The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Turbo Gurus Please Chime in, looking for opinion on Hybrid Turbo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowgsr

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2007
hamilton, ON_Canada
goals.. 425awhp stock block 4g63 6bolt. Quick spool, dont want a 600hp+ turbo.

Pics/Specs.

The one thing about looking at 400whp+ applications is the fact that sometimes some turbo dealers don't match the right turbine wheel with the 60-1 compressor wheel. They use a turbine wheel that is good to about 380whp, but loses efficiency and gains a lot of heat. Most also put the compressor wheel in a larger Compressor cover, mainly for looks, but no better change in efficiency, and it requires you to notch the block. So, with the help of Garrett, I came up with a better solution:

Allow me to introduce to you, the SILVER SURFER.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is a T3/T04B 60-1 compressor wheel. The original 60-1 18 years ago was made for the Rolls-Royce Phantom. This T04bB cover was ported and honed to accept this wheel again without sacrificing top end. The 60-1 is actually good to about 530whp, not the 575whp. This is in a polished aluminum compressor cover which doesn't require you to notch the block to save room.

Here's the exhaust housing:

This is a stainless steel polished exhaust housing. It doesn't rust. In fact, it actually turns gold over time. This houses a P-Trim wheel, capable of over 600whp (Same one used in the T3/T67), but housed in a .58A/R. The P-Trim is capable of using more flow with less turbine energy, than the stage III that is typical.

P-trim is on the left - Stage III is on the right)

The housing can work with both 5 bolt exhaust downpipes or 4 bolt exhaust downpipes.

The last one this was used was on a B18c1 GS-R motor with 9.0:1 compression pistons and Eagle rods made 389whp@14psi with this turbo, and was able to reach full pressure by 4200rpms.

This Turbo is $870 shipped and comes with the oil feed fitting

Are you attempting to sell/advertise these, because I do not believe you are a vendor here.

Looks like a nice high-flowing package setup however.

no im not, i copied and pasted that from a vendor who was trying to sell it to me.. im an electrician not a parts vendor, sorry for any confusion.

i can take the price out if you want? but it gives people an idea if its a good value or not.

That seems like a great deal if you ask me. I'd jump on it if I were you.

Jerry

Thanks, i believe its what i plan to purchase in a few days.

I just bought a ACT 2500 clutch kit with the 6puck sprung disc, as well as a street lite ACT flywheel, then im going to do every bit of preventative mainteance on the car since i dont know the exact history of the engine.

unfortunatly i am not a fan of overpriced (IMO) FP stuff,

Then you should take this unknown junk turbo, slap it on your car, go do some of your own independant testing, and come back with some results. We really don't care how this turbo performs on a Honda motor. Last time I checked, we all have 4G63 motors.

FP is higher priced than most generic vendors because they actually R&D their products, as well as do a TON of testing, and actually post their results. Any other vendors do that? Anybody else out there actually CREATING new turbos for the DSM market? Nope. Everybody else is just reselling turbos, slapping this housing on that wheel, etc with absolutely NO real world testing. Just "this turbo SHOULD spool at this rpm and SHOULD make this much HP".

FP will always get my business.

a gt3076r would be just beautifully for what your looking for!, or even a gt3267 for a little bit
more power both turbos provide great spooling, and the 32 has a divided turbine which is also good for quick spooling , both by gerrett my fav :thumb: :dsm:

That turbo looks quite similar to a Bullseye T04B 60-1 that I once owned:

I ended up selling it before I ever bolted it onto a car....still curious as to how this unit would've performed!

That turbo looks quite similar to a Bullseye T04B 60-1 that I once owned:

Thanks guys, It probably is similar to that turbo above, but i do know its a one off custom turbo.

As to the comment on FP, is really irrelevant to this thread since it has nothing to do with anything that is in discussion here! Im sure there not bad turbo's, im just not a fan of their overpriced stuff. All it seems you are doing is backing them up, and that you have limited knowledge on turbo spec's or else im sure you would have given some reasoning for your theory as to why the turbo i posted is 'junk', and it really isnt unknown at all, all the spec's are clearly listed there, im just asking for help on how to understand them, please take your ignorant comments elsewhere unless you have something useful to add to this discussion.

