The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

valve seals? turbo seals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostified

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2011
Vienna, Missouri
Ok so my car doesn't smoke on cold start up. Or idle only after I let off from boosting. And its been getting worse. It will cloud the whole hwy.... Any ideas?

Sounds like the seals in the turbo if it is doing it after boosting and fogging up the road.

well dsm link said it was at 41 and I have 1050 cc FICs and they are at 102% duty cycle..... I quit driving it LOL

I also shoot oil out of my dipstick. and it comes out of the oil filler cap too. I tried crimping the dipstick tube but it didnt work much. and I put another gasket on the oil filler cap and it didnt help, a thrust plate wouldnt cause it to burn that oil though would it?

Last edited by a moderator:
a thrust plate wouldnt cause it to burn that oil though would it?
Most likely, considering the factory thrust system on a MHI turbo was designed for a target boost level of 12-18psi. Hell there are guys melting factory thrust plates as 22psi, I can imagine what yours looks like.

When the thrust plate fails, the collar digs deeply into the plate and eventually the wheels rub the housings. Under boost, there is a tremendous load pulling outward on the compressor wheel as it tries to draw in air. The more air it draws in and compresses, the higher the thrust and shaft loads.

I'm willing to bet your thrust plate is trashed and the turbo has a ton of in/out play. This movement has worn the compressor and turbine seals (which stay fixed in the housing) wafer-thin, allowing hot exhaust gases and boost pressure to enter the center housing, which is pressurizing the crankcase and blowing out your dipstick and filler cap.

If you remove the intake and find a massive amount of in/out play, it's pretty safe to say the turbo is junk. The money you'll spend to repair it would exceed what you'd spend on a good used replacement.

Try backing off the boost a bit, or switching to something that has a little better efficiency at higher boost levels if that's the boost level you're wanting to run. That 16G has to be pumping an insane amount of heat at anything above 25psi- I have no clue how you're not detonating your engine to hell unless you have an intercooler the size of a refrigerator.

well I took my intake off and there was oil sitting at the bottom of the intake housing... and there is alot of in out play. Im just gonna buy and FB red and move on LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back