The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Trans Rebuild in 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAIH

Probationary Member
Jan 20, 2021
West Linn, Oregon
Hey all,

Rebuilding My 95 Talon TSI AWD to 600hp. I have seen a few products, such as a billet insert to stabilize the Trans internals, to make our 5 speeds Trans more stable. Granted it's $800 billet insert, what other modifications can I do to make this resto-mod capable of handling say.... 700hp on track days. (Circut) I've looked into rebuilds into various vendors as well as dog box or sequential conversions, however... I'm going for a resto-mod that can hurt feelings from time to time. One thing I am waiting for is a Uni-clutch out of Australia, but any pointers and or experience is appreciated. Building to 600 awhp but will be dallying it, per se, on a regular basis ant 350/400hp. Again, any pointers, advise, or threads will be appreciated. Located In Portland Oregon if there are any Dsm Mentors available in the PNW.

Hey all,

Rebuilding My 95 Talon TSI AWD to 600hp. I have seen a few products, such as a billet insert to stabilize the Trans internals, to make our 5 speeds Trans more stable. Granted it's $800 billet insert, what other modifications can I do to make this resto-mod capable of handling say.... 700hp on track days. (Circut) I've looked into rebuilds into various vendors as well as dog box or sequential conversions, however... I'm going for a resto-mod that can hurt feelings from time to time. One thing I am waiting for is a Uni-clutch out of Australia, but any pointers and or experience is appreciated. Building to 600 awhp but will be dallying it, per se, on a regular basis ant 350/400hp. Again, any pointers, advise, or threads will be appreciated. Located In Portland Oregon if there are any Dsm Mentors available in the PNW.

Reach out to TMZ (Tim Zimmer), TRE (Jon Ripple) or Jacks Transmission for all those things and questions. This is a topic that is very well covered but the issue will be parts availability as most things are either already discontinued or are slowly getting there part by part. I can already tell you from experience, the gears themselves are EXTREMELY hard to find in good condition and evo3 gears are more rare. There is currently a company that is in the prototype stage for 5 speed gear sets but the group buy ended, there has been ZERO testing and is almost as expensive as a dog box.

Last edited:
Reach out to TMZ (Tim Zimmer), TRE (Jon Ripple) or Jacks Transmission for all those things and questions. This is a topic that is very well covered but the issue will be parts availability as most things are either already discontinued or are slowly getting there part by part. I can already tell you from experience, the gears themselves are EXTREMELY hard to find in good condition and evo3 gears are more rare. There is currently a company that is in the prototype stage or 5 speed gear sets but the group buy ended, there has been ZERO testing and is almost as expensive as a dog box.
I have looked into TRE and I've heard of TMZ in a few threads. Not sure how all the new billet parts and mods work into their builds, but have been looking into them as the primary sources for a rebuild. Is there any more or other sources for transfer cases and rear diffs as well? I get our platform is getting to be more of a rarity every day but just wanting to overbuild this for the sake of having a legend live on, let alone having a family heirloom survive.

I'll skip to the conclusion and tell you what they'll tell you: if you want to keep stock gears and have some longevity, dial back your power goal to 450 hp max and never touch that 600 level. If not, it's a PAR or PPG gear set, which will total out to $10,000+ with all the bells and whistles. The billet bearing plate can't save gears that were designed for 243 ft-lbs of torque.

I have looked into TRE and I've heard of TMZ in a few threads. Not sure how all the new billet parts and mods work into their builds, but have been looking into them as the primary sources for a rebuild. Is there any more or other sources for transfer cases and rear diffs as well? I get our platform is getting to be more of a rarity every day but just wanting to overbuild this for the sake of having a legend live on, let alone having a family heirloom survive.

Trust me, they will explain all the billet parts and stuff to you. Everything is usually broken down into "stages" depending on your needs and wallet. Boostin Performance and Magnus are two examples of parts suppliers that work directly with them for rebuilds. Reach out to any of those I mentioned on messenger or email and they will help you out.

I'll skip to the conclusion and tell you what they'll tell you: if you want to keep stock gears and have some longevity, dial back your power goal to 450 hp max and never touch that 600 level. If not, it's a PAR or PPG gear set, which will total out to $10,000+ with all the bells and whistles. The billet bearing plate can't save gears that were designed for 243 ft-lbs of torque.
That is a good point, less my knowledge of the torque rating the gears were meant to handle. I was hoping there was a bit more of a broad market these days since I've been seeing so many new/ available billet pieces available. (Though limited on the Trans and drive train componants) I thought I might have been missing something. Thank you.

Trust me, they will explain all the billet parts and stuff to you. Everything is usually broken down into "stages" depending on your needs and wallet. Boostin Performance and Magnus are two examples of parts suppliers that work directly with them for rebuilds. Reach out to any of those I mentioned on messenger or email and they will help you out.
Though I would trust them in sourcing parts and their recommendations, English racing is just 45 min or so from where I live. Sounds like I'll be needing/ will be paying them a visit and see what knowledge they can share with me.
Honestly with all this advice/ recommendations on the next steps in my build is making me realize that I'm at the step that I need some professionals/ experienced knowledge to set this build up right. Thank you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back