The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Trick to getting AWD trans reinstalled

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsx-box

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2006
Albany, New_York
Here is the scenario. I replaced the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate. No problem. However I can not get the awd trans back in place.

YES. I have the triangular piece off.

I swear that I am retarded or just getting old. I have been trying to get the AWD transmission back on after a clutch replacement and it is going on two weeks now with no success.

First I tried using using a floor jack to get the trans on and I was 90% there, but could not do the final alignment or get the bolts in. ( I did use a clutch alignment tool and have done 5-6 FWD turbo chrysler clutches before with zero problem)

Next I removed the cross support with the front motor mount (which shifted the motor back) got it 95% on, but because of engine position could not finish and trans fell off the jack several times.

Now I have an official transmission jack from a gas station. I secured the awd trans so that it wont move and now I can not position the trans to go up far enough without hitting something with either the diff or the front crossmember(attached to front mount).

How does evereryone else get their trans in. I am getting very frustrated.

Please provide advice as how to get it back on.:ohdamn:

IF anybody lives near Hartford, CT and knows the trick to get it back on I will give them $50 for their trouble if they help me bolt it up.

I did it with a normal jack, a piece of wood, and a trusty asian sidekick. :thumb:

You want to unbolt the tranny mount, it'll make your life easier, the worst part is getting the left side of the tranny (that is, left if you're looking at it as it would be going on the car) to clear the lower control arm as that POS hits everything on the way in. The way I did it was I wiggled the tranny right side in first, tilted the left side up so it'd go over the suspension, and then retard strengthed it onto the intermediate shaft and the little alignment nubs that are on the block.

Make sure you don't let the tranny rest its weight on the shaft once you get the tranny on the block, or you could damage it. As for wiggling the tranny back on the block, I had my trusty asian sidekick push the left side in and I'd push the right, and we'd alternate until it was on.

make sure the car is high enough, make sure the tranny is in neutral, and if you get mad enough just put it in your lap and pick it up in there... I have done it that route twice

make sure the car is high enough, make sure the tranny is in neutral, and if you get mad enough just put it in your lap and pick it up in there... I have done it that route twice

I used to do that with a fwd cyrsler trans install, but I am too weak now.

I did it with a normal jack, a piece of wood, and a trusty asian sidekick. :thumb:

You want to unbolt the tranny mount, it'll make your life easier, the worst part is getting the left side of the tranny (that is, left if you're looking at it as it would be going on the car) to clear the lower control arm as that POS hits everything on the way in. The way I did it was I wiggled the tranny right side in first, tilted the left side up so it'd go over the suspension, and then retard strengthed it onto the intermediate shaft and the little alignment nubs that are on the block.

Make sure you don't let the tranny rest its weight on the shaft once you get the tranny on the block, or you could damage it. As for wiggling the tranny back on the block, I had my trusty asian sidekick push the left side in and I'd push the right, and we'd alternate until it was on.

That is what I was afraid of. My buddy :notgood: is too lazy to drive to my house and help me out so it is a solo endevor.

His response to helping me out to stabilize it on a jack was to have me go to his house and grab the transmission jack, which still is useless as the floor jack.

Has anyone had success using a tranny jack while solo?

Or better yet anybody close to Hartford, CT that wants to earn a quick $50 helping me instal this pos awd trans?

Im sorry that your buddy wont help, im no where near it. What i used to do was lower the car, lean over the fender and lift it up. Itll sit there with no bolts. Lifting it like that is a lot easier than lifting it up from a sitting position.

ok the first time i did my trans for some reason it went right in i was so happy but that is not always the case. The second time i had my trans out i could not get the dam thing back in either.

First put the trans on the jack with the diff facing straight up.

Second Jack up the trans and push forward so the splines on the input shaft line up with the clutch.

Third rotate the trans down ward so the trans would fit like it normaly would. But dont allow the inpute shaft hold the wait of the trans always keep your hands on it. I hope this helped and did not confuse you more.

