The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

VRSF FMIC install issues, sort of.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airsign89

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2011
troy, Michigan
So I bought the newest generation of VRSF short route intercoolers and knew in advance that it might be a long install, anyways I started by taking off the fogs, then the front wheel-well, splash guard things, then onto the front bumper with very few problems. The problems didn't really start even when taking out sections of my radiator support, or even parts of my fog light assembly support brackets (which were completely in the way), nor even when I started to fit the IC by myself, the main problem occurred when I finally had it fitted, as far back as i could and had the two-bought at lowes- bolts fitting the IC and the frame, it happened when I found that the "cold" side of the intercooler wasn't nearly past the edge of the radiator. I didn't find this out till after I had fitted the TB elbow and gotten the BOV adaptor snugly on. Here is a picture that probably will not help and it looks as if the IC is not on straight, but it is, and yeah, that is an oil-pit I'm working above, it does help. Any body else with a 97 and up talon awd tsi have a similar problem or did I do something wrong. Thanks in advance. Matt
showimage.php

081611210528 - Mounted...finally. DSMtuners Gallery

Mine just barely clears the radiator. But I have one of the OOOOLD ones. When I ordered they were still selling only on ebay under the name ssautochrome. But I didn't have any of the fitment issues reported with the newer ones, except the j-pipe flange wasn't true. I eventually ditched that j-pipe and got one from punishment racing.

also if this is the wrong forum to post this in, I am sorry in advance, I am still a "newbie".:)

boostinsideways: I have no idea what the differences are, Im not even sure many people do, but do you think that if I grinded out the side of the radiator edge(there seems to be enough room) that I could just slip the couple over? Thanks for the quick reply.

There aren't really any differences in design. I think the blow off valve flange is higher up on the older ones. But the issue with the newer ones is quality. Bolts don't fit, crap tastic flanges on the j-pipe and elbow, etc.

What I had to do is take the radiator out. Simple, unhook the electrical connectors on either side, screw the stop-####, let it drain. Remove hoses from water neck. Remove 4 bracket bolts and pull straight up.

The I got the coupler seated on the cold side pipe and just bent the the 1/16th of an inch or so fins on the passenger side of the the radiator in a bit. The little pieces on the edge that serve no purpose? I also tried to push the radiator a bit towards the driver side when I was putting the brackets back on.

yeah that makes more sense than what i was thinking, I also have been thinking of doing a mishimoto radiator and slim fan, so maybe its time and my turbo is off so all the coolant is out and I could do this easily...again thanks for the quick reply.

oh and as far as your question about the little piece on the side, I will post a pic in the afternoon when I get off work.

I installed my vrsf with a buddy and it wasnt that bad. We had to drill holes on the bracket for the intercooler and went and bought bolts at lowes. Mines a little crooked. Be prepared to cutt the shitt out of your rare bumper. I know I cried a little bit.

I installed two VRSF FMICs (The old 1st one and newest one) and never had to remove my radiator to fit the IC pipe thru the section I had to cut out. But I put the coupler on the IC before putting it on (makes it easier IMO).

I can take some pics of my bumper tomorrow. I have a 97 bumper that goes on the car for track days. I had to cut about 2-2.5 inches off from each corner all the way around the bottom. Top edge cleared fine. Side holes didn't need to be trimmed.

I kind of slipped on one of the bumps in the middle but it was all good. The 97 bumper I have is a bit beaten up and has some rips. Was never show quality.

If your bumper is intact and actually matches the color of your car, I would trace the lines very carefully, and use a dremel or something else to make clean cuts. I was just scoring mine with a rather sharp hobby knife, worked great except for when my hand slipped in the worst possible part. (Little bumps in the middle)

Edit:

Love how the replies are talon guys :D

Other the support just the driver's side splash guard (engine one) for the other piping but I removed the other slash guards since I put a 2GB Eclipse bumper on my Talon. Like Boostin stated use a dremel (with tape & straight edge) and take your time. I used the grinder (Same wheel I used to cut the support) because I lazy to get my dremel out but it turned out pretty good.

Talon Power :hellyeah:

You don't have to cut anything but the fog light housings and a small area in the radiator support. Unless your talking about the bumper cover / crash bar. I didn't cut my crash bar, I just didn't put it back on. I am not even sure if its possible to cut the crash bar and make it fit.

