The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Transmission grinds in 2nd and 3rd bad, before and after new TOB

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolio

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
Port Charlotte, Florida
ok heres the deal, my clutch was on its way, and my car had a grinding issue in 2nd and 3rd gear, pretty bad, also if i just sat there and let it idle, you could here something inside of the transmission that sounded like metal chunks slapping around inside, so when i pushed the clutch in it would go away even if it was in netruel, so i figured wow since im doing this clutch and new TOB this problem should go away, guess again, i start it up and still you can here crap slapping inside the tranny and it still grinds, but if you push the clutch in or even go into gear the sound instantly goes away, i dont hear anything while im driving either, the only time the noise comes back is if i put it in neutruel and take my foot off the clutch then bam its back again, it has a brand new TOB, what could be going on?, you guys think i may be low on tranny fluid? or maybe i need some syncroshift?, cause the grinding in 2nd and 3rd doesnt grind bad until the car warms up or it is running at optimal engine temp. so im guessing once that tranny warms up my oil thins out and starts to grind my gears?, i also live in south florida so its pretty hot out everyday im ushally driving in 90degree weather on a daily basis

i have the SAME exact problem. I just had my clutch installed as well and a new OEM TOB. I hear the same metal scraping noise if press the clutch slowly....

well as soon as my car starts all you here is metal grinding in my tranny, untill i press the clutch in or put it in gear, i dont get it, hopefully someone has some kinda solution for us

Spoolio said:
well as soon as my car starts all you here is metal grinding in my tranny, untill i press the clutch in or put it in gear, i dont get it, hopefully someone has some kinda solution for us

How many miles on tranny, did you change the tranny fluid?
How did the fluid look?
Sounds like input shaft bearing. Hard to say over internet.

the tranny has 148k on it, i never changed the fluid in it and i doubt its ever been changed.

well if you want to look at it, ill be in capecoral tomorrow from 8am till about 3pm, at a place called lifeline, right off santa barbera, if you wanna take a look at it just hit me up on aim at hondapower238, ill tell ya where im at, or ill give ya my number or 2way number, lata

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back