The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 VR4 Galant Tranmission ID

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjboehm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 18, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I recently purchase a vr4 galant transmission. I looked up the number on the transmission it is w5m332nqbm lc4391 but the vin is this ja3cx56u2mz010335, What i have read is that it is a 5/92 or newer transmission from the transmission code but the vin says it is a 91. I am a little confused about this. Anyone have any idea? thanks in advanced.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
That is a little strange, but maybe not worth the effort trying to figure out the history of it all. The transmission for that VIN was originally a W5M33-2-NQBK. It would use the same transfer case as the W5M33-2-NQBM that you have pictured. I would assume that this was a replacement unit but how it received the VIN stamp in it is a bit unique. Maybe the dealer did it? Maybe they ordered a specific replacement unit for a specific vehicle and received that? I can't say that you'll be certain to ever find out.

You would have to open up the trans to confirm if you really wanted to look. It is an August 1990 build date for that VIN, which would be an early style gearset of the 3 versions that were used in USDM GVR4's. If it was a August 90 gearset, it would have a small diameter synchro 5th gearset which would be recognizable if you removed the 5th gear cover.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back