The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

vaccume leak rebuilt engine,new hoses...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tronno

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2005
hagerstown, Maryland
First off,let me say that i just got my entire engine rebuilt. I got the head rebuilt at a macine shop and the bottom end was put together by me. Anyways, when i went to start the car the first time, the idle was very rough until the engine warmed up. When the engine warms up, the idle is steady but the boost guage is reading a 10-15 vaccume. When i rev it up and let it idle,it would drop to around 500rpms(My car idles at 1000) and then go back up.i have my bov recirculated so thats not the problem. And my a/f guage is reading rich constantly(it was like that before i did the rebuild). I can hear a hissing sound from the intake manifold,so i bought a stethoscope to pinpoint the sound. The hissing sound is def coming from the intake manifold,but i dont know what it means. I replaced the injector insulators,if that helps.Any suggestions welcomed.

You bought a stethoscope? Could've just used a peice of hose..
Have you built an intake leak tester? http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
Try that, and pressurize your intake, then you can use a little spray bottle of soap/water to pinpoint a leak(it will start bubbling).
Are you sure your not missing a vacuum hose off your intake mani, or didn't torque well enough the manifold/head?
The A/F gauge is just for a lightshow, narrowband o2 readings are not horribly accurate.

blackbyrd said:
You bought a stethoscope? Could've just used a peice of hose..
Have you built an intake leak tester? http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
Try that, and pressurize your intake, then you can use a little spray bottle of soap/water to pinpoint a leak(it will start bubbling).
Are you sure your not missing a vacuum hose off your intake mani, or didn't torque well enough the manifold/head?
The A/F gauge is just for a lightshow, narrowband o2 readings are not horribly accurate.

i did do a boost leak test but couldnt find the leak.i will have to pick up my air compressor from my nephews house tomorrow to do another test. btw,when i did the boost leak test,their was some air coming from underneath the valve cover.i blocked the pcv valve but still had air come through.i just got the entire engine rebuilt with new parts so i dont know if this is normal or not.

update. while i was driveing my car today, the cel came on. i went to advance auto parts and got the code P0170,fuel trim malfunction(bank1). i had the same problem before i rebuilt my engine.i had a lot of vacuume leaks,was running rich,and had a lot of idle problems before the rebuild. after the rebuild,i had the same problem. i was talking to a friend and he said it could be the o2 sensor or the computer.i bought a 95 eprom computer a while back and i replaced the o2 sensor before i did the rebuild and still,my a/f guage read rich all the way.i need this car to get me back and forth from school,work,and home.soo,any help would be appreciated.thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back