Unfortunately all methods seem to take either brute strength or a second person. Unfortunately once I blew out my rotator cuffs in my shoulder about 10 years agoe my bench press fell from 225 to about 90lbs, which is below the weight of the trans that rules out the brute strength methods.

I guess the only route is to get an second person, if there is anybody near Hartford, CT that wants to make a quick $75 and help me out by assisting put out the word.

An easier method, when going solo, is to remove the trans mount at the frame. Slide the trans under the car, nearly in position. Attach a chain to the trans at the mounting location. Use a cherry picker to raise the trans into place. The central location of the mount allows you to twist, pull and turn the trans easily. Something else I've done is to remove the crossmember, so as to be able to raise and lower the engine with a floor jack. Sometimes this helps to clear the diff from the crossmember. Good luck.

I use a dedicated tranny jack, hydraulic car jack, and the jack from the trunk. I lower the engine as much as possible using the hydraulic jack to allow the tranny to clear the sub-frame, then I use the car jack and place it between the block and subframe. This pushes the motor away from the sub-frame and clears room for the tranny. Once all the dowels start lining up the only thing that works well for me is the old "donkey kick" on the transmission cover to push it all together. I have yet to have a tranny that just slid together without some fight. It can easily be done solo.

On my FWD the tranny was always hitting a part of the heavy cross member the steering rack and lower control arms bolt to, so I completely unbolted this member (already had arms off it) and pulled it back a couple inches. This was after many many hours of jostling it around every which way. I had had it by this time and so went to this last resort.

Or better yet anybody close to Hartford, CT that wants to earn a quick $50 helping me instal this pos awd trans?

Yes, I did. You have to turn the transaxle counter clockwise a little, then it'll go right in there. Just about straight up once you do that. Its too wide to fit past a few points, unless you turn it first trust me. :thumb:

On my FWD the tranny was always hitting a part of the heavy cross member the steering rack and lower control arms bolt to, so I completely unbolted this member (already had arms off it) and pulled it back a couple inches. This was after many many hours of jostling it around every which way. I had had it by this time and so went to this last resort.

I did that for hours until my pops said lets turn it one way or the other, and see if it'lll go in. Bingo!

An engine hoist attached at the shifter cable bracket is perfect. After doing it a million times it's much faster for me to lean over the fender and "row" the trans up and slide it on, than to get the hoist out. But if i"m feeling lazy it takes 5 minutes with a hoist and only the subframe connector under the trans removed. I've never had any fittment problems with any of the chassis parts installing a trans.

This tranny jack works great for that. EBay has a used 450lb scissors cradle tranny jack for $35 (or get a new Central Hydraulics one at Harbor Freight for $83 item #39178-9VGA). This scissors jack used with your air gun becomes a power lift for the tranny!

Snakeyes711 is correct about rotating it (to get it past the big cross member part that sticks out in the way - this is the member that the lower control arms and steering rack bolt onto). It will go if you rotate it and position it just right.

Attachments

• tranny jack Harbor Freight #39178-9VGA.jpg
    tranny jack Harbor Freight #39178-9VGA.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,439
YES! I got that exact lift from Harbor freight tools. I think they were 75 dollars. Saved my life I'll tell you!

MAN UP! I put the trans on my lap and lift into place over the pins and have a buddy install the bolts.

Wasn't hard.

AWD trans' are heavy =)
With only one mount holding the engine and a jack on the oil pan(with a 2x4 or something better) the engine should drop enough for the trans to get by on the backside of the case.

MAN UP! I put the trans on my lap and lift into place over the pins and have a buddy install the bolts.

Wasn't hard.

:aha:man up.. haha, I fought that bi*** for over an hour, until My pops made me stop to go get the transmission jack.

:aha:man up.. haha, I fought that bi*** for over an hour, until My pops made me stop to go get the transmission jack.

I have done it twice once on my 90 and when I replaced the flywheel and clutch on my 91.

It does help to have a friend up top to help you manuver the trans into place over the dowel pins.

But again I'm in iowa and we like to do it the farmer way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back