The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Turbo options for my car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srt4RacerDave

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2008
Strongsville, Ohio
I am looking to finally upgrade my turbo (after it's fixed mind you, see the transmission section..). My goals as far as horsepower go are 450-470 whp. I am looking for low VERY low 12's or high 11's as well. What am I looking for is a turbo obviously bigger then my 16g. I want a turbo that will bolt on to a stock manifold, as I already have my exhaust manifold and downpipe. The car will mostly be driven on the street, but will see some track use. I would like to avoid having to get an external wastegate, so if a turbo exists as said before that can come internally gated that would be even better. I say this because I am in college and on an extremely limited budget (haha aren't we all?). I believe I have all the supporting mods needed to reach the goal I want, except the bigger injectors and aFPR. Are there any turbos like this? The car won't be driven too much, no more then 5-10 miles day. Now if I can just figure out what's wrong with my damn car...

If you want to keep it bolt on internally gated you will need to consider a turbo of some sort with a bep or pte exhaust housing as the tdo5 20g will be a hair on the small side for your goals.

FP green sounds like a champ for your goals and has a dsm turbine side.

The FP green is actually one I've been looking at. Would it be worth it to just get the red, though? I know it's only about a 100$ difference. But if it's overkill, then so be it.

why not a Precision Turbo ball bearing 50 trim cheaper then the green and both have the same compressor

HX40 FTW! Cheap, easy, and fast!

My second choice would be a HTA turbo.

Red might be a tad bit lagier i have been told.
An fp green will surely net you your goals easily and pull harder than your average joe 50 trim, i mean the green IS a 50 trim style turbo, but better spool and more kick up top.
Plus you don't have to deal with trying to have to find a turbo, for example the holset, then looking for a dsm turbine housing to mate it to, and maybe a rebuild, i wouldn't trust just slapping a used turbo in just like that, and you have fp's great service and products.
Your call.

Well, everyone I hear from says that they die too easily. Maybe I'm just hearing from the wrong people, though.
A certain group of HX40's have a run bad turbines. No one can tell us which part numbers or build dates really have these issues, but they seem to be quite few and far between.

Aside from that, the only issues guys are having are oiling issues....and you can't blame that on the turbo. You can't tell me a turbo that was used on a truck making 30+psi for 200k+ miles and has zero shaft play would last only 500 miles on our cars before some type of failure.

Bottom line- anyone who is destroying a Holset on a DSM has not checked their incoming oil pressure.

My goals as far as horsepower go are 450-470 whp. I am looking for low VERY low 12's or high 11's as well. What am I looking for is a turbo obviously bigger then my 16g. I want a turbo that will bolt on to a stock manifold, as I already have my exhaust manifold and downpipe.
Get a 7 blade HX-35 with a BEP bolt-on housing. I got a rebuilt one plus a new SS BEP housing for $665 total.

The reason I say 7 blade is for the potential upgrade to a T3 & ext WG in the future to get an additional ~100whp. This is for a year or two from now when 450whp doesn't feel as fast anymore. :D

The FP green is actually one I've been looking at. Would it be worth it to just get the red, though? I know it's only about a 100$ difference. But if it's overkill, then so be it.

If you're looking into a 1200 turbo, you might as well look into the BB fp variants. They are going to give you much better spool and better airflow than their journal bearing counterparts.

Oh, and PTE copies FP wheel aero

And sells it for less:)

Td05h anything is out. That's not a good recommendation.

For easy bolton:
Hx35
Scm6052 (DONOT get the 6031 or 5031)
FP3052
S256
Td06h 20g

OK. I'm sure PTE and FP will be going to court soon :rolleyes:. In the mean time, you're in the habit of not giving any proof for your bogus claims. But have plenty of opinion to go around.

What a fVcking stupid POV. You ask for one to take caliper measurements for 2 aspects, then spout your bs about understanding fluid dynamics for a SMIM upgrade from DVDT. . . Where is your head right now? what ARE you thinking? Don't misquote RIGHT AFTER the post. . .

Where is the case? What is the number? Since FP has blessed you with such knowledge, show us the difference other than 2 specs of a multiblade tubomachinery mechanism.

I have the Green and I enjoy it thouroughly. I am on a real conservative tune and 22 psi and am making about 365 whp. On E85 its a whole nother story! I was making 415 at the same boost level just adding some timing.

I can't emphasize more that I need a bolt on turbo. I don't have the money to replace everything else. So, you guys think the green would be my best bet? My goal is to reach 450-475 whp, pretty much with the mods I have now. The turbo will be going with new injectors, and a aFPR. Besides that, I'd like to see hp marks in the 400's with just this new turbo. I think I have all my other bases covered. I know you guys will tell me that the apexi is no good and I need DSM Link, but that is just not an option for me right now. Going through a big rough patch in life. So, your recommending anything with a bigger housing then the tdo5?

Yes. I personally recommend the bolton hx35. It is the most affordable. All the options that fit your requisite (these are all good options too) are the s256, fp3052, fpgreen, scm6052 (don't get the 6031 or an t31 wheel with the pte bolton housing to insure you see your goal), etc.

The fpgreen has the td05h turbine housing (7cm^2) but has the bigger td06h turbine wheel. This is a good enough turbine housing/wheel combo for your goal. But yes, steer clear from the td05h turbine wheel in the td05h turbine housing or the t31 turbine wheel in the pte bolton housing. . . These make it excedingly difficult to see the level you wish to achieve.

I would encourage you to call FP and ask them to make you an HTA Green for a dsm....A birdy in the window told me that FP is planning to release a new dsm green with the HTA76 wheel. That should be one badass turbo, it should spool up faster then the current green and make more power. ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back