The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Valve Seals Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUAN2333

Probationary Member
Apr 28, 2006
chicago, Illinois
I installed my second set of valve seals the brand was ferra 3 months ago and they started leaking again I had a head job about to years ago new valve new seals and crower
springs is anyone having problems with valve seals leaking all the time

Never heard of a valve seal problem WTF My buddy has a cam seal leak though. Make sure you tightened everything good.

Valve seal problems on higher mileage dsm's are comon. The rubber inner part of the seal gets hard from years of heat cycles and the seal is no longer sealing the oil out. A tell sign of this is when you leave from a stop and you see alot of smoke in your rear view. I have only replaced valve seals with oem mitsu ones "on stock motors" but they have always fixed this problem. Hope this helps some how

Whats the condition of the actual valve stem? If it is scored up for some reason then it could be tearing up your seals.

What is the condition of the valve stem tip that you have to push thru the seal during the install? Are there any sharp edges that could be cutting the seal when you push the stem thru and put the keepers on?

Are you using oil on the end of the stem when you push it thru the seal. You don't want a perfectly clean stem being forced thru dry rubber. It can cause damage.

What does your oil look like and how many miles on the motor? If you have small metal flakes in the oil it could be getting into the sealing surface and chewing it up.

Are you sure the seals are going on the top of the guides squarely and are not cocked slightly?

I have never had new valve stem seals leak like that, but I follow all the above very meticulously when I am doing any motor work.

Oh to answer your question (sorry :coy: ) I am using viton seals from RRE with no issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back