Forgot about those splash shields.. I never had those in the first place.

I tossed my crash bar a while back so never had to trim it, also.

yeah I think I'm gonna trash my crash bar, but I'd love to keep some of my front bumper...well it doesn't really matter, does it matter if you also trash the engine splash guard?

oh and thanks for the replies.

alright, last question, if I don't replace my radiator, will I be alright with just a lower temp thermostat and water-wetter as far as water temps go? thanks guys, Im just heading off to work so I'll probably not answer until noon or so tomorrow. thanks again.

boostinsideways: I just saw your post, and yeah I really don't want to modify the "stock" look, so yeah thats what I'm thinking I'll do.

im pretty sure the eclipse and talons have the same radiator and support ect.....heres how i got mines on. it is a pain in the a$$ but its worth the work. since you got the fmic mounted ill skip to the issue. use the clamp and clamp the hell out of the coupler on the fmic going through the radiator support. the coupler is long enough so it should grab both the ic pipe and the fmic itself. make sure you have more of the coupler going towards the fmic. mines leak where the fmic pipe was going to the intake manifold. i had a hard time cutting the radiator support where the fmic goes into. i used my saw and dremel to cut a triangle where the fmic went. for the fog light holes go to home depot and get longer ones. it should line up the fmic. the fmic also has flange that can be move left to right. if your hitting the radiator then move it to the left a little bit. one bad experience i had was the elbow too. go buy a new gasket and some rtv. when you get to the tb elbow, the bottom right nut will be the worst one to lock down. i took off the fuel line going into the fuel rail,2 bolts. move that and the connector out of the way. use some rtv on the tb elbow with the new gasket and use a open end wrench and take your time turning it 1 inch at a time LOL. after that everything comes into play. well worth the money for the fmic. for the bov part i had it cut off and welded a hks flange on it. do a boost leak test and take her for a spin. im sure you'll love it. hope this helps

Tonyspyder: I was literally just grabbing my work keys and heading off and saw your post, thanks for the overview of the whole process, I've just found that there are very few 2G DSM installation guides and everything helps me, Im in the middle and want it done! Thanks again, work time...BOOOOOOO

I am running a stock radiator, stock t-stat, and used to have AC. I have not had any issues with overheating. Just make sure your alternator/water pump belt is nice and tight.

And yeah water wetter is great, I use that or this other stuff that have at walmart every time I flush my radiator.

Boostinsideways and TCJTalon and everybody else, thanks again for the help. I just got off work so I'm gonna take a quick nap and then get over to the garage my cars at and get to it. After reading all of this I think I know what my problem is, if not ill definitely post some pics.

Well I finally got it mounted, I did have to cut part of the radiator shroud, do alot of clipping on the front bumper and swear at my battery operated drill(for those thinking of doing this, get proper air tools or atleast tool meant for the task) when it ran out of juice. heres a pic:
081711230112 - The latest 2gb VRSF FMIC DSMtuners Gallery Oh and I still need to completely fasten the front bumper, I just left to come home and eat, maybe take a nap and then go to work. Thanks everybody for the help.

Looks like you got it taken car of. I have some pics if you need them.

Anyways I measured it, there is an approximatly 4.5 gap between the inside edge of the mouth opening and the inside edge of the of the bumper. It tapers to about 3.5" inches in the middle. You don't need to cut nearly as much material off in the middle.

Boostinsideways, I haven't been measuring very many of my cuts, but I also have started to think that with each unique car there are different fitments and really ways of doing it. I did eventually (as you might be able to see in my 2nd picture) cut my radiator shroud and after that was done I just made tiny little cuts to my radiator support that would allow my I/C to pass through more easily. But really, I didn't think of this as a beginner's task when I went in, but its ALWAYS nice to have the pro's help out...thanks man.

Well here are a few pics showing basically what I am talking about.

Please excuse the quality of the 2gb talon bumper. It was a junkyard find and I use when I go to the road course or rally park.

Attachments

• eclipse 95 gst 026.jpg
    eclipse 95 gst 026.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 186
  • eclipse 95 gst 027.jpg
    eclipse 95 gst 027.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 199
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back