The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Transmission tough to get in gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapper12b

Proven Member
Mar 7, 2013
St. Robert, Missouri
I have searched many threads and still need help figuring out my issue. First off, the car has been driving perfectly fine, no tranny slipping, clutch slipping etc. I was on my way home and in 3rd gear coasting, I went to shift to 2nd gear and it was hard to pull out of 3rd. I then attempted to put in 2nd and it wouldn't go in unless the syncros were lined up. I came to a stop and attempted to put in 1st. I had to slam it in gear and when I did the rpms dropped and almost killed the car, then I took off and it drove just fine. Then shift to 2nd, again have to wait for syncros to line up, then it drives perfect. What in the world would cause this all of the sudden? I crawled up under the dash and inspected the master cylinder. There is a little bit of fluid around it. I really hope my tranny is not bad.

Replace the leaky cylinder, trans could be toast, sounds like a bad tob, or clutch fork is broken, with a car you never know.

Bad masters can be a nightmare. Replace it with a mitsu oem, not autozone or the like. I went through three of the knockoffs in two weeks before biting the bullet and calling the dealer. It costs 2-3 times as much, but with something as important as the master cylinder, it's worth every penny.

Does this sound more like a master cylinder issue rather than a bad tranny, tob or fork? The tranny has not given me any symptoms what so ever.

Unless you know the history of it, it could be time for a rebuild adjust the linkage fix the leak, you never know.

Does you clutch pedal feel firm, or does it have a lot of play at the top before you feel any resistance?? If it feels rather floppy, then you most likely just need to adjust the clutch pedal, which is really easy to do.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back