The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Usdm cam vs jdm cam

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolution2

Probationary Member
Aug 30, 2009
Canada, SK_Canada
After searching I cam up with nothing,

I am wondering why a EVO 2 intake cam is different than its 2G eclipe/talon counter part. A machine shop measured it all out and it does not correspond with specs giving for USDM cam.

Is the EVO intake came infact different and is there anywhere to find a oem replacement?

Yes, the evo cams are more agressive. If you need stock cams, I have a set I can sell. PM if interested.

why do you need proof you have proof, the machine shop said they are different and they should of been able to tell you if it was more aggressive than the stock one?

why do you need proof you have proof, the machine shop said they are different and they should of been able to tell you if it was more aggressive than the stock one?

Nooo like proof as in specs, and if there is anyway to source brand new oem rather than used as a last resort.

Yes, you can source them brand new directly form Mitsubishi by ordering cams for a 1g. The 1g did not originally have the same cams as the evos but over time the 1g cams were superseded by the evo cams in the parts catalog from Mitsubishi.

Much cheaper and more effective will be to move to upgraded cams, I'm not sure why you would put a lot of emphasis on original evo cams.

Thanks, I just came across this beautiful piece of information.

1988-1992 JDM Galant VR-4
MD128973 CAMSHAFT,EXHAUST
MD128974 CAMSHAFT,INLET

1st Gen DSM Turbo 5 speed AWD/FWD (90-94 Model year)
MD128974 CAMSHAFT,INLET Rep Part MD335754

EVO 1 (1993 model year)
MD193148 CAMSHAFT,EXHAUST
MD193147 CAMSHAFT,INLET

EVO 2 (1994 model year)
MD128974 CAMSHAFT,INLET

EVO 3 (1995 Model year)
MD335754 CAMSHAFT,INLET

2nd Gen (1995-96 1/2 only model year)
MD193148 CAMSHAFT,EXHAUST
MD193147 CAMSHAFT,INLET

The 1st gen DSM borrowed from the 88-92 JDM Galant VR-4
The EVO 2 borrowed from the 88-92 JDM Galant VR-4
The EVO 3 borrowed from the EVO 2 minus the intake cam.
The 95-96 1/2 2nd Gens borrowed from the discontinued parts bin of the EVO 1

After 1995 if you owed a 1st gen and went to the dealer to get a new intake cam it was superseded to an EVO 3 intake cam.

What does this mean?? If you want an EVO 3 exhaust cam go to any 90-94 DSM 5-speed turbo and get it.

If you want an EVO 3 intake cam go to a Mitsu dealer and ask for a 1st gen intake cam
Repl Part MD335754, remember no 1st gen came with one, it just became the replacement part number.

If you want an EVO 3 intake cam go to a Mitsu dealer and ask for a 1st gen intake cam
Repl Part MD335754, remember no 1st gen came with one, it just became the replacement part number. [/B]

What this tells you is that there is not enough of a difference between them to warrant any fuel/timing changes when swapping. So they must be pretty close in specs, therefore power output.
I would expect Evo2 to be very similar, therefore I wouldn't hesitate to run them as long as the cams themselves are in good shape with no worn lobes, rounding,etc.

I bought my first DSM about 2 months ago. It's not running yet due to building my first motor, but will soon be. So far I've recommended Delta to 7 people LOL.

Wonder if there would be a discount for 2 cores (4 cams) ;) - only wanting 2 grinded hehe

UH OH!!! Look who's around the boards now:thumb:. Yes, affordable is a more appropriate word.

Just checkin in to make sure everyone is happy customers, will make our big debut announcement spring time with our Custom Import Heads division of our shop. :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back