The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Vband problem. Solutions anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
Okay so I'm building a side exit exhaust for my Dsm86 turbo and of course it's a vband flange. I had to ding my pipe close to the flange to make clearance for the wastegate and then it kind of egg shaped it. So I'm TRYING to get it straightened back out because the flange isn't sitting flush and it's leaking exhaust. I can either hack it off, buy another flange and weld on (prefer not to), or fix this issue somehow.

Here's some pics to show ya what I mean.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

See the ring in the center? I'm wondering if I can grind that down some or will it leak? Or maybe grind it JUST enough on the side of the ring to make it sit flush, then maybe use some high temp silicone.

This is the tool I made to try and get it round again. It's pretty heavy and hammered it in the hole to get it round as possible.

The outside edge of the middle ring measures 2.505 on one side, and 2.497 on the other. Very small amount, but enough to where it won't sit flush. Ideas to fix this are very appreciated.

Well, I was gonna delete this thread but won't let me, so figured I'd post an update since the thread has to stay. Ugghhh...

So after banging the heck out of the tool I made (posted abpve) to round out the hole as much as possible, it still wasn't fitting. So today at work, I took a die grinder with a sanding disc and sanded a small amount at a time and then measured until all areas were at least 2.499 or less. As soon as I hit those numbers I quit.

Brought it home and it fits great. Now I just have to hope it's leak free. If it leaks at all, I'll be throwing in some high temp silicone. I'm sure that'll do the trick...if it even leaks to begin with. Now I just have to finish my exhaust. Thanks for all the advice ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back