As far as the vendor selling the turbo, he has built some custom turbo's for DSM's before, and he also sells many other turbo's that he could have recommended if he really didnt think this was an outstanding turbo for my goals.

Heres a quote and a link.. the guy has been dealing with turbo's since before i knew what they were, so i highly doubt he would put together a 'junk' turbo. I used to own a honda and the guys over on HT have been more then helpful with regards to my DSM questions, not one has mentioned 'crankwalk' or anything.. theres smart guys over there, here as well just this board gets less traffic it seems.

Thanks everyone, i will be picking this up shortly, and in a few months i will get you guys some results!! Im positive the feedback will be good

Honda-Tech.com: Forced Induction: The Shodan's OTHER Boost project

TheShodan said:
I was actually really proud of this particular turbo build before the holiday season. It was a unique setup that started off as a rebuild from a really screwed up Precision turbo to something that wasn't even imagined. It just took off on its own. Thanks to Jefferino for letting me make this. If I should take this off, let me know, and I'll keep off the REAL specifications for Jefferino to enjoy in privacy. This took about 5 weeks, but it was worth it.

Compressor .60A/R
Exhaust Housing: .63A/R SVO Ford Style 5 bolt.

What it's going on

The Motor - Fully Built 4G63T Evo I motor

Compressor wheel GT40 Based on the SC61:

Inducer Size: 2.416 inch = 61.3664 millimeter
Exducer Size: 3.227 inch = 81.9658 millimeter
Trim size: 56

(This is the same compressor wheel that is used to make the SC61/GT35R/GT3561S and similar types from several other companies.)

Comments

This one was tricky, for the compressor housing and internal assembly that was given to me was not quite balanced to begin with for the GT40 Compressor wheel, so even when I finished, it seemed to be about .025 off, and you can hear it make contact with the compressor wheel. this may have been one of the causes of its demise the first time. I also replaced the compressor housing with better fitting hardware that didn't seem to strip in the middle as the orginal hardware did. I also machined the brackets a bit so that there wasn't any fuss with rotating the compressor housing when needed. The compressor housing was rehoned and polished from the back to smoothen out the intake flow of the turbo.

Exhaust side

Exhaust Wheel Inducer: XXXXXXXXXXXX (Classified)
Exhaust Wheel Exducer: XXXXXXXXXXX (Classified)
Trim size : (Classified)

Comments

In this instance, Normally a .58 or .68A/R would be used on a T4 flanged system for the exhaust wheel, But I felt that for the 4G63 build that Jefferino is going to make, I could squeeze the same custom Trim inside the .63 T3 flanged setup, (to save some cost) and clip the wheel about 2 degrees, and sharpen the blades, to be a bit more responsive. (I actually cut myself messin' around with it :rolleyes: .)

Boost doesn't come on too quick, but is good for at least another 65whp (or over 102cfm) over the old school T351 exhaust wheel (The T351 wheel was discontinued by Garrett about 2.5 years ago, and Precision used to use them.) This is a clipped GTS-Trim based wheel, VERY close to a GTQ, but didn't have enough room in the exhaust housing. My associate Dave did the Port job of the exhaust housing to fit.

The exhaust wheel exducer is actually as large in size as the compressor wheel inducer, which will flow match well with 2.0+ litre with the 88mm stroke of 4G63 Turbo motor with slightly higher compression. As long as Jefferino makes sure to have the head flow a bit better (like a Honda VTEC head or similar), have it cleaned up with new retainers, a slight port, and a Magnus Intake Manifold, and a slightly higher redline (7800rpms should do it) this can easily reach over 660whp with this turbo. The only thing that would hurt flow from a turbo standpoint would be the E-Cover. An S-Cover would be in order.

This to me is what turbos are all about. Not just the 1320ft or the whp numbers and internet racing, but the actual design, specification and assembly of cool parts, and making sure that they perform to their maximum. I just want to knock out the competition in my own little way..... Except for you, Ken... You know you my boy!! :thumbup: :p ;)

Modified by TheShodan at 2:23 PM 12/20/2005

Modified by TheShodan at 8:27 PM 12/22/2005

Thanks everyone!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back