The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G VRSF J Pipe Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevyDSM

Proven Member
Apr 16, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
My Front mount came today and I'm having a hard time installing the j pipe. The left screw goes in just fine. However the right screw is a pain in the ass. You can't fit a single tool inside to get it tight or even to thread in. Yes I know the picture was taken with the wrong bolts but now I'm using the old J pipe bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_20170420_173336.jpg
    IMG_20170420_173336.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 130
Get allen head bolts. They will be much friendlier :) With the VRSF J-pipe you have to start one of them first, the inside one.

Ps. Same thing on TPS screws. :)

Recheck the tightness after a heat cycle or two. Shud be good to go then but check them periodically. :thumb:

Show me
I'm using the old Allen head bolts I was having trouble getting off.
Show me a picture. I have a VRSF kit. But I am now HX40. Started out with that setup tho.

Ok. I had to hold the j-pipe out as far as possible then engage a thread and keep threading it down by hand if possible. Use anti-sieze. It helps going in and back out. Do u need to dimpel the tube at the flandge just a tweak? Gotta MAKE things work some times but its a good kit, I still run it.

Yep I see...start the other allen head bolt first or use THAT bolt on the inside and hold the pipe out so the threads just catch on it and keep threading in as far as possible by hand then ya gotta sacrifice a pawn shop allen key and shorten it some so you can tighten it. I make A LOT of "custom" tools just for my DSM. :aha:

Hey sometimes you have to grind the allen bolt head down a bit to get it to go in.

Thats the trick!!! I wonder why the hell they dont include a simple pc of paper saying that for customer freindliness :idontknow:

I use a hammer and a chisel on the edge of the bolt. Have to do it with the bottom right bolt on the tb elbow too.

Just use a cold chisel, and tap towards one of the points on the bolt head. Its pretty shitty way to do it, but no clearance to get a wrench on there in some cases.

An allen head and a Long ball end allen head socket works good too. Or long ball end t-handle if you can't get, or dont want to spend the cash on long ball end allen sockets. I know my snap-on set of long allen and long ball end allen was like 160$ or something... and that was on sale.

Yep, they're a PAIN in the ass. I got longer bolts and stacked a bunch of washers on mine which made it a little easier, but not much. The design of the jpipe makes the bolts want to go in cross threaded every time. Like others here have said, there's a few tricks that can help a little, but basically just be prepared to be frustrated every time you put it on. It should take about 3 minutes, it usually took me 15 to 20, swearing and getting pissed the whole time :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back