The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transmission noise ‍♂️

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces4rDSM

Proven Member
Feb 2, 2019
watsonville, California
There has been a noise under my hood that worried me, did what I could until I knew I had to have a mechanic check it out. Results are: worn throw out bearing is what he says. In between shifts the noise decreases and stops on some shifts, I'm not sure whether the noise disappears when you step on the clutch since I have not touched car In 2 days I dont remember also I've been busy and tired Can anyone help me on potential risks or problems it could have ? Btw I have not changed the transmission fluid since I got it I will be inspecting the oil.

Pauleyman, that makes much more sense. I understand you better now and learned something new! Sadly yes I will have to drop trans any cheap modifications that can be done to strengthen the trans or around there?

Tk106 I'm not entirely sure if its leaking or I just didn't tighten that bottom middle bolt that's a pain to torque on the stock exhaust manifold. Suppose its warped, does that mean the head should be taken off too in order to stop the leak or just take the exhaust manifold to the machine shop?

Head should be fine. If it's stock manifold and turbo, you should be able to torque it with just a swivel and an extension.

Pauleyman, that makes much more sense. I understand you better now and learned something new! Sadly yes I will have to drop trans any cheap modifications that can be done to strengthen the trans or around there?

Tk106 I'm not entirely sure if its leaking or I just didn't tighten that bottom middle bolt that's a pain to torque on the stock exhaust manifold. Suppose its warped, does that mean the head should be taken off too in order to stop the leak or just take the exhaust manifold to the machine shop?
Cheap? No.
Rule of thumb....good. fast. Cheap....pick two

If you're going inside the transmission it's important that you fix what you find. If you just "send it" as I have seen so many people do then dont come crying when it breaks. Sad part is the cars are just old. Many many people dont realize the problems inside untill it's too late
Moreover this was true 20 years ago but we still talk about dsm reliability. Or "unreliability".
Just because your trans shifts well doesnt mean it's in good shape. I will admit sometimes you just have to "send it" but to replace an odd bearing or two and reshim isnt expensive. If any dsmer thinks it is then refer to the rule of thumb above.

While I know this started as a TOB thread, I want to comment on the timing side noise in your video. Your video there sounds exactly as mine did when I bought my car. Guy had just installed all new Gates timing components, including blue belt. I tested the noise by taking each belt off and listening for the noise but it remained. On my way to a local shop my engine shut down. I lifted the hood, removed the top timing cover and found the timing belt damaged. The cause was that the crank sprocket had moved away from the block due to the crank bolt never having been properly torqued down; it was hand tight! The timing belt got between the block and crank sprocket. Bent almost every one of the 16 valves. Put small dents in pistons too. Fixed it all and car has run great since, including like a stallion on steroids at the track. Please check you crank sprocket bolt.

I figured I'd post here instead of making a new post. When my car is in neutral it makes a chirping noise, and when the clutch pedal is depressed the noise goes away. All these comments about throw out bearings going bad make me a little worried. The throw out bearing was replaced recently but I'm pretty sure it was non-oem. It does sound like a belt, but why would pushing in the clutch pedal have an effect on any belts?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back