The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g starting troubleshooting help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kolat

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 16, 2010
Spokane, Washington
This thread may be a little advanced for the newbie forum, but starting issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
car: 92 TSI AWD Auto

Issue: Fails to crank over when it's warm. Starts instantly once cooled down.

Top end of engine was re-built by a shop for previous owner, shop was a bunch of hacks, but thats another ball of problems.

Currently if I drive the car for any longish period of time (>30 min) then when I go to start the car is sometimes fails to turn over. I can hear the fuel pump relay click in the back, and hear a relay click in the ecu area. Moving the gear selector around does'nt change the results. My last 5 dsm's have been 5-speeds so I don't really know the order of operations for troubleshooting an auto is as far as the gear selector switch etc. The possible causes that I can come up with are.

Starter relay
gear indicator sensor?
Coolant temp sensor
Ecu caps?

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I have a few spare sets of caps around but I really despise doing the caps on my winter driver during the winter. I can't remember for the life of me if the coolant temp sensor failing causes the car to not turn over or if it just drops injector pulsewidth to 0, I think it drops the injectors but memory is fuzzy.

T

check to make sure the grounds are all tight on the battery and the engine. and there's always the possibility you're getting heat soak in the starter.

i have seen a start lock up when it got hot, had to tap it with a hammer to get it to turn over

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back