The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Troubleshooting Opinions and Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spadepro22

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Seneca, South_Carolina
Well as some know from all my theads that Ive been having problems with my car, so I got around to some troubleshooting today. Your probably like who cares but any info and help would be appreciated.

1st, the car idles bad and goes lean when I start to slow down, so I ohmed out the ISC and it was 28 across. I tried to test the IPS and dont know if I was testing it right. It would open and close, but I couldnt get it to read any volts. Problem still exist. Help here.

2nd, I was getting a brake light, the orange housing light, and battery light all at the same time. Was told to check the alt., Problem fixed.

3rd, My overflow tank would spit out coolant without overheating the car. Change the t-stat and temp sensor. Good so far, I will keep a eye on this becasue this problem wasnt happening everyday.

Did a dry compression test and the results: 155(4), 165(3),130(2),170(1). Cylinder 2 is ok according to servicing but is over the 15psi between each cylinder. What do you guys think?

Also brought a bootleak tester, but I have to find a bov that has the end peace so I can recirculate it to do the test. I know some will say that this is probably my idling problem, but the car has been tuned and for a while, it was running perfect with it unvented. So I dont think the unvented bov is the problem and dont really want to get into a debait on it.

I checked timing with light. Looking at the mark from beside the tire it reads 10 degrees adv. Looking from the top(looking down at the cover) it reads at 5 degrees. Which one is accurate?

Any info would be great.:thumb:

Down the List of Problems, we go.

1. Have you checked why you are running lean? what I mean is check your basics. Oxygen sensors, may have fuel cut, other problems with the tune. Any different work done could have caused it to be off a little and run lean.

2. Over Heating Problem, Have you bleed all the air out of the coolant system? Has the upper or lower radiator hoses look damaged or swollen?

3. Try a wet compression test and see if you have any different results?

Down the List of Problems, we go.

1. Have you checked why you are running lean? what I mean is check your basics. Oxygen sensors, may have fuel cut, other problems with the tune. Any different work done could have caused it to be off a little and run lean.

2. Over Heating Problem, Have you bleed all the air out of the coolant system? Has the upper or lower radiator hoses look damaged or swollen?

3. Try a wet compression test and see if you have any different results?

o2 is about 3 months olds, and wot is fine. Its just when I slow down or at a complete stop. Rebuilt upgraded tranny, disc, pp, and flywheel 1000 miles ago, but problems existed before this work was done. The car wasnt overheating, just spitting out coolant from overflow tank.

a Log? seem to remember you having DSMlink not to long ago? Also you had no stock o2 right? you ever get that sorted out?

a Log? seem to remember you having DSMlink not to long ago? Also you had no stock o2 right? you ever get that sorted out?

Yea I spoke with you not too long ago. Im talking with ecmtuning now about upgrading to v3 lite and getting the wideband we discussed. I can post a log later today after work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back