1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Transmission noise ‍♂️

Posted by Ces4rDSM, Aug 15, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. tk106

tk106 Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Head should be fine. If it's stock manifold and turbo, you should be able to torque it with just a swivel and an extension.

119  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

119  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  2. tk106

tk106 Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Torque sequence: Start from the middle bolt and work your way out. 18-22ftlb. Be careful since they easily strip.

119  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

119  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  3. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Cheap? No.
    Rule of thumb....good. fast. Cheap....pick two

If you're going inside the transmission it's important that you fix what you find. If you just "send it" as I have seen so many people do then dont come crying when it breaks. Sad part is the cars are just old. Many many people dont realize the problems inside untill it's too late
    Moreover this was true 20 years ago but we still talk about dsm reliability. Or "unreliability".
    Just because your trans shifts well doesnt mean it's in good shape. I will admit sometimes you just have to "send it" but to replace an odd bearing or two and reshim isnt expensive. If any dsmer thinks it is then refer to the rule of thumb above.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    DSMPT likes this.
  4. 90TSiAWD_FPGreen

90TSiAWD_FPGreen Probationary Member

Joined Feb 18, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    While I know this started as a TOB thread, I want to comment on the timing side noise in your video. Your video there sounds exactly as mine did when I bought my car. Guy had just installed all new Gates timing components, including blue belt. I tested the noise by taking each belt off and listening for the noise but it remained. On my way to a local shop my engine shut down. I lifted the hood, removed the top timing cover and found the timing belt damaged. The cause was that the crank sprocket had moved away from the block due to the crank bolt never having been properly torqued down; it was hand tight! The timing belt got between the block and crank sprocket. Bent almost every one of the 16 valves. Put small dents in pistons too. Fixed it all and car has run great since, including like a stallion on steroids at the track. Please check you crank sprocket bolt.

Street Build 506  10

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    415 whp · 407 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  5. jkuga

jkuga Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2017
    Silverton, Oregon
    I figured I'd post here instead of making a new post. When my car is in neutral it makes a chirping noise, and when the clutch pedal is depressed the noise goes away. All these comments about throw out bearings going bad make me a little worried. The throw out bearing was replaced recently but I'm pretty sure it was non-oem. It does sound like a belt, but why would pushing in the clutch pedal have an effect on any belts?

Street Build 250  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM