The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

tuning via pocketlogger and safcII

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarretGST

Probationary Member
Feb 17, 2004
Carol Stream, Illinois
heres my problems i checked the diagnostic via the logger and pulled a map sensor code (p0105) and a turbocharger wastegate code...not sure wat to do to fix these two problems....and what i really need to do is tune my car to pass emissions, i've read articles everywhere but am unclear on how to tune low throttle and such....and would like to get a better idea on how to tune in general using this combo i have ..........wishing i would have gotten dsmlink :( o well eventually i'll sell these two and pick on up........ thanks for the help

GarretGST said:
heres my problems i checked the diagnostic via the logger and pulled a map sensor code (p0105) and a turbocharger wastegate code...not sure wat to do to fix these
Sorry, I've never had those codes and not sure what the fixes for them would be. Maybe search on here or google, or maybe you just need a new map sensor?

GarretGST said:
two problems....and what i really need to do is tune my car to pass emissions
What kind of emissions do you need to pass? Is it just that the shop hooks up their own obdII code reader, checks to see if you have any codes. No codes, you pass. Or do they put your car on the dyno and sniff the gases coming out of the tailpipe? The dyno test is harder to pass, especially if you don't have a cat. If you are just checking for codes, then you can probably clear them with the logger you have, and hope that they don't happen again for the 15mins they are inspecting your car.

GarretGST said:
i've read articles everywhere but am unclear on how to tune low throttle and such....and would like to get a better idea on how to tune in general using this combo i have .
Tuning the low settings are easy. (Do you have stock injectors or upgraded ones?) If you have stock injectors, you could/should pretty much leave the hi and lows at zero.

Tuning Low Settings.
Hook up the pocketlogger, and use the "View" setting to look at short term fuel trims, and long term fuel trims. The main goal is to get the LTFT to as close as zero as possible, plus or minus 1 or 2 percent. So say at idle, your LTFT is -5%, then the ecu is having to remove 5% of fuel using the trims to reach its ideal mixture. At this rpm point on the safc, you'll want to move the setting down 5%, so say it's at -20% on the safc, you'll want to move it down to -25%. The short term fuel trims are a reflection of what's happening instantly, and their values are what the LTFT will eventually try to reach over time. The LTFT have different values as you reach different speeds, so don't just do it for idle, do it throughout the entire rpm range.

Also check out more info at this tuning guide:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111005

yes i have to do a dyno test GRRRR.....i do not yet have injectors, but i do have a walbro 255... my car runs really rich, i can smell the unburnt fuel almost all the time, i really want to be able to pass by the end of the month. i am going to try to do what you said once i get home...thanks for the info, if anybody knows about the codes let me know thanks again for all your help

GarretGST said:
yes i have to do a dyno test GRRRR.....i do not yet have injectors, but i do have a walbro 255... my car runs really rich, i can smell the unburnt fuel almost all the time, i really want to be able to pass by the end of the month.

That sucks about the emissions dyno. :( I assume you're running a test pipe now, if you can smell unburnt gas out the back. Are you sure it's unburnt gas, my car stinks when running a testpipe.

You NEED to get a cat in there someway if you want to have any chance of passing a dyno tailpipe emissions, in my opinion. I have a 3" cat I can swap in for my test pipe when it comes inspection time. So (1) get a cat in there. (2) Since you have stock injecotrs, then playing with the fuel control really won't do much. The ecu will be in closed loop the whole time, meaning that it will be adjusting fuel trims despite if you lean it out on the safc. So you can leave the low settings pretty much at "0". The best thing to do is to make sure your front o2 sensor is working; that on the logger it cycles from low to high to low to high... If you had a bad front o2 sensor, you would run pig rich all the time. Good luck, hope you can pass!!!

my ltft doesnt seem to change, how long does it take to see it change after tuning? i tuned my car to my stft since that is more easily noticed

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back