The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Transmission usable after fire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattUnderwood

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2009
Harrisonburg, Virginia
so my car caught on fire on monday and it looks like the battery was the one that caused it(I don't know how) but I have my spare DSM that I'm thinking about using as my car now. The only thing is that the car that caught on fire had the transmission in it, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be wise for me to take the transmission out and using it with the transfer case that I need too. Would anyone have any input on the odds of the transmission still being usable? I Looked at the Mount today and it looked still intact but I could pull a piece off, like little thin slices in one spot(Just the like first layer if that. But the rest was still tough etc.) The shifter cables are still on the car, so tomorrow I gotta try and get them back off of it.

It should be fine but if the fire wa only in one spot it may have deformed it though i doubt that happened. The metal it is made with cab withstand A LOT of heat and pressure, but when heat is applied unevenly to metal it will weaken it much more than if applied evenly.

Well the fire looks like it started at the battery(I still don't know what caused it) but it made its way over to the drivers side and then inside the car and melted the passengers side dash and was on fire for about a total minutes of 10 minutes. I gotta try and get the cables off of it first. I just need this transmission to work for a few months until I get money for a new one. But thanks for the help guys.

I would replace the axle seals at least. Assuming it is an manual transmission. If it is an auto your probably going to need to replace some sensors. Also pay attention to the fluid when you drain it.

Just give it a good overlook and make sure that everything looks good and not melted or cracked. Maybe clean it up a bit so you can make a good assesment on it and you should be good to go. Hope it works again for you.

It looks like I'm probably not gonna do it, because I don't have the money right now to even buy new fluids and the small things that would need to be replaced on the Laser(my parts car) such as the coupler, spark plug wires, and other crap like valve cover gaskets. Oh and an axle. Maybe when I get money in the next month or so I can do it, but right now it looks like I'll be hitching rides with friends. Once I take the motor out of my burned car this week I'll keep everything and probably try it sometime. Thanks again guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back