The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transmission problems, difficult to shift, sometimes hard to get in gear...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewcool2

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 15, 2003
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Since I got my car maybe 6 months ago, my car has always been unsmooth to get into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear while driving. Sometimes, ide be shifting normally at like 3500rpms and it just will not go into the next gear without playing with it. Also, I could never shift quick at higher rpm's into 2nd or 3rd without it grinding.
Tonight, it just got worse. At an interesction I was playing with the shifter, and I couldn't get it into any gear(1st-5th). I was trying to jam it in first gear, and when it finally went in it sounded like my transmission fell out beneath me. Shifting the rest of the way home was more difficult than usual. It's very unsmooth. Seems even If I sycronize it, it's still a little difficult to change gears.

What can I try and do to solve my transmission problems?

Check your clutch engagement point to make sure it's not engaging right off the floor.

Change the fluid to one of the DSM favorites; Redline MTL or MT90, BG syncroshift, Penzoil syncroshift,
check the shift cables to make sure they're adjusted right.
or rebuild the tranny.

BG synchshift is prefered.

There is an adjustment at the clutch pedal. Read the FAQ about it. That should help you out a LOT. If that doesn't work then perhaps a rebuild.

pneumo- how do you adjust the shift linkage? I just got my new tranny on and sencond wont engage right and mitsu says its the linkage but I cant find anywhere to adjust it.

It's adjusted inside the car, under the shift knob. Just pull up the leather shifter boot and that's where the shift cables attach. There is a turnbuckle type of adjuster for each cable. The Haynes manual shows how to adjust it very clearly, and there might be a VFAQ on it, too.

be sure to check the clutch slave cylinder also and make sure its doing its job. when it goes out though the pedal will seem to get lighter and sometimes stick to the floor. try pumping the clutch in between gears and see if it makes it easier to go into gear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back