The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transmission Tough to get in gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthvadar tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Recently the car has been hard getting in gear and half to use some effort to get it in. I figured it was the transmission oil and was very old when i changed it. I put 75-90 weight valvoline high performance gear oil in it. I drove the car and 3rd and 4th seem a little easier now but 1st and 2nd are still pretty tough going in? Should I try a different gear oil or a better brand? Or do I have a different issue?

I have the same problem, but my first gear is especially bad. Sometimes (when at a stop) I can't get it into first at all. It will jam and I have to pull it into neutral and try again.

Does this happen to you?

I don't understand transmissions to well but I'm guessing something is bent out of shape, like the shift fork or gear select mechanism. It doesn't grind at all so I'm guessing it's not the synchros.

Your thoughts?

I have the same problem, but my first gear is especially bad. Sometimes (when at a stop) I can't get it into first at all. It will jam and I have to pull it into neutral and try again.

Does this happen to you?

I don't understand transmissions to well but I'm guessing something is bent out of shape, like the shift fork or gear select mechanism. It doesn't grind at all so I'm guessing it's not the synchros.

Your thoughts?

This is exactly my problem also. First is the worst to get in gear and no grind at all. I hope its nothing serious.

This is exactly my problem also. First is the worst to get in gear and no grind at all. I hope its nothing serious.

I'm guessing it's a bent shift fork or gear select mechanism but I don't really know.

Maybe someone else (who knows transmissions) can chime in??

Yeah somebody is bound to here soon LOL. Can you even put yours in reverse? it grinds whenever i try to get it in so i dont even use it!

Yeah my reverse is just as bad as first. The only difference is that reverse grinds sometimes.

I also have a hard time getting it into 5th but this is different some how. It's not like first where it jams and refuses to go. 5th will go but it's really... heavy I guess is the best way to describe it.

I'll send a msg to Jack (from Jack's Transmission) see if I can get him to chime in...

Yeah my reverse is just as bad as first. The only difference is that reverse grinds sometimes.

I also have a hard time getting it into 5th but this is different some how. It's not like first where it jams and refuses to go. 5th will go but it's really... heavy I guess is the best way to describe it.

I'll send a msg to Jack (from Jack's Transmission) see if I can get him to chime in...

Yeah 5th isnt too bad for me but its a little heavier than the others. Yeah I bet he would know our problem.

Have you tried bleeding your clutch?

Yup. I have a new slave and master and they have been bled and adjusted as per Jack's video.

Also have new clutch PP/disc, flywheel, fork, TOB and pivot ball. Clutch throw is right on the money.

mine might need bleed out its a little squishy a new clutch and master cylinder was just put in mine. When the car is off the tranny shifts in gears like butter. When I turn it on It does all of the above.

Mine is the same way. Happened with a brand new 2100 w/solid 6-puck, ss line, all new ball, fork, tob, slave, master. We tried everything. I even swapped transmissions, same thing. Swapped cables, nogo. Fluid, nothing. I gave up with the 5-spd's, going auto hopefully this weekend.

Mine is the same way. Happened with a brand new 2100 w/solid 6-puck, ss line, all new ball, fork, tob, slave, master. We tried everything. I even swapped transmissions, same thing. Swapped cables, nogo. Fluid, nothing. I gave up with the 5-spd's, going auto hopefully this weekend.

Thanks but "going auto" is not a solution.

Thanks for letting us know what you've tried though. Cheers.

Last edited:

Hi,

The issues you are having with 'hard to shift' and being 'locked out' are signs of clutch issues. It is imperative that your clutch and flywheel are within spec and properly adjusted. Most of the transmission rebuilds we perform are because the user has ignored proper clutch adjustment and it destroyed the synchros.

For those of you having issues shifting, please: watch the video, read the tech article, watch the video again, and then test your car for clutch drag. If your car starts to roll forward below 7200rpm -- you most definitely have a clutch issue and it needs to be addressed.

Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back