly admit they hate DSM owners and our entire scene. Support the boys over at Extreme Turbo Systems for supporting us and not jumping ship to a different platform like BMWs and forsaking their roots, like the VRSF guys are doing! Plus, ETS makes a better product as far as piping and intercooler anyway.

Just save your money and buy the full ETS kit. Call them directly and I bet they'll give an awesome price. Stop giving your money to vendors like VRSF who blatantly admit they hate DSM owners and our entire scene. Support the boys over at Extreme Turbo Systems for supporting us and not jumping ship to a different platform like BMWs and forsaking their roots, like the VRSF guys are doing! Plus, ETS makes a better product as far as piping and intercooler anyway.
I love ETS kits but I never Heard VRSF say they hate DSM guys. Like other business they are moving on with there business and going where the money is.

They never said they hate DSM owners, don't lie about vendors. He said something true, that DSM owners are cheap bastards who would rather get a lower cost part than pay for quality. Yes there are plenty of people who build their car with quality in mind and spare no expense but there is no denying that DSMers are amongst the cheapest "tuners" out there.

nice alot of good info, I think I saw punishment racings kit listed under another name on ebay, im sure I could find the piping. As for VRSF, I liked their kit when I had my 2g rated at 1150 CFM but the 1g at 650cfm for the same price? no thanks!

That's because their 2G kit isn't theirs. It's an eBay/SSAC kit. The Punishment kit is also sold as the "CX Racing" kit for 1Gs, as well as "speed daddy" and various other ebay vendors.

I've got screenshots. Let me find them and post them. Exact words were "I hate DSM owners." and then went on to mention the cheapness.
that would be great.... As I sent and order kits from them for guys who dont have the money for ETS and FYI ETS Street kits flow 650CFM. I need to find were someone did a test and post the Punishment FMIC CFM Numbers and they were not 900ish. They were way under.

Found it. Hopefully this works.

Attachments

• dsmerhate.jpg
    dsmerhate.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 497
You could buy and ebay piping kit and modify it to save money and time over building allthe piping. On my old dsm I made a top to bottom flow with a spearco 221 core. I bought a 1 g piping kit for those eBay kits that have the long pipe going all the way back across the top of the core to the stock ic location. I had to make one cut to fit this kit to the core. I'm sure the side to side kits would fit with very little mods. My piping kit cost $112 with a tial style flange on it.

It's actually a great way to build an intercooler. The top/bottom arrangement makes for pretty short piping and the the top/bottom perform really well. Everything I've read shows them making much better use of the frontal area of the core. You can find the best turbo tech around from the guys running pro 5.0 and 10.5 street. They all seem to run top/bottom and its not for packaging reasons. I would be around 10 degrees above ambient after a pull on a 20g running 32 psi tapering down to 27 or so. My ets race kit does not do quite as well despite having a larger core.

I cannot believe a vendor would say that. Its horrible marketing and shows they really don't care if the dsm community knows what they think. Even if they do hate the dsm community they should keep it to themselves for the simple fact they sell us parts. I sell parts all the time and even though someone might annoy the crap out of me I still treat them with respect and do not tell them something that will push away a repeat buyer. Iv'e always supported VRSF and have used there IC on 4 different cars now. Wow. ETS it is for my next new core, ive always wanted one anyways just couldnt afford it till now.

To the OP just take some measurements and make your own piping. You can spend close to 200 with shipping to get the VRSF piping or make it yourself with 30 dollars worth of couplers and some pipe and that way us cheap dsmers don't have to support vendors who hate us ROFLLOL:hellyeah:

I think a lot of vendors don't like dsm'ers or get frustrated with them. I can understand though. Look at all the nice race parts buschur just made for 1g's. on the forums everyone is always like oh I want one right now. Ill take two. And then no one actually buys them when it's time to pay. The parts just sit. Just think how many tire kickers you get when you have nice parts for sale. Multiply that by a thousand for a vendor.That has to be frustrating and more importantly makes no business sense.

I understand the dsm point of view too. Some times it's hard to spend a lot of money on a car that is almost worthless.

We should feel lucky to have the parts we get. Dsm's have a decent following, but it's no fox mustang.

Stick to the vendors that support us, ETS, STM, magnus, buschur. Screw vrsf i had one of their kits and i had terrible iats. I run an ets now and it's much better. The piping should work with minor modification and i asked ETS and they said you could make it work but they couldn't be positive.

Ets pipes are nice and stainless. I like them better than the vrsf pos aluminum anodized silver piping made of Chinese materials. It works for a budget tho.

We ARE the dsm community......like it or not its true. Hearing what vrsf said shouldnt shock or surprise anybody. What was said is a fact right now. Shep did the same thing, AMS did the same thing. 1 by 1 companies are dropping dsm's. If you want to change it simply stop being cheap. I find it quite funny because vrsf already has pretty much the cheapest fmic kit I have seen and if he doesnt even want to sell them anymore cause people haggle him over price that is just sad and its our fault not his.

We ARE the dsm community......like it or not its true. Hearing what vrsf said shouldnt shock or surprise anybody. What was said is a fact right now. Shep did the same thing, AMS did the same thing. 1 by 1 companies are dropping dsm's. If you want to change it simply stop being cheap. I find it quite funny because vrsf already has pretty much the cheapest fmic kit I have seen and if he doesnt even want to sell them anymore cause people haggle him over price that is just sad and its our fault not his.

I agree X 1000.

Some people shouldn't be into modding cars. Unfortunately we get stuck with them.

I don't blame VRSF. They already sell a "nice" cheap product and they still feel the wrath of the loser DSM consumer. :banghead:

Yea I honestly don't blame VRSF either. Yes it was unprofessional but its not like he was lying. DSM'ers tend to be cheap bastards. There is a reason so many vendors leave the platform. People have this belief that the vendors owe us something. If you don't like them or their products then don't buy their shit, but with that being said don't complain when they stop making products for DSM's all together

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back