The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A Transmission problem - Broken Bellhousing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigoberto

Probationary Member
Aug 24, 2019
El Cajon, California
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

is it okay to put this transmission back in? Or should I buy a new one instead? It came off when I got the transmission off and I saw the crack when I was unbolting it as well.

I would at least buy a new belhousing.

That chunk missing will allow dust, dirt, critters, fluids etc to get on/near your clutch which is not good. That would also affect your torque. Having a missing belhousing bolt is not the best idea.

clean all the oil, grease and dirt from that half of the bellhousing, inside and out. then find somebody that tig welds aluminum. i'm fairly sure it can be re-attached

Yea I did what he said I bought some JB weld and put it back just letting it dry now
That is a structural bolt hole. I think you're wasting your time. If you have no other option I guess you have nothing to lose. If you ever run into this again there are other structural metal adhesives that would have been better options.

That is a structural bolt hole. I think you're wasting your time. If you have no other option I guess you have nothing to lose. If you ever run into this again there are other structural metal adhesives that would have been better options

What other adhesive should I use? The piece was able to move so I just took it off

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been 20 years since I did any. Fish around here or the like.

Years ago I did a spray adhesive with a catalyzed activator. Just as a test I glued a 2 inch fender washer onto a piece of steel angle. I put it in a vise and hit it 20 times with a 2 lb sledge hammer before I was able to knock the washer off. Google around and I'm sure you'll find something. Your parts will need to be clean clean clean.

BTW this wasn't for an automotive repair. It was something industrial in a manufacturing shop.
might work for your application. Welding would be better.

Having it welded is the best option. I’ve used quiksteel on my buddy’s cracked exhaust manifold and it held up for about a year. He sold the car so don’t know how it held up after that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back