The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Very Weird Trans Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumpaumpalumpa

Proven Member
Jun 16, 2014
La Habra, California
So I got a weird one. I searched and all I could find was this with no resolution:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/welded-center-diff-now-hard-to-move-car-forward.328139/

Pretty much same thing as this guy.

I had a 5 speed 90 trans with 23 spline t case and 4 bolt rear. The only change I made is adding a welded center diff and putting in an early 92 trans. The welded diff was sent out from the 92 trans to Jack's. I don't have the 90 center in my 92.

Anyways the car will roll fine for about 5 feet then I hear some clicking under the car as it binds up, even in neutral. Feels like the e-brake is on. If I lift the car in neutral and one wheel comes up first, as the weight comes off that corner the wheel will start to spin releasing whatever built up stress there was. If you then rotate the wheel a couple times and drop the car back on the ground it is freed up and will roll a few feet again and lock up. Tires measure .050in diameter from front to rear. Not enough to cause this lockup.

Where the hell do I start?

Are you sure you don't have a 97-99 t case?
No. But everything worked with the open diff for 3 years and the VC was nice and tight when it came out.

Are 1G and Early 2G t-cases th esame ratio? 12 turns of the coupler to 1 turn of the output shaft? I know later 2g cases are 14 turns. This is tripping out everyone whos seen it so far . Any way to count teeth on front diff without pulling it apart or determine its ratio